PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Silverado clear coat really soft???

Pages : [1] 2

HFDFyreFytr
09-23-2011, 07:37 PM
OK, I just finished polishing my truck for the first time ever this week. The results were pretty good as far as scratch and swirl removal with no swirls that I could find examining it in the sunlight a few different times. It rained a few times so I have washed it a few times, and each time I wash it, I am getting more and more light scratches. Is this clear just really soft or do I just suck at washing cars?

I am using a new bucket that I got for Lowes home improvement. I wash the bucket, fill part way, add soap and fill til bubbles are close to the top. I have one of the Cobra mits. I rinse the car as well as I can and then use the mit with lots of foam from soap and lightly wipe a small area at once. I do not have a grit guard, but the way I combat this is when I put the mit in, I only to close to the top of the water and don't stir the water up to much. I also use my hose to pre-rinse my mit before I put it back in the water. I have a top of the car mit and a bottom of the car mit and a cotton wheel well mit. I start with the top, switch mits, do the bottom of the car, switch mits and do the wells and wheels.

So, what is the deal? Am I an idiot or is the car really that fragile? I had a great finish for a few days, but I really wanted it for longer than that.

Also, I put the wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 on it after I polished it if that matters...

HELP.

sserdlihc
09-23-2011, 08:16 PM
If you are not going to use/have a grit guard, atleast use another bucket full of clean water to rinse out your mit.
I used a 1 bucket system for years but converted to a 2 bucket system with GG's for both my car wash and my wheels and tires.

david79z28
09-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Get another bucket, grit guards, and the proper drying towels etc. Your washing method might be adding new swirls.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8vs7dEIwk&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Autogeek.net Wash Bucket Systems - YouTube[/video]

Quik Tips Series - Washing 101 - YouTube

TLMitchell
09-23-2011, 08:47 PM
OK, I just finished polishing my truck for the first time ever this week. The results were pretty good as far as scratch and swirl removal with no swirls that I could find examining it in the sunlight a few different times. It rained a few times so I have washed it a few times, and each time I wash it, I am getting more and more light scratches. Is this clear just really soft or do I just suck at washing cars?

I've had a series of 4 GM trucks over the last 20 years and I considered the clear medium-hard on all of them. Not tough to correct and fairly swirl resistant when washing with proper tools and techiniques. Then again, I buy white for a reason. :)

What color are you dealing with?

TL

Edit... OK, now I remember... BLACK! Heh, heh... you put a mirror finish on it, it's going to show anything and everything. If you didn't know before you're now findng out, "black isn't a color it's a part time job". (stolen from someoneorother) It comes with the territory.

HFDFyreFytr
09-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I got ya on the black. I have the guzzler drying towels. I always rinse my mits before they go back in the water and I try not to stir the water and only stay on the top half.

I have a blue 2007 silverado as well and I can be more abusive to that one without instilling swirls in it ( bought it freshly polished). This one, I walk by and sneeze and it gets a new scratch! The blue is the dark blue and it shows scratches pretty bad in it in the sunlight like the black one.

I got you guys on the two bucket method with grit guards, but when I washed my black truck it was rained on but not driven until the streets were dry (I work 24 hour shifts). It were hardly dirty, just a few light spots on it.

I had a black Vette, and a black Formula and have a grand national. I know about the black paint, but this one seems to be extra sensitive...this sux...way too much work for less than a week of clear paint...

HFDFyreFytr
09-24-2011, 12:51 AM
I just watched the video washing 101 and short of the second bucket, I am there. This is my 4th chevy truck, and this clear seems to be particularly sensitive. I can't find any signs of it being repainted either, but it could have been. Bought it used... either way, what a pain in the rear...Gonna wash it in the morning and wax it with the Petes 53 or whatever it is and just roll with it I guess...

JonMiles
09-24-2011, 12:56 AM
How do you dry the truck? Do you flood rinse first and then blot the excess or do you wipe the water off?

If you have access to a compressor or blower, it may help to first flood the paint as dry as possible followed by blowing the excess off.

HFDFyreFytr
09-24-2011, 01:33 AM
I flood rinse and I have a ryobi electric blower. I use the blower to get the excess out of the cracks and mirrors and such only. I do not blot anything. Not sure what you are talking about...

JonMiles
09-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Instead of dragging the towel across the finish you can lightly tap the towel on the paint and pick up the water that is left behind. It will prevent drying from inducing scratches.

TLMitchell
09-24-2011, 06:21 AM
I flood rinse and I have a ryobi electric blower. I use the blower to get the excess out of the cracks and mirrors and such only. I do not blot anything. Not sure what you are talking about...

With a fresh LSP, flood rinse and a blower there shouldn't be much left to dry with a Guzzler.. a double edged sword because there's not much moisture left between the towel and the surface. You may find what some call a "drying aid" beneficial. Some use QDs or spray waxes.. personally, I like DG Aqua Wax. Lets the towel glide over the surface and enhances shine and protection as well.

With 24 hr shifts and humidity you probably also get to enjoy morning dew drying with overnight dust. An added bonus with black. :D

I've got a super-soft black bike, it swirls if you look at it crosseyed. It's getting Opti Coat in the near future, something you may want to consider.

