PDA

View Full Version : First time machine polishing with questions...

Pages : [1] 2

HFDFyreFytr
09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey, got a PC 7424 package from here with the manzernas ceramic stuff, orange, white, black and red pads. Did my first polishing on my truck, which is a 2007 silverado crew in black. Truck is a daily driver with about 100K on it and the previous owner looks like a frequent automatic washer.
Anyway, here are some of the pics and then I have a few questions.
Before: actually, not a true before. I had hand polished quite a bit about 6 months prior...
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/HFDFyreFytr/IMG_0901.jpg

After:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/HFDFyreFytr/IMG_0896.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/HFDFyreFytr/IMG_0897.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/HFDFyreFytr/IMG_0899.jpg
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k565/HFDFyreFytr/IMG_0902.jpg

Anyway, there are still some somewhat deep scratches and I am just not worried about(ain't gonna be perfect...it is old and carried a bunch of tools), but the regular swirls and such are gone. I am looking for some critique if you can give me any and I have a question. When I finished, the black looked way shinier, but it did not look as black....don't know if that makes sense, but it was not as dark? it seemed??? The door jambs are not shiny like the car, but they are much more black... did I do something wrong? Is there something that I can do better and what?

Process:
Washed twice with dawn.
clay bar
washed with dawn again.
Menzerna 106 with orange(quick try with white did not seem to do the job)
Menz 83 with white
stopped there on half the car and then added:
menz 83 with a black pad
washed ph neutral car soap
wolfgang 3.0 sealer (hour and a half, wiped off and not washed for a day after)
thinking about adding a wax on top...

That is it. All pads are CSS 5.5 and machine is the pc7424xp.

Did a good bit of reading before I undertook this and watched a lot of videos(found out you really don't need to know what you are doing to post a how to video... :)

Anyway, comments, suggestions, etc. are appreciated. I can take criticism, have at it...

embolism
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't see a Menz 83 but an 83Q on the chart below which is SIP, a medium polish. You appear to have used the fine polish 106FA before the medium polish which is why the car does not look as black as the jams.

Wash and dry the car (use OPC @ 3:1 to strip the WGDGPS) then polish the car with a black pad and 106FA to bring back the pop to the black. Do 3 passes with pressure, then 3 passes with just the weight of the machine.

If you are ordering anything, might want to get some black flat pads as flats work better with diminishing abrasive polishes (DAT) like Menz...

Menzerna, Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, Menzerna FMJ, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish, (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html)

Your correct order should have been:

Washed twice with dawn.
clay bar
washed with dawn again.
Menz 83 with orange or white
Menz 106FA with black
washed ph neutral car soap
wolfgang 3.0 sealer

Setec Astronomy
09-20-2011, 09:55 AM
John Boehner is a member here??

Great job, when you do it right on black it looks "less black" because it's like a mirror and reflects everything.

HFDFyreFytr
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Sorry, that was just a mistype. I used them in the other order with the opposite pads... Each time I used them I looked at the bottle to make sure that the one with less or more cut was being used. I just flubbed the numbers...

So as a critique, is it looking good or do I need to go further? It isn't quite as "wet" as I was hoping for. Any advice on how to make that happen?

The reflecting everything makes sense, I just wasn't ready for it to be less black...

If I was John Boehner, you would see spots on the paint. I am pretty sure he would have shed some tears over my truck. :)

embolism
09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
oh ok...

For a dd work truck that looks great!

TLMitchell
09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
When I finished, the black looked way shinier, but it did not look as black....don't know if that makes sense, but it was not as dark? it seemed??? The door jambs are not shiny like the car, but they are much more black...

Pretty sweet looking job, especially for a first effort! :xyxthumbs:

....when you do it right on black it looks "less black" because it's like a mirror and reflects everything.

:iagree:

Did you use the same processes on the jambs? Many prefer waxes vs sealants on black, sealants generally provide a high-gloss, crisp "plastic" shine, as some like to call it, carnaubas generally add wetness and depth. Perhaps what you're experiencing is the high-gloss reflectivity of the sealant which isn't going to be as visible on door jambs and other small bits since the larger panels will highlight the reflectivity.

I prefer Collinite 915 on black, it used to almost be the standard for carnaubas on dark colors. While there's a ton of fine waxes out there I prefer looks as well as longevity. Personally, on a DD that size I don't want to be doing it more often than I have to!

