PDA

View Full Version : Seriously need help: How to remove these stony chips

szjalo
09-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi all, glad to be here. My car kinda has a very soft paint, thus it's super easy to leave those stone chips on to it. I have found tons of chips on the bumper, some on the hood, and few on the side. I took two photoes showing you the annoying chips:

1\http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1900/medium/1100.jpg

2\
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/1900/medium/260.jpg

1 is showing the toughest few chips on the bumper. 2 are some slight dented dots on the hood and bumper.

I know there is a polymer film can protect the paint. However, very curious about is there any way that I can remove or fix those chips? I hope there is a better and easier way rather than repaint the entire bumper or hood.

Thanks a lot!

Mobile detail
09-20-2011, 02:52 AM
I've been using dr. Color chip with great success. Might be worth a shot?

kimtyson
09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
That looks like my car. Even the color seems to be the same. Best option so far for me seems to be Dr. Colorchip but I have't gone there yet. Trying to decide between that and a repaint.

shoeless89
09-20-2011, 09:52 AM
My car is exactly the same way. The only real options are

Repaint and clear the panel
Mask the defect by filling in the chip
Or just learn to live with it

I used some touch-up paint, very small paint brushes and some clear coat to touch up mine. My no means is this a repair. It simply makes them LESS noticeable.

szjalo
09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys!

I am really have no idea about any paint fix job. Do you know how much body shop usually charge for a repaint(may be just the bumper?)

and any one used Dr. colorchip before? have tips how to use that?

Mike Moore
09-20-2011, 12:52 PM

What he said ^^^ Give Dr. Color Chip a try!

I have used Dr. Color Chip on five different "road rash" cars with GREAT results.
It works very well for the exact type of road rash you have in those pictures.

Will it be "PERFECT"...probably not. I think they call it the "Three Foot Rule."
I would suggest giving it a try. It looks MUCH better than touch up paint!!!
On the cars and trucks I have applied it, the owner couldn't find the spots.

JBL
09-20-2011, 01:42 PM
What he said ^^^ Give Dr. Color Chip a try!

I have used Dr. Color Chip on five different "road rash" cars with GREAT results.
It works very well for the exact type of road rash you have in those pictures.

Will it be "PERFECT"...probably not. I think they call it the "Three Foot Rule."
I would suggest giving it a try. It looks MUCH better than touch up paint!!!
On the cars and trucks I have applied it, the owner couldn't find the spots.

Any dark metallics? How'd they come out?

Mike Moore
09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Any dark metallics? How'd they come out?

When you order it the Dr. Color Chip folks make your order to OEM paint code door panel specs.
It should come out just fine. AG sells it and for pre-sale technical questions I'd give them a call.
It can be a bit finicky the first time you use it. You might want to give Dr. CC a ring for advice.
I'd bet you'll have good results with the Dr. Color Chip product. It's worth a try to give it a shot!

Jenn1270
09-20-2011, 08:38 PM
I used both Dr. Colorchip and Langka this weekend. The Dr Colorchip definitely did the best and easiest job with the road rash. The "divots" or larger chips seem to do a bit better if you build it up with touch up OEM paint.

None of the fixes are perfect, at three feet the only person that can tell is you.

Jenn

Bigmivi
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM

I am having the same thing. I bought Dr. Colorchip but it hasn't arrive it. I tried to use Simoniz fix it pen, but the chip is too deep for the pen.

It seems everybody is recommending Dr. Colorchip.

JBL
09-21-2011, 08:01 AM
When you order it the Dr. Color Chip folks make your order to OEM paint code door panel specs.
It should come out just fine. AG sells it and for pre-sale technical questions I'd give them a call.
It can be a bit finicky the first time you use it. You might want to give Dr. CC a ring for advice.
I'd bet you'll have good results with the Dr. Color Chip product. It's worth a try to give it a shot!

on it...B-92P: nighthawk black pearl :xyxthumbs:

I just see a lot of people say that the results aren't as great with metallics. Not that it doesn't work, just that it's a little harder because of the fleck. I was just curious if one of the cars you did was a dark metallic and how it looked afterwards.

Still going to try it one day. 112k of highway miles is taking it's toll.