TL

HFDFyreFytr
09-24-2011, 02:00 PM
With a fresh LSP, flood rinse and a blower there shouldn't be much left to dry with a Guzzler.. a double edged sword because there's not much moisture left between the towel and the surface. You may find what some call a "drying aid" beneficial. Some use QDs or spray waxes.. personally, I like DG Aqua Wax. Lets the towel glide over the surface and enhances shine and protection as well.

With 24 hr shifts and humidity you probably also get to enjoy morning dew drying with overnight dust. An added bonus with black. :D

I've got a super-soft black bike, it swirls if you look at it crosseyed. It's getting Opti Coat in the near future, something you may want to consider.

TL

I do have some qd's, but I don't use them when I am drying. The ryobi has no nuts what so ever. I bought the weedeater/blower on clearance because it came with a battery and charger, which made the tools all but free(luckily, because they SUCK!).

I will try the blotting after the blower. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

Humidity in Houston??? Are you kidding? Just like the sahara.... :)

I read about opti coat. Gonna have to consider that. I think I am at least going to do it to the roof. Is there are noticable line of demarcation when you do this? Only part of concern would be the A, B and C pillars, right?

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are making a learning process much easier and faster than trial and error...

SeaJay's
09-24-2011, 02:29 PM
I've had a series of 4 GM trucks over the last 20 years and I considered the clear medium-hard on all of them. Not tough to correct and fairly swirl resistant when washing with proper tools and techiniques. Then again, I buy white for a reason. :)

What color are you dealing with?

TL

Edit... OK, now I remember... BLACK! Heh, heh... you put a mirror finish on it, it's going to show anything and everything. If you didn't know before you're now findng out, "black isn't a color it's a part time job". (stolen from someoneorother) It comes with the territory.

In my experience I'm with TL on this. On my 06 Avalanche it was med-hard and with proper techniques when washing was able to keep it semi-swirl free. But it was also black. So it's really a PITA to keep completely swirl free. A good one step polish might be worth investing in. Usually every 6 months or so do a one step on it and should rid the clear of most of the swirls.

HFDFyreFytr
09-24-2011, 03:28 PM
OK, what is a good one step that you recommend? Can I use the Menzerna 106 as a one step? Would you do it with a white pad or what? Gonna do some searching as well... thanks,

TLMitchell
09-24-2011, 05:47 PM
The ryobi has no nuts what so ever. I bought the weedeater/blower on clearance because it came with a battery and charger, which made the tools all but free(luckily, because they SUCK!).

A really capable blower is a good thing with a shiny black vehicle. The less you touch it the better off you are. I like to get versatility for my dollar so I use the removable blower from my 20 year old Shop Vac. With a fresh LSP there's hardly any residue left to chase.

I read about opti coat. Gonna have to consider that. I think I am at least going to do it to the roof. Is there are noticable line of demarcation when you do this? Only part of concern would be the A, B and C pillars, right?

You have the '07 1/2+ new body style or the '99 - '07 style? Shouldn't matter... on my '08 extended cab the pillars don't border the roof, the painted portions are part of the doors and there's a prominent panel separation line above the C pillar. Tape 'em off.

I tried Opti Coat on my hood for a while and was impressed with it's ability to shed dirt. Most of the stuff comes off when I pre-rinse before I ever get a mitt on it. I also did the painted parts of the rear fender wells.... tar, crud and junk comes right off and it stays looking pretty nice... at least for the couple of months I used it. The rest of the truck is getting OC when I get the rest of it polished.

OK, what is a good one step that you recommend? Can I use the Menzerna 106 as a one step? Would you do it with a white pad or what?

That'd be a good choice, IMO. Here's another thought... my primary reason for exploring Opti Coat was the super-soft finish on my black bike. It took a good long time and much hair-pulling to figure out how to get it to finish mar free. Then when you walked by it it swirled. When you wash it, more swirls. You don't dare try to wipe the dust off with any QD, every MF I've tried leaves marks.

So I polished up the front fairing to perfection for a look-see a couple of days ago. I didn't have the lighting I should have because I figure I'll yank all the painted parts off this winter and do them right if I like what I see. Anyway, this morning when I got it out in the sun I saw a few high spots. Pulled out the sample size of Poli Seal I've had laying around forever that I keep for spot-polishing when I get a mark here or there..... and just like the folks at Optimum say, it evened out the high spots. Nice thing about Optimum products is you can use 'em in the sun. So while I was standing there looking at the swirled tank I gave it a hit of Poli Seal by hand. I was pleasantly surprised! Most of the swirls disappeared or at least showed marked improvement. Obviously just enough light abrasives to work really nice on soft paint. Here I'd been beating my brains out trying to get the perfect finish using multiple step polishes and various pads and Poli Seal by hand worked real well. And as an AIO it's a decent sealant as well. If your merely cleaning up light marks from time to time it'd save you a step.

I cleaned the bug guts off the front fairing with some ONR at QD strength and no marks. That's a first!

Might be something for you to consider. Poli Seal and most of their other products come in 8 oz sampler sizes so they're very cost effective to try. ONR might be something for you to look at as well.

TL

Rsurfer
09-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Did you do a solvent wipe down after polishing. It sounds like your polish was hiding the swirls.