PDA

View Full Version : New black car paint

Pages : [1] 2

starjammir
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Hey guys,
I just took delivery of my new black Honda. It was made 30 days ago tomorrow so I want to get some protection on it. I was going to clay it, then polish it with Poorboys black hole polish, then add some Wolfgang paint sealant on top.
My question is what pad do I use for applying this stuff if the paint is new? I have a Cyan, red, and an tangerine colored pad I can play with and of course the PC. I obviously don't want to mess the paint up as it is new, hence why I am asking for advice!
Thanks in advance!
Bill H.

Mike Phillips
09-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Hey guys,
I just took delivery of my new black Honda. It was made 30 days ago tomorrow so I want to get some protection on it.

It was made or painted?

If it was "made", then the paint is fully cured and hardened by now, if it was just painted, then it's still safe to do whatever you want...

I was going to clay it,

Does it need to be clayed? If it was just painted it might need it as the best place to get paint overspray is while your car is parked somewhere around a "body shop".

then polish it with Poorboys black hole polish, then add some Wolfgang paint sealant on top.
My question is what pad do I use for applying this stuff if the paint is new? I have a Cyan, red, and an tangerine colored pad I can play with and of course the PC.

A normal procedure would be to apply the Poorboy's Black Hole with a polishing pad and then apply the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with the Crimson finishing pad.

There are other combos too for example you could apply the PBH using the Crimson pad and apply the WDGPS with a separate Crimson pad, just depends upon the condition of the paint and what you're trying to do.

I obviously don't want to mess the paint up as it is new, hence why I am asking for advice!
Thanks in advance!
Bill H.

We're here to help...

:xyxthumbs:

calhoun1
09-21-2011, 04:49 PM
then polish it with Poorboys black hole polish

Do you have a poorboys polish? Or do you have the black hole glaze? If it is just a glaze, you wouldn't actually be correcting anything; you would be filling in the swirls and hiding them.

starjammir
09-21-2011, 05:07 PM
It was made or painted?

If it was "made", then the paint is fully cured and hardened by now, if it was just painted, then it's still safe to do whatever you want...

Its a 2012 so when the car was made and I guess painted too.

Does it need to be clayed? If it was just painted it might need it as the best place to get paint overspray is while your car is parked somewhere around a "body shop".

I am assuming since it came from Canada to OH by train, then back to MI, it needed to be clayed, but I guess I am unsure at the moment.

A normal procedure would be to apply the Poorboy's Black Hole with a polishing pad and then apply the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant with the Crimson finishing pad.

There are other combos too for example you could apply the PBH using the Crimson pad and apply the WDGPS with a separate Crimson pad, just depends upon the condition of the paint and what you're trying to do.

So I should use the PB BH with the tangerine pad, then finish with the red? pad for the sealant?

And for the other reply, it is an glaze, but I thought that the glaze would give it pop like a polish. Since it is a new car...well 70 miles old, it shouldn't need to have the scratches taken out as there is none.

We're here to help...

:xyxthumbs:
^

Mike Phillips
09-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Its a 2012 so when the car was made and I guess painted too.

Okay, I get you... you have a brand new car, the paint is new but not fresh as it was fully baked-on at the factory months before it went to a dealership.

You can do anything you want to the paint at this point in time.

I am assuming since it came from Canada to OH by train, then back to MI, it needed to be clayed, but I guess I am unsure at the moment.

Check with the Baggie Test

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

So I should use the PB BH with the tangerine pad, then finish with the red? pad for the sealant?

Yes, that will work.

My original question was because we didn't know if it was "factory" paint which should be flawless since it's brand new.

Or if it was repainted and if so probably filled with swirls from the guy that did any buffing, that's not the case so no problems to fix.

And for the other reply, it is an glaze, but I thought that the glaze would give it pop like a polish. Since it is a new car...well 70 miles old, it shouldn't need to have the scratches taken out as there is none.

Since it's brand new, check to see if it needs to be clayed, if not you shouldn't have to do anything but apply the sealant but if you want to make 100% sure you're working on a clean slate so to speak, then apply the PBHG with a polishing pad on about the 5 speed setting and then machine apply the sealant on about the 4 setting.

And have some fun while you're at it!

New car! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im the MAN

Mike Phillips
09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Just a tidbit on using the multi-quote feature...

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/20690-how-use-editor-mode-break-single-quoted-message-up-into-smaller-quoted-sections.html)

:D

starjammir
09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
LOL thanks Mike!

calhoun1
09-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Just checking to make sure :xyxthumbs: I know both black cars I bought brand new came with the Dealer Installed Swirl Option (DISO). So I wouldn't be surprised if your new black car was so equipped. If it isn't, then that is awesome!

starjammir
09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I made sure to request from the dealer not to touch the car. The paint is 98% except for the rock chip I got on the way home.:nomore:

calhoun1
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Awesome for you! I wish I could have gotten my black cars like that!

starjammir
09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
I got a 3m clear bra going on it Tuesday morning so I just have to avoid the bugs and rocks til then!

Mike Phillips
09-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I got a 3m clear bra going on it Tuesday morning so I just have to avoid the bugs and rocks til then!

Swerve...

:hotrod2:

Impressions
09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't put anything on the paint until the clear bra goes on.
they will have to strip it off anyway
they may instill marks by touching and leaning on the car

good luck with your new ride

T.O.C.
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
If your New car did indeed get transported on a train then you will more than likely want to clay it.

Before the bashing begins here is why.
Railroad dust gets on everything. You may not see it,especially since your car is black,but it is there. You may not even feel it. But why take the chance of sealing it in.

Normally the hacks at the dealership would of attempted to remove it by claying the car and then polishing it,which is where most DISO's come from. (Improper training and lack of proper tools and chemicals really)
But since you asked them not to touch it,more than likely it is still there.

best bet is to wash it clay and treat it with Carpro IronX. then seal it an wax it.

duck_commander
09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
TOC - can i ask why you would use the IronX post clay and not pre claying?