Hope you ordered some QD, with a shine like that on black you'll see the dust a mile away. :eek:

TL

Mike Phillips
09-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyway, there are still some somewhat deep scratches and I am just not worried about(ain't gonna be perfect...it is old and carried a bunch of tools), but the regular swirls and such are gone.

Daily Driver? I wouldn't worry about the deep scratches... see this article,

RIDS - The Definition of RIDS and the story behind the term... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html)

I am looking for some critique if you can give me any and I have a question. When I finished, the black looked way shinier, but it did not look as black....don't know if that makes sense, but it was not as dark? it seemed???

The products and process you used are very time-proven to create optimum results on a clear coat finish so I wouldn't worry about what you're seeing, could just be lighting and time of day?

Clear coated black paint jobs never look as deep and dark as a black single stage paint, that's just the nature of a clear coat, think of a plastic wrapper around the body panels.

This is single stage, no clear coat...
1972 Challenger - Foam Pads - Meguiar's Microfiber Compound & Polish/Wax - Single Stage Black Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/32959-1972-challenger-foam-pads-meguiar-s-microfiber-compound-polish-wax-single-stage-black-paint.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/GripStrenght006.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1051/1972Challenger0221.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Y2KSVT
09-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Is it possible that the door jams don't have a clear coat, so all you're seeing is basecoat, which gives the illusion that they're more black than the exterior of the truck? I'm not sure if all vehicles have clearcoat in the jams or not....

HotRodJoe
09-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm sure the jambs are cleared, just like everything else.

Regarding the black not being as black, I've experienced the same thing after using PBBH and PS. So I went back and and used WG FG 3.0 and Fuzion, and it is much blacker. I think the difference is the glaze - just has a different look to it. I'm not familiar with the particular products you're using to identify the culprit, but I'm just saying I've seen the same thing - you're not crazy, IMO. :)

BobbyG
09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Personally I think your truck came out great!! :props:

Try topping the sealant with a carnauba wax and see if it deepens the color at all... :dblthumb2:

HFDFyreFytr
09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
So, I have a can of the pete's 57 or whatever it is from chem guys, do you think that would give it a deeper, wetter look and possibly more black look if applied on top of the wolfgang 3.0 sealant? Or am I going to need to strip the wg off first and then apply wax?
Do you think I can get some more out of it with trying to "jewel" it? is the 106 good for that or have I done what I can do with the 106?

Mike, yeah I don't know if I would call it RIDS. It is a little too common and consistent down the truck to be RIDS.... ha ha... I can catch my nail on most of them, so I know they are not comming out all the way. Polishing them seemed to soften the lines on them and make them fade into the background a little more so that is all I hoped for.

Houston has not seen rain in MONTHS!!!! I finish polishing and sealing my truck and it has rained for the last three days! Best rain dance EVER! :buffing:

embolism
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
if you check the Menz chart, 106FA finishes down the same as what most ppl use to jewel paint PO85rd

try topping the WG with the pete's 53. With the weather in Houston, you'd probably do best with a sealant under your wax so I wouldn't strip it.

HFDFyreFytr
09-20-2011, 03:19 PM
if you check the Menz chart, 106FA finishes down the same as what most ppl use to jewel paint PO85rd

try topping the WG with the pete's 53. With the weather in Houston, you'd probably do best with a sealant under your wax so I wouldn't strip it.

Yeah, I checked the chart and saw that, but why do they have two different products then? Seems like a lot more inventory to keep on the shelf, more confusion in customers, etc. Not good for products IMO...

Yeah, I really like the idea of the sealer lasting longer and that is why I went with it. I read last night about the colinite line specifically in a few of bobbyg's threads. Are they carnubas or what?

TLMitchell
09-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I read last night about the colinite line specifically in a few of bobbyg's threads. Are they carnubas or what?

Yes and no. 915 and 476 are nubas. 845 is a carnauba-based hybrid. It gives you a higher gloss shine than the pastes. Pete's 53 is a very nice wax! Top the WGDGS on a section and see what you see.

TL

Setec Astronomy
09-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes and no. 915 and 476 are nubas. 845 is a carnauba-based hybrid. It gives you a higher gloss shine than the pastes.

I thought the latest wisdom on this was that they were all "hybrids" in that they all had some "resins" in them, and that the 845 was simply the liquid version of 476 (higher solvent content) but that the 915 had a different ratio or something, more carnauba than the others.