PDA

View Full Version : Dealer decal

Ztandem
09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
We just purchased a new 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L. It has a dealer decal on the back. It feels like individual letter decals, and it's got to go. How can I safely remove it? Would Goof Off be safe?
The Odyssey will probably require more attention to detail than my Z4, since the color is crystal black pearl. This is my first black vehicle, and it's big.

Setec Astronomy
09-24-2011, 12:14 AM
So it's a sticker? Or one of those plastic plates?

Ztandem
09-24-2011, 12:47 AM
So it's a sticker? Or one of those plastic plates?

Yes, it's some kind of sticker. I was relieved to see that it wasn't one of the kind that they drill holes to mount.
When we were going to different dealers, it was one of the first things I was checking out.
After reading about the dealers "detailing" new cars here, I told the salesman that I would prefer to skip the new car detail. Since it was dirty, I wanted to get it washed for a inspection before we bought it. He was a bit puzzled when I asked how they would wash it. My fear was that they would run it thru a brush wash, which he said wouldn't be done. He wanted to have his "professionals" detail it before delivery. I told him that I was concerned about swirls and scratches. He was ok with it, but I'm pretty sure thought it was unusual.
After all that, it began to rain when it was time to do the final inspection, and it was dark, and a black vehicle.
It looked good before we started, and it looked good the next morning.

slickooz
09-24-2011, 01:34 AM
If it just a sticker, I would use a heat gun and then peel it off with a plastic razor blade. Then use some 3M adhesive remover to take any residue left over.

JonMiles
09-24-2011, 01:36 AM
plastic razor, heat gun and 3m adhesive remover will do the trick for you.

*slickooz beat me to it

tag4car
09-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Carmax logo came right off with a hairdryer and prep all solution

TLMitchell
09-24-2011, 06:27 AM
If it just a sticker, I would use a heat gun and then peel it off with a plastic razor blade. Then use some 3M adhesive remover to take any residue left over.

plastic razor, heat gun and 3m adhesive remover will do the trick for you.

*slickooz beat me to it

Carmax logo came right off with a hairdryer and prep all solution

On a new vehicle where the stickers haven't been on there for years the hair dryer will probably be plenty, you may be able to peel 'em off with a fingernail. WD40 is a good adhesive remover and will soften things up and add some lubrication to minimize scratching. Yeah, on black you'll probably see some marring whether you use plastic blades or a fingernail. Oughta polish right out by hand.

TL

pwcheenie
09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
A plastic credit card works well to remove the logo if it is made of some kind of tape. Then wipe residue off with WD- 40.

Jenn1270
09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
WD-40 did the job on my husband's truck. I didn't even have to break out the hair dryer.

Flash Gordon
09-24-2011, 09:38 PM
A plastic credit card works well to remove the logo if it is made of some kind of tape. Then wipe residue off with WD- 40.

While it will work, it will also cause unnecesary marring. Heat Gun and Fingernail is the perferred method for me

Ztandem
09-24-2011, 10:03 PM
While wiping it off after washing it today, I noticed that some of the edges on the letters were peeling off. Since they were on less than a month I was able to take them off with my fingernails-no scratches!
Thanks for the help!