PDA

View Full Version : Anything to keep my windows from fogging?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kinalyx
09-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Im trying to figure out what kind of “anti-fog” products are out there, and what actually works. I like to drive with my windows down, but its hard to do in the mornings with all of Houston’s humidity. My defroster cant keep up with the humidity coming into the car, so I end up having to keep my windows up.

Is there any anti-fog type products that work well? Being safe on tint would be a plus so I can use it on the rear window as well.

Shawn

shoeless89
09-26-2011, 01:06 PM
The only thing I know of is a Rain-X product anti-fog product that I've seen at Autozone.

Shawn

JBL
09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Im trying to figure out what kind of “anti-fog” products are out there, and what actually works. I like to drive with my windows down, but its hard to do in the mornings with all of Houston’s humidity. My defroster cant keep up with the humidity coming into the car, so I end up having to keep my windows up.

Is there any anti-fog type products that work well? Being safe on tint would be a plus so I can use it on the rear window as well.

Shawn

I used to keep a can of shaving cream in my Bronco for this very reason, but it must contain Menthol. Try it out on your bathroom mirror before your next shower.

Dark Knight
09-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I have used the RainX FogX and don't waste your money it doesn't work.

DaHen
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I have used the RainX FogX and don't waste your money it doesn't work.

:iagree: Same here. Haven't been able to find any product that will work.

Kinalyx
09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
###, so no one makes an anti fog coating?

Midnight1700
09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I run my A/C and turn the heat up. I don't know what it is about this, but it works and I've been doing it for years. Keeps the car comfortable too.

Kinalyx
09-26-2011, 09:27 PM
lol, that would work if i wasnt in houston. its already hot

Wes8398
09-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I run my A/C and turn the heat up. I don't know what it is about this, but it works and I've been doing it for years. Keeps the car comfortable too.

This would be exactly what the "defrost" or "defog" setting on your climate control would be. A/C works by drawing moisture out of the air, the same moisture that's accumulating on the inside of your windshield.

Lasthope05
09-26-2011, 11:04 PM
I used to keep a can of shaving cream in my Bronco for this very reason, but it must contain Menthol. Try it out on your bathroom mirror before your next shower.

+1

This is the only thing that actually works. I use the gel instead because that is what I have on hand. You can also used a diluted dish soap and water. The shaving cream and dish soap acts as a surfactant and prevents the fog from forming up. Dont use the rain-x for fog, absolute garbage.

tag4car
09-27-2011, 12:01 AM
I've heard that a qd can do the same thing, I'll have to try and see what happens

Matt
09-27-2011, 12:24 AM
The heat works because it heats up the glass and doesn't allow the evaporated water in the air to lose its heat energy to the glass (condensing the evaporated water and becoming liquid on the glass).

As for preventing fogging up, the reason it fogs is because when the water condenses, it becomes extremely small beads of water. Your best option is to avoid glass cleaners on the inside of the glass that contain silicones or waxes as they make the surface bead. Most aerosol cleaners also cause slight water beading (I'm not 100% sure why, but I'd assume it's to do with the propellent).

I've found both DP Krystal Vision and the Meg's glass cleaner concentrate (made to the recommended 10:1 dilution) to be good non-beading cleaners. To stop the fogging that is currently happening, if you can find a black and white newspaper that's still produced using old printing processes (ammonia based inks), using that with your glass cleaner (or distilled water) may help to remove any oils, otherwise time is the only option I can suggest.

As for the QD suggestion, if it causes water beading on paint, it will make the fogging worse.

Rei86
09-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Don't know what's with all the hate for RainX Fog but it worked for me. The only issue was that it had a relatively short life (about a week tops).

You know what you could keep in your car that would help aid in fogging up, Moisture Control, Odor Control & Healthier Indoor Air | DampRid (http://www.damprid.com/)

Seriously it works.

dougaross
09-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I have used the RainX FogX and don't waste your money it doesn't work.:iagree:

JBL
09-27-2011, 08:11 AM
+1

This is the only thing that actually works. I use the gel instead because that is what I have on hand. You can also used a diluted dish soap and water. The shaving cream and dish soap acts as a surfactant and prevents the fog from forming up. Dont use the rain-x for fog, absolute garbage.

Thank you! I was beginning to think people thought I was pulling their leg or something.

I've never tried the dish soap though...TO THE BATHROOM!