PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever see anything like this?

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
This is an interior panel on the rear door of a vehicle I did last weekend. Everything else was just very dirty but this panel appeared to be dissolved. I asked the owner if they had applied something to it at some point and they told me they had never noticed it!

Any ideas?

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j376/CEEDOG7/TEMP/IMG_9543.jpg

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j376/CEEDOG7/TEMP/IMG_9542.jpg

Flash Gordon
09-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes, I've seen this before. Seems like it was on an Expedition or something as hideous. Nothing you can do for that Corey

BobbyG
09-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Corey,

I'm assuming that it was like that "before" your detail? :laughing:

My guess it came in contact with something either a chemical or perhaps heat that caused it to breakdown. Could someone possibly have used a reducer or thinner in an attempt to "deep clean" a spot or grime?

It definitely looks like it's melted...

Another possibility is that the material was defective from the factory..

Dr Oldz
09-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Was it near the leaking nuke plant in Japan?

BobbyG
09-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Was it near the leaking nuke plant in Japan?

Jim,

You may be on to something here! :laughing:

kronos
09-24-2011, 08:22 PM

:iagree: This would be my guess. That looks wicked!

Flash Gordon
09-24-2011, 08:31 PM

This is definitly the case ^ My customer didn't do anything to theirs. If memory serves me, it was only one door panel

Now if I could just remember what car/truck this was :dunno:

Impressions
09-24-2011, 09:04 PM
3M spray adhesive......maybe the vinyl came off and tried to re glue. I use it all the time and leaves the same patterns
Looks like a Ford maybe Escape????

CEE DOG
09-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes Bobby, LOL! that was a before picture. I did the rest of the interior and the rest of that door. I was thinking I would scrub that little panel but just touching it it would start to disinegrate so I didn't touch it. Just showed the owenr and asked him if he wanted me to try or not and warned him I had no clue what would happen.

This was a Ford also but a Taurus.

Flash Gordon
09-24-2011, 09:07 PM
3M spray adhesive......maybe the vinyl came off and tried to re glue. I use it all the time and leaves the same patterns

If thats the case some knucklehead sprayed the wrong side of the panel :doh:

Shane731
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
My guess is there was fabric there before and the adhesive holding it there was starting to come apart making the fabric come away from the panel, so somebody just ripped it off instead of fixing it. Is that area sticky or tacky at all?

Flash Gordon
09-24-2011, 11:09 PM
My guess is there was fabric there before and the adhesive holding it there was starting to come apart making the fabric come away from the panel, so somebody just ripped it off instead of fixing it. Is that area sticky or tacky at all?

The one I did wasn't sticky. It was factory ugly

Kristopher1129
09-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Never seen that before. Looks horrible! Refuse the vehicle...we can't have stuff like that goin on, lol.

CEE DOG
09-24-2011, 11:46 PM

Not sticky or tacky. If I touched it it would just disintigrate like cookie crumbs. All the panels were vinyl/leather.

kimtyson
09-25-2011, 11:09 AM
It looks really familiar to me. I have a 2001 Taurus, leather interior. The vehicle was bought used about 3 months ago. It is in excellent condition, including the interior. Unfortunately, about a week after getting it, and in the hot summer sun, we noticed that the one piece of door material had dropped off. In fact, it looks to be the exact same panel as you have pictured here. Took it to the dealer, who had their expert "repair" it. Then, in less than a week, it pulled off again. I believe it had been "repaired" previously. And now it appears that it will not be an easy fix. What I think you see there is the spongy part of the door that SHOULD be covered with a leather piece. The sponge rubs off as you touch it. It's a real mess.