PDA

View Full Version : Interior Scratches

Marre
09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Is it possible to remove or reduce scratches from the silver plastic (I think it' plastic) piece that surrounds the shift knob boot of my car. The lower photo is a close up of the area, although my cheap camera and poor photo skills make them difficult to see. I'm concerned about getting too aggressive and making it worse, especially since I don't know how the scratches got there in the first place.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_0512.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/100_0503.jpg

Flash Gordon
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Your probally scratching it with your fingernails when applying the e-brake. I wouldn't do anything at this time if it were me

ElGaby
09-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Try with megs plastX

garcin
09-24-2011, 01:22 AM
I had this same situation, use caution, and do a test spot on the side with whatever you choose. I did this with one of the "plastic polishes" and it took the silver finish right off. Thank goodness for my test spot.I believe the plastic polishes are for uncoated clear plastics. Good luck

rossisboss
09-24-2011, 09:26 AM
as posted above me, the plastic polish is for clear plastics, headlights, etc. I think that if you use it on the silver pictured that it will take the silver color off and you'll be left with black or some other color of bare plastic in that spot...

If that plastic is textured like it appears to be polish wouldn't do any good anyways. In my experience with interior plastic pieces, when they get scratched, you replace them to fix it... or repaint if you wanted to.

hope it helps.

weavers
09-24-2011, 10:07 AM
as posted above me, the plastic polish is for clear plastics, headlights, etc. I think that if you use it on the silver pictured that it will take the silver color off and you'll be left with black or some other color of bare plastic in that spot...

If that plastic is textured like it appears to be polish wouldn't do any good anyways. In my experience with interior plastic pieces, when they get scratched, you replace them to fix it... or repaint if you wanted to.

hope it helps.

+1. maybe try plast-X with a microfiber towel.

honestly its not very noticeable and try to learn to live with it. interior plastics can be a real pain. if you take off the color then you gotta repaint it. that silver looks hard to match, so you will end up painting a bit portion of your center console. That means removing seats and trim, and its a pain. more so if you break something. its gonna be a pigs dinner if you try to fix those minor scratches that no one will ever see.

Marre
09-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Good advice and you all have me convinced. I'm going to leave it alone. There's not a good place to do a test spot and the chance of doing real damage is just too great.

Your probally scratching it with your fingernails when applying the e-brake. I wouldn't do anything at this time if it were me

Interesting point about fingernails. I'm careful about this when opening the doors and when cleaning but not so much with the e-brake. Now that you've brought it up I'll be thinking about it when I go to set or release the brake :props:.