PDA

View Full Version : Aquapel issue.

panthercz
09-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Okay, first let me state that I've used Aquapel in the past with no problems. This time however there were some issues.

I was applying Aquapel to the front windshield but when I cracked the two little wings on the Aquapel applicator and began applying it, it began smoking like when you pour hydrochloric acid onto a base. It burned my nose and throat and left horrible streaking on the windshield that required me to polish the Aquapel off.

Windshield is on a 2010 car that was power washed, washed with CG Citrus Wash, polished with DP Glass Restorer and cleaned again with Invisible Glass before applying Aquapel.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen with Aquapel?? I've never come across a problem with using it before.

IOMCAMARO
09-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Did you do this outside? I know that if you spray or apply stuff to glass outside, that it will tend to smoke off.

Darn Yankee
09-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Okay, first let me state that I've used Aquapel in the past with no problems. This time however there were some issues.

I was applying Aquapel to the front windshield but when I cracked the two little wings on the Aquapel applicator and began applying it, it began smoking like when you pour hydrochloric acid onto a base. It burned my nose and throat and left horrible streaking on the windshield that required me to polish the Aquapel off.

Windshield is on a 2010 car that was power washed, washed with CG Citrus Wash, polished with DP Glass Restorer and cleaned again with Invisible Glass before applying Aquapel.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen with Aquapel?? I've never come across a problem with using it before.

This happen to me yesterday. I also had some white partials that came out with the liquid, and for the 1st time I had enough in the capsule (applicator) to do the back windows. I normally have only enough to cover windshield and side mirrors.
I just thought I had the fan blowing toward me this day and had not in the past. It did stay wet longer as well, like it was not drying as fast as it had in the past. I had plenty of time to dry it off. On the 3 packets I used before this I had to run around to the other side mirrors and put it on before the packet dried out.
It did seem to wipe off ok, maybe just a bum packet. I will ask the owner of the car in a few weeks to ensure it is still working well. It was one on my Co-workers car.
I had not thought too much about it until I saw this post as it wiped off well.
Thanks

BobbyG
09-25-2011, 06:29 AM
I too use Aquapel and have never seen it actually smoke it is very strong stuff so I suspect what you're seeing is normal for the product....

The odor emitted once the wings are squeezed and the product is released into the pad is very strong and if inhaled will burn your sinus and eyes. The odor smells allot like acetic acid which is very strong.

MSDS

Causes eye irritation. May cause slight skin irritation. Vapor and/or spray mist may be harmful if inhaled. Vapor irritates eyes, nose and throat. May be harmful if swallowed.
Keep away from heat, sparks, flames and other sources of ignition.

Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not breathe vapors. Use only with
adequate ventilation. Ventilation must be sufficient to minimize employee exposure in the work area. Do not swallow. Wash thoroughly after handling.

ScottB
09-25-2011, 08:38 AM
I dont smell it .. but will note it does a little smoke when canisters first shaken and then broke. The only issue I have is making sure you buff off any excess before it dries. Heres what I do:

1. Break canister and apply to glass (move quickly)
2. wife follows me with paper towel and wipes excess and spreads evenly on any missed corners
3. Buff off with a MF towel

Darn Yankee
09-25-2011, 09:33 AM
I dont smell it .. but will note it does a little smoke when canisters first shaken and then broke. The only issue I have is making sure you buff off any excess before it dries. Heres what I do:

1. Break canister and apply to glass (move quickly)
2. wife follows me with paper towel and wipes excess and spreads evenly on any missed corners
3. Buff off with a MF towel

Do you normally get the windshield only before you run out of time and it is dried? Just wondering. Maybe I am moving to slow.

I like the product very much. I will keep using it, just turn the fan in the garage the other direction, LOL :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Do you normally get the windshield only before you run out of time and it is dried? Just wondering. Maybe I am moving to slow.

I like the product very much. I will keep using it, just turn the fan in the garage the other direction, LOL :xyxthumbs:

I do my entire windshield and side windows with moving at blazing speed. Once I'm sure I have complete coverage I grab a couple Microfiber glass towels and finish it up nicely! :props:

slimnib
09-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I am sorry. Ijust cannot understand why anyone would use this stuff. Is sounds very risky. Just for clean windows?

Darn Yankee
09-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I do my entire windshield and side windows with moving at blazing speed. Once I'm sure I have complete coverage I grab a couple Microfiber glass towels and finish it up nicely! :props:

Thanks Bobby, Thought I might be getting slower in my younger years.:props:

panthercz
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Hmm, well since I'm not the only one to get the white smoke I guess it isn't a phenomenon limited to that one applicator.

Oh, and I did apply it inside. I always try to do as much work as possible inside.

I'll chalk up my issue as perhaps a one time thing...at I least I hope so since I bought a 6 pack.

Thanks for the replies. :)

richy
09-26-2011, 06:17 PM
I am sorry. Ijust cannot understand why anyone would use this stuff. Is sounds very risky. Just for clean windows?

This is why: it's an amazing product

Aquapel on windshield during rain - YouTube

BobbyG
09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks Bobby, Thought I might be getting slower in my younger years.:props:

No problem Jim but it should have said "without" moving at blazing speed! My error and I apologize for the confusion...

I think it's natural that when trying something new we tend to go slow and proceed cautiously. This is not only natural it makes lots of sense in most cases.

As long as you have complete coverage the product is working. Once you do it a couple of times you'll cut the application time by 30% to 40% which is huge with time sensitive products....

rakkvet
09-26-2011, 10:43 PM
We use it all the time at the shop. Occasionally we will get the ones that smoke. They've applied just like normal.

It's a great product.

shoeless89
09-27-2011, 07:51 AM
This is why: it's an amazing product

Aquapel on windshield during rain - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C16-y94qMbQ&feature=player_embedded)

Looks dangerous driving and filming lol

richy
09-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Looks dangerous driving and filming lol

Naaahh..it wasn't that bad. Hell, I didn't spill my whiskey or burn myself with the roach!!!:laughing::cheers::D