PDA

View Full Version : QS scratched up my vette side view mirror!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ltoman
02-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe some of you guys can help me figure this out. I was using a Cobra indigo towel - clean of course - and ck quickshine on my car.
Figured while I was at it, I would clean the side mirrors as they were spotted from Tuesday's wash, and I never fixed them. CK -- it says on the bottle it is good for everything - including glass and mirrors, just not for use on tires.

I touched up a waterspot on my car with it, then used Stoner's glass with the towel to do the side mirrors; now one is all marred up. I used plexis, soap and water - no change. It is $40 for the mirror and $45 to install, so for now, I am leaving it.
But I am very unhappy.
WHY did this happen?
The towel did not damage or swirl the spot I touched up, and it was clean.

Anyone?
See this is what I have come to expect from American auto makers .... no offense to anyone. It annoys the hell outta me.
Feed back please Feed back please Thank you,
Lauren

Surfer
02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
One of my sideview mirrors has swirls in, most likely a tiny piece of grit maybe fromthe waterspot etched the glass when wiping. Side view mirrors have a reflective coating that scratches so easy. Never use #0000 steel wool on them either, learned that lesson:o

Gary Sword
02-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear that happen to your baby Lauren. I would be upset too. It's hard to imagine quickshine on a MF doing that even though I have never used quickshine.

Nuke33
02-08-2007, 10:11 PM
That sucks im sorry :(

bambo2888
02-08-2007, 10:14 PM
i'd say call corporate and explain it to them. i wouldnt let a product that states is safe for use make me pay $100 to fix something it f'd up.

dengood1
02-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I would say it definitely was NOT quickshine, rather something in the microfiber towel you used, or possibly something from the water spots, which in fact are mineral deposits. Not sure though Lauren, try some finishing polish on them and see what happens. They are painted red like the vette, right?

Nica
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi Lauren,

Sorry to hear about your baby all scratched up. Wish I could help but my knowledge is limited. Wish you the best let us know how you make out.

Surfer
02-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Oh wait I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about the mirror itself, the encasing. Yeh it wasn't QS, waterspots are mineral depsoits, you'd be suprised at what one tiny little grain will do if caught in micro and rubbed.

ltoman
02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
I would say it definitely was NOT quickshine, rather something in the microfiber towel you used, or possibly something from the water spots, which in fact are mineral deposits. Not sure though Lauren, try some finishing polish on them and see what happens. They are painted red like the vette, right?
no, it is the actual mirror that is scratched! not the red portion. scratches appear larger than they actually are!

Nica
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
scratches appear larger than they actually are!

Ah yes, that is the sense of humor I've been missing hahahahaha good one, glad to see you still got it babe.

Hey have you tried taking a :Picture: of it?

Surfer
02-08-2007, 11:07 PM
no, it is the actual mirror that is scratched! not the red portion. scratches appear larger than they actually are!Ahhh then I guess I was right before, yeh, the reflective coating scratches very easily. It wasn't the QS.

3Dog
02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Could it be that big rock on your ring finger!!!!!!
:p

:)

ltoman
02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Could it be that big rock on your ring finger!!!!!!
:p

:)
LOL, I do not detail with jewelry...so no - besides it looks more like it was lightly wiped across with brillo - they cover the surface, not just one.
oh well.
for now, i am not replacing it - they are not deep.

3Dog
02-09-2007, 12:14 AM
And you thought I was going to give you some helpful advice :D

Well Ok, you could try some XMT C-Glaze or even some wax....if it is slight enough it might fill in till you get ready to replace.

Kelso
02-09-2007, 12:16 AM
that was not quickshine, had to be grit. i had a mirror fall out once but it was only 20 bucks for my old junker 240sx...85 bucks to get a mirror put in....rediculous