PDA

View Full Version : Removing Water Spots on Mirrors

A.P.A.D.
09-22-2011, 02:16 PM
is it safe to use Duragloss Nu-Glass to remove waterspots from side mirrors on a car? or will this damage the mirror? any experience on this?

i used the search option and couldnt find any help.

Setec Astronomy
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
If the mirror is glass, it should be fine, right? Or are you asking whether hand or machine polishing will damage the mirror mechanism?

A.P.A.D.
09-22-2011, 02:31 PM
mirror seems(imo) to be more sensitive to scratching than glass, say a windshield.

have u had experience and success with removing watermarks from side mirrors <---the actual mirror

Setec Astronomy
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
mirror seems(imo) to be more sensitive to scratching than glass, say a windshield.

have u had experience and success with removing watermarks from side mirrors <---the actual mirror

No, I keep the watermarks off my mirrors :p And what could be more scratch-sensitive than today's windshields--they are terrible! If that DG glass polish is anything like the Zaino it's not very abrasive, although my Honda glass didn't seem to react well to it, I seem to remember I got a film that was very tough to get off (I applied by machine, yellow pad).

EDIT: If these waterspots aren't too bad, KAIO works great, but I usually use a bottle of Eagle One glass polish I've had since the 80's, smells like metal polish (hint)....some day maybe I'll even use it up!

A.P.A.D.
09-22-2011, 02:46 PM
No, I keep the watermarks off my mirrors :p

Watermarks on side mirrors and actual paint = $$$ :props:

anyone who has actually removed watermarks for mirrors? any precautions? i have removed them from windshields and glass.

sserdlihc
09-23-2011, 07:11 AM
About 7 years ago, I bought a 90 mustang lx 5.0. It had new paint but the glass and side mirrors we covered in waterspots. I used a 3m product for plastics to remove the waterspots. It took a while since I was doing it by hand. Since then I have used Meg's Plastic X to use on waterspots with the same results. Once I removed the waterspots, I sealed the glass and mirrors and never had to worry with it again.

john b
09-23-2011, 07:28 AM
i have used autoglm glass polish on side mirrors-worked fine

dad07
09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I use nu-glass for that purpose and have not had any issues. I do it by hand tho and use a white or orange pad.

Lake Country Buffing Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lakecountry.html) > CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators

A.P.A.D.
09-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Cool! thanks Tim. I feel comfortable using it now on a mirror. i dont know why i was so nervious about trying it