PDA

View Full Version : New Car 2012 Sonata 2.0T SE

adamfox
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I have ordered my new 2012 Sonata 2.0T Se in black. It should be here within 4 weeks; I live in St. John's, Newfoundland. This is my second car, my first was a base model cobalt, which got me through University, and now that I've had a "real" job for a few years, and saved up enough money to get a new car, I'm kind of excited :) It might not be a BMW yet but everything comes in time.

I have read a lot of topics on this website, and countless reviews of products, and I'm aware that everyone's opinion is different, but I am ordering some products through auto geek with a budget of about $300-400 and was wondering what some of your views are on some products.

What would you recommend for a drying towel, microfiber cloths for applying seleat and wax, what sealent to buy, and what wax to buy. I'm between pinnicale and fuzion, and the sealent I don't know. It will all be applied by hand, so that might make a difference. I have moderate experience, and the dealer will not be touching the car.

Thanks in advance!

onlycodered
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
If you are getting a black car BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html) is the way to go. As far as microfiber towels go, pretty much anything from Cobra will do. Their towels are top notch.

If your budget is $300 to $400 you may even want to consider picking up a Porter Cable 7424XP along with the Meguiar's DA microfiber system as well so you can polish your new car as well.

adamfox
09-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I gotta say, I'm kind of nervous polishing a new car with no experience. Although it might be too bad. What about a wax to go over the black sealant?

onlycodered
09-26-2011, 12:07 PM
I gotta say, I'm kind of nervous polishing a new car with no experience. Although it might be too bad. What about a wax to go over the black sealant?The only thing putting a wax on top of your sealant will get you is a better shine but honestly with Blackfire Wet Diamond you really don't need any wax on top. It looks just as good as a carnauba wax by itself.

adamfox
09-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes By'

And how about a drying towel? Any recommendations?

CAMAROZL1
09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes By'

And how about a drying towel? Any recommendations?

I personally like the Meg. Water Magnet towels. A lot of people here rave about the cobra guzzlers but I have no experience with them yet.

Y2KSVT
09-26-2011, 12:27 PM
If you have a leaf blower, use it for drying. Then use a waffle weave microfiber drying towel to blot any water droplets you missed with the leaf blower. Cobra makes these towels but there are some others on the site that work well.

Congratulations on your new car! I feel a new Sonata SE in my future, but I don't know if I'll go the turbo route. It'll just give me reason to want to modify it. :props:

DLB
09-26-2011, 12:30 PM
First of all - congrats on the car! I am certain you will love it, my wife and I have the 2011 2.0T Sonata. It is Harbor Gray Metallic though.

You shouldn't need to polish your car when you get it. Mine came great from the factory. Just be sure and implicitly tell the dealership and service that you don't want a free wash. I had to take mine back in just after purchase, and I had already fully detailed it, and they still washed it. Went it swirl free, came out with enough to make me mad.

Anyhow - I would just go with the Blackfire as mentioned above. Get you some ReLoad to keep it fresh, and a few towels and you are set.

As for a drying towel I love my Guzzler's...

DLB

adamfox
09-26-2011, 01:17 PM
So how do you find the sonata? Any other products you generally use on it?

Mike Phillips
09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
:xyxthumbs:
Like this?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/2012HyundaiSonataLimited2_0T.jpg

(That picture is in your gallery now)

What would you recommend for a drying towel, microfiber cloths for applying seleat and wax, what sealant to buy, and what wax to buy.

I'm between pinnacle and Fuzion, and the sealant I don't know. It will all be applied by hand, so that might make a difference.

Both Pinnacle and Fuzion work great on black paint and the real key to keeping your car looking great all the time is to find something you like and use it often, at least often enough to maintain the appearance at a level that meets your expectations.

How you drive and park/store the car are HUGE factors, suffice to say a garage queen driven on Sunday's will stay in better shape than a daily driver parked outside 24 by 7

How to maintain a freshly waxed car (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/40056-how-maintain-freshly-waxed-car.html)

I have moderate experience, and the dealer will not be touching the car.

Thanks in advance!

Good thinking... avoid the whole swirl problem caused by dealerships...

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28401-diso-dealership-installed-swirl-option.html)

:xyxthumbs:

onlycodered
09-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Also, another tip to help when drying your car after a wash is to flood the panels with water. Basically take all attachments off the end of your hose and just flood all the panels with water. This may not work as well the first time when you have nothing protecting on your finish but once you have a sealant or wax on there, all the water will collect and just drain right off the panels.