PDA

View Full Version : Would this be ok?

Dark Knight
09-24-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm going to do a winter detail on both of my trucks. They both have very minor blemishes and water spots so what i'm going to do is.

1. Wash
2.Clay
3.Rewash
4.Megs Microfiber system
5. Menz Powerlock Sealant
6. Collinite 845

My question is will the Menz powerlock be ok following the Megs microfiber system? Or is another product better recomended.

Mike Phillips
09-24-2011, 09:40 AM
My question is will the Menz powerlock be ok following the Megs microfiber system? Or is another product better recomended.

It will work fine and then top with the Collinite 845

IF you wipe all the claying residue off after each section you clay you can skip the second washing step. This will save you a lot of time and you won't get the car all wet again before machine buffing.

:xyxthumbs:

FussMan
09-24-2011, 09:44 AM
BobbyG will have the answer for you, #5 & #6 are some of his fav's.

I am curious about the Meg's MF System...let me (us) how it works for you. Is it the first time you are using it? Are the using the entire system, Meguiars Dual Action 6 Inch Polisher G110v2 and the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System with the DA Microfiber Correction Compound, and DA Microfiber Finishing Wax.

Good luck and great results!

:dblthumb2:

Fussman

Dark Knight
09-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Hey Fussman i am using a Griots DA and the Megs microfiber pads alonf with the 300 and 301 compound and finishing wax.

poweraid
09-24-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't use the megs mfda system , but with the finishing wax d301, if that in fact has a wax in it which I'm thinking it does since it's more like a aio , then I dont think using menzerna powerlock over that will work. it's always sealant first then wax . but maybe others have used a sealant over 301 with no effects ???

BobbyG
09-24-2011, 06:04 PM
We're all getting ready for the winter months and picking a couple of top performers to protect the finish is important.

I like the order of steps and the products are great choices too.

While I don't have allot of experience with Meguiar's Microfiber Dual Action Correction System from what I've seen it works very well. Several members here use it exclusively and rave of its performance.

I agree with Mike that the Re-Wash step more then likely not needed and you can proceed directly to the correction phase.

Once the swirl correction is complete, clean the finish to ensure that the sealant has a clean dry surface to bond to. Generally, I like to Re-Wash the exterior to remove any correction products because most today are water based. I also use Klean Strip Prep-All and finish wipe each panel.

Sealant

Menzerna Power Lock is a superb sealant and when applied with a dual action polisher it goes on easily and completely. Once dry it buffs off to a gorgeous shine. I like to wait over night and let the sealant cure 12 hours before re-coating with sealant or topping with a high quality durable wax.

Wax

For long term winter protection Collinite 845 or any of the Collinite waxes are about the most durable I use.

Apply Collinite 845 in the same manor as the sealant. Use either a blue or red foam pad and a machine speed of 3. It's amazing how little wax you'll use as this product must be applied very thin. Once the wax hazes buff with a soft Microfiber towel for a beautiful shine.

Here's a photo of my 12 year old Dodge Dakota with the original paint with Menzerna Power Lock and Collinite 845...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/1999%20Dakota/Detailing011.jpg

Dark Knight
09-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I hope somebody can clear this up for me, my understanding is that the 301 is a polish that cleans up the marks from the the 300 compound. Therefore it shouldn't be a problem topping those to products with the Menz Powerlock.

Also should i wait 12-24 hours before i top the Menz with the Collinite 845?

skipper1
09-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope somebody can clear this up for me, my understanding is that the 301 is a polish that cleans up the marks from the the 300 compound. Therefore it shouldn't be a problem topping those to products with the Menz Powerlock.

I am not an expert in this but this is what I did last weekend. I clayed for the first time then used a tangerine LC pad with D301 and Flex 3401 on my Honda Fit Sport. Then I did an IPA wipe down to make sure there was no wax or oils left behind and then put on Collinite 845.

This weekend I used DP waterless wash to clean up my car and chased it with XMT 360. The car looks great but I don't know if I have everything in the correct order.

poweraid
09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

301 finishing wax. refines paint ever further and has polymers and carnauba in it . a synthetic wax is basically a polymer- sealant , more durable than a wax. u can top a sealant with with wax but should not the other way around . being that 301 has a blend , I don't know if can top it with a sealant but u sure can with a wax . I know many use the d300 and then use a different polish and/or sealant /wax just because of this- want to use sealant-wax of there choice. meaning if d301 was just a polish with no wax in it it may be more widely used ? I have not used the mfda kit so I surely not no pro on this . just info I gather from reading . so hopefully a regular user will reply to clear this up . being that 301 a blend maybe u can top with a sealant and then a wax again? if u apply any sealant should always wait about 12 hrs for a 2nd coat or top with a wax .

Dark Knight
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
So i guess i could use the D300 and use an actual polish in stead of the 301 then top with and sealant followed by Collinite.

poweraid
09-25-2011, 04:13 PM
So i guess i could use the D300 and use an actual polish in stead of the 301 then top with and sealant followed by Collinite.

sounds good . if u really want to use the d301 being that it's like an aio and that is is a polymer/Nuba it already has some sealant properties. how durable it is ? can just top with 845 then If u want . 845 alone is darn right up there as durable as a sealant . being that I like to use my own particular sealant and wax I would not use the d301 and use a finish polish of my choice then

Dark Knight
09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I think i will use the 300 then 205 on the microfiber and then the Menz folowed by the Collinite.

I have used the 845 several times and i know how durable it is but having double the durability of the sealant and the 845 gives me a little piece of mind.

Dark Knight
09-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey Poweraid could you pm me the info on the wheels you have on your F150? I'm in the market for a new set for mine but i'm a little confused about what backspacing and offsett to go with.

poweraid
09-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey Poweraid could you pm me the info on the wheels you have on your F150? I'm in the market for a new set for mine but i'm a little confused about what backspacing and offsett to go with.

I sure can . I'll try to get u the info later today or tomorrow for sure

bobble
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM
What is the cure time stated on the Powerlock bottle, wait that long. If it's not stated then 12 hours or overnight would be the ruel of thumb to allow it to cure fully before topping. I wait overnite for BFWD to cure to top.