PDA

View Full Version : Hey! What do you use to get it so shiny?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

truckbutt
09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
You just did a 3 stage correction on your car. You have two coats of sealant and a topper of carnauba. Someone comes up to you and says, "Hey! How did you get it so shiny?" Do you spend twenty minutes explaining 8 hours of hard work and sweat, or do you just say, "Some stuff." ?
What do you say?

silverfox
09-23-2011, 07:30 AM
"If I tell you...I would have to kill you"....:cool:

Driwash
09-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Tell them your a Professional Shine Enhancement Technician and your services are available.

Tom

Setec Astronomy
09-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah, that's a tough one, most people expect you to just blurt out a brand, because they don't understand it's a process, not a product. So I usually go with "some stuff".

Chris's FX4
09-23-2011, 07:45 AM
It depends on who asks. If it's one of my car nut neighbors or other car nuts, then I'll actually explain what I did. If it's anybody else I'll say, "Give me some cash and you'll see."

DLB
09-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Someone comes up to you and says, "Hey! How did you get it so shiny?" What do you say?Depending on the mood, and what the level of interest that I gauge from the person asking:
A - "About 6 hours of polishing, and a 1/2 hour putting some wax on."
B - "Turtle Wax Ice!" (Everyone around here thinks that is the BEST car care product ever invented. I have had LOTS of people tell me that's what I should be using).

DLB

Mike Phillips
09-23-2011, 07:53 AM
or do you just say, "Some stuff"

I like the above answer.

Only add... Some stuff I got at Autogeek.net

:D

Setec Astronomy
09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Some stuff I got at Autogeek.net

There you go!

But this can be tough, when the person adds to the question "how do you get it so shiny, I use XXX brand, what do you use?" and you can't answer with a different brand because then they say "where can I get that??" like all they have to do is buy that brand and poof their vehicle will look like Mike Phillips just worked on it...as the OP stated, you can say "I used YYY and ZZZ brand...but it was really the machine, my pads, the combination of different products, and oh...the process and technique I have developed from doing it many times and interacting and studying online forums for years, as well as the 8 hours of work" but then their eyes just glaze over...

Porsche Pilot
09-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Unicorn tears and only my company can get them.

cutter
09-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Favorite answer!!!

Setec Astronomy
09-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Ha ha! How about dodo juice?? Oh, wait you CAN get that stuff...

C. Charles Hahn
09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
If we're standing anywhere near my garage at the time, I point to the shelves full of product and say "That stuff."

truckbutt
09-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Where I live you better be prepared to duck if you give that answer.:laughing:

tuscarora dave
09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
After posting this photo on facebook,

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/Dennys%20325ix%20project/073.jpg

I got this reply from an old elementary school friend.

"I just bought an '88 Grand Wagoneer Woody. I live in Baltimore, so travelling is out of the picture. Can you sell me a product so I can do that to my "new" truck?"

Here was my reply to him.

"Hi Kyle, long time no see. The transformation you see in that photo is the result of years of practicing intensive machine polishing with a rotary polisher. There is no magic bullet type of product that can achieve those results. Just that half of the hood took about 3 hours to do because of the severe oxidation. What condition is the paint in on your Grand Wagoneer?"

And,

"I could most likely locate a great detailer in Baltimore for you if you're willing to drop some coin on having the paint corrected. Of course you could get the tools and products and try it yourself too. Check out Tuscarora Dave's Mobile Auto Detailing (http://www.tdmad.com) from that site you can email or call me if I can be of any help in bringing the paint back on your new truck."

I don't understand rocket science because I never applied myself to learning it or had any education in it.

He doesn't understand paint correction because he has never applied himself to learning it or had any education in it.

Bobby B.
09-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I usually just hand them my business card and tell them to call me during the week. Your average person walking by wouldn't know any of the brands of products that I use. They usually ask me if they can buy the products from Walmart.. lol NO!