PDA

View Full Version : Dying light tan leather in an 06 Acura TL

ohsixmtee
09-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Hello all, I have a relatively new to me 2006 White Diamond Pearl Acura TL. I searched quite a bit to find the 6MT/Nav combination and succeeded after looking at 3 prior to the one I own now.

It has a beautiful light tan interior, I'm a huge sucker for a perfectly spotless tan interior. I am very anal about the cabin condition. I keep a dust rag in my door pocket and dust the dash/center console every time I park the car. The dealer plastic is still on my floormat and when carrying passengers I usually put a white towel down. LOL

The first thing I did after taking delivery of the car was scrubbed the bottom tan trim where feet commonly swipe with some Mr. Clean magic erasers, those things are amazing, I used them several times before. I have never seen a product lift grime out of textured surfaces like this one does. I then proceeded to use Lexol cleaner to restore the tan to my standards, seats/door panel trim/lower dash. (Interior is a funky 2 tone accented w/ metal and light woodgrain) :D

I now would like to take care of the normal wear creases in my driver's seat found on the left side of the back bolster and lower portion that is constantly making contact with the left thigh.

I figure dyeing and conditioning twice a week as I do will keep the seat in great shape. That's about the only flaw about tan, looks so nice clean but tends to wear more than darker colors. Overall I just respect a spotless tan interior so much due to knowing how hard it is to maintain it.

I found Acura interior color specific dye but have zero experience with this. Acura also has a good interior guy that I'm contemplating using if the DIY method seems too risky.

If you have experience dying leather I would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks and I'll check in later in the evenings as I'm a second shifter.

Mobile detail
09-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Hello ohsix,
Congrats on the new to you car!I would suggest posting some pics of what you are trying to clean/dye, that way everyone can see what you are talking about. It sounds like a stronger cleaner might fix the area, as lexol is a good maintenance cleaner but Ime, doesnt offer super cleaning. You also need to figure out what kind of leather your car has. Coated, or other. I would recommend optimum power clean diluted. As far as conditioning, it depends on the type of leather. If its coated, I like ultimia interior guard. Hope this helps, and I /others will be able to help morel you can get some pics up!

phantom
09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
You need to take a look at the complete Leatherique products. I used their 2 step process on 20 year old seats. I showed the car at a national level and I was asked if I put new seats in the car. They also have a dye process. I cannot vouch for that product but you should go to their website.

Flash Gordon
09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
I would get the seat recovered in pleather