PDA

View Full Version : night and morning dew affect on sealant curing

Ryan R
09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
rule of thumb...don't let any water on the surface while the sealant is curing.

My question always is...what if I apply sealant in the evening on a non garage kept car...now the moisture is going to bead up on the surface all night and early morning

I've never really noticed any issues with this but I'm wondering if it just affects the durability or longevity of the product

Silverstone
09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
From what I've heard it does mess up the sealant.

If you can get the car under any kind of covering, even an open sided canopy, it won't get the moisture on it. So maybe a cheap car cover or large tarp might work? Or renting a one day canopy from a party place? These are the ideas I've been kicking around anyway.

Larry A
09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I dont think that dew will hurt the sealant. I dont think that light rain will hurt it either. Some people will use a spray sealant/wax on a fresh sealant , I think that the spray sealant/wax will hurt the sealant because theres alcohol in spray sealant/waxes and you are rubbing the paint.

david79z28
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
What kind of sealant did you use??

I had a similar question with Meguiars M21 and had no issues after it got wet 4 hours after application. Other members had stated that cure time depends on the sealant. So, it may or may not have any effect...

Ryan R
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
I was directing it more towards any sealants. No particular one but I do look for the ones with the least cure time just incase

BobbyG
09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Today most of the sealants I have are water based.

Tech Note: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a water-based, oxygen activated paint sealant. After buffing off the sealant, the remaining coating needs to cure for 12 hours in dry conditions to fully bond to the paint. Exposure to moisture during this time will drown the polymers. For the best results, allow 12 hours of curing time.

FussMan
09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
BobbyG..you really new to write a book, have your own webiste. Your knowledge and resources are truely amazing. Not to mention the thousands and thousands of $$$$ revenue you have generated for AutoGeek with your expert recommendations!

Fussman

Ryan R
09-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Today most of the sealants I have are water based.

Tech Note: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a water-based, oxygen activated paint sealant. After buffing off the sealant, the remaining coating needs to cure for 12 hours in dry conditions to fully bond to the paint. Exposure to moisture during this time will drown the polymers. For the best results, allow 12 hours of curing time.

Thank you Bobby. I've seen the 12 hour cure rule plenty of times. Lots moisture here in the New England states. Heck I barely finished cutting my grass by 7pm and it was wet

Chris's FX4
09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
When I applied the WG Sealant to my truck I just parked it under a tree for the night. No dew on the paint, and luckily no tree or animal droppings.

BobbyG
09-26-2011, 08:31 PM
BobbyG..you really new to write a book, have your own webiste. Your knowledge and resources are truely amazing. Not to mention the thousands and thousands of $$$$ revenue you have generated for AutoGeek with your expert recommendations!

Fussman

Thank you and you're very welcome!! I try to be helpful where I can be but I'm just another piece of the puzzle like you and everyone else here. We all have something to bring to the game....:props:

Now, I may have to talk to Autogeek about the bump in revenue. I did see they've built a brand new facility now that you mention it.....:bat: :laughing:

shoeless89
09-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Fussman

:iagree:

oldmodman
09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
How about wash & polish the car on Saturday.
Then apply the sealant first thing Sunday morning, then let it cure in the sun all day Sunday.
That should eliminate the not dry (cured) sealant/water problem.

BobbyG
09-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you Bobby. I've seen the 12 hour cure rule plenty of times. Lots moisture here in the New England states. Heck I barely finished cutting my grass by 7pm and it was wet

Lately Ryan you're exactly right! The humidity over the last 2 weeks has been almost unbearable. I live in Southeast MA so I'm right in the middle of it with you....