PDA

View Full Version : headlights

ctkrum
09-21-2011, 07:57 AM
just wondering what grit sandpaper do you to sand plastic headlights before buffing or do you sand at all? thank you

kimtyson
09-21-2011, 09:01 AM
First, :welcome:.
There are several posts about this issue. Please try the search button towards the top of the screeen before starting a new thread.

Are you simply looking to buff or are the headlights cloudy? If they aren't cloudy, in need of refinishing, then DO Not sand them. If they are cloudy and you are looking to refinish them then you need to wetsand them. There are kits for this which include the sandpaper at different grits, polish, and a drill adapter which saves your hands. I have used the 3M kit with excellent results.
There are a lot of opinions but for me 500, 800, 1500 and 3000 grits are good. Then polish and finally apply a sealant. There is a thread about using Helmsman varnish 50\50 mix. Good luck.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
There are a lot of opinions but for me 500, 800, 1500 and 3000 grits are good. Then polish and finally apply a sealant. There is a thread about using Helmsman varnish 5050 mix. Good luck.

Since we're into this thread instead of searching, you don't start at 500 on a headlight that's only a little hazy? I would imagine that the 500 is reserved for those seriously yellow lights. I'm going to be wetsanding my friend's lights pretty soon and I'm mostly worried about the bits of old UV coating that are on there, the rest of the lens is just starting to haze/yellow...I'm imagining I'm going to start at 1500 and then go up to 2000 and 2500. Or am I wasting my time by not starting really coarse?