PDA

View Full Version : quick question: can I use car wax for wheel rim?

szjalo
09-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Wax like NXT, ultimate wax? can I apply them to the wheel rim? will they be corrosive to the metal?

or will they do harm to the rubber ?

thanks

rider9195
09-24-2011, 02:32 PM
These waxes would not harm the rim surface or rubber. I have used Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Collinite 845 on my wheels with great success.

SeaJay's
09-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I've used car wax on my rims with no problem. Typically I go with something that is designed for rims though (DP wheel glaze or Wheel armor, wheel wax, etc) or a high durability wax such as Collinite 845. I've also used Ultima Trim & Tire Guard on my chrome rims and it works great as well. Been on my HHR rims for about 4 months now.

And I'm assuming when you said do harm to the rubber you mean your tires. I would ensure you wipe off any wax you get on the tire as it may leave a white residue when it drys. Do not apply wax to the tire.

poweraid
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
absolutely safe on your wheels. I use menzerna powerlock and 845 . next year I'm opti 2.0 them . how's that saying go " fix it and forget it " ?

BobbyG
09-24-2011, 02:46 PM
:iagree: All good information!!

Any wax or protective coating you put on your wheels will provide a barrier between it and the contaminates trying to destroy it.

Whether wax, wheel sealant, a high tech coating, all will keep your wheels cleaner make it easier to wash them with regular soap and water...

slickooz
09-24-2011, 02:53 PM
yeppp :props:

Finemess
09-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I use NXT 2.0 on my wheels as well as 845 and DP wheel glaze. NXT does'nt last long, but cleans and shines well.

FussMan
09-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I do it the lazy way....Opti-Seal Spray and maintenace with Optimum Spray Wax....its simple, effortless and the results are amazing.

:dblthumb2:

Fussman

ScottB
09-24-2011, 05:30 PM
wax wont hold up the extreme heat wheels see, perhaps a sealant or coating is a better option.

FussMan
09-24-2011, 06:42 PM
wax wont hold up the extreme heat wheels see, perhaps a sealant or coating is a better option.

I find that really interesting, I didnt give alot of thought about the heat wheels are subjected to...when I googled carnuba I got this:

"A temperature of 172 degrees Fahrenheit (78 degrees Celsius) is required to melt carnauba wax. It is also not readily soluble. Water cannot break down a layer of carnauba wax, and only certain solvents can, usually in combination with heat."

Any idea how hot wheels get? I assume the heat is from braking? As an after thought, I have one of those lazer heat guns that register the temp of the surface. I wish I would of tested the hood surface after a long drive under the hot summer sun. I'll put it on my 2012 do to list. (Anyone ever do that?)

Thanks again for the info!

:dblthumb2: