PDA

View Full Version : To glaze or not to glaze?

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan R
09-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Before I continue I'll re-introduce myself since it doesn't seem too many hang out at the water cooler...
I'm Ryan from PA and have been following the forum for quite some time now.
Ok on to my question... I have been reading and re-reading on this and have not yet decided..glaze or not.
In what I'm gathering it's a waste to glaze (meguiars 7) in between the polish and sealant?
I usually wipe down with a paint cleaner (klean strip prep all) after the polish and then glaze and seal

courtdale
09-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Before I continue I'll re-introduce myself since it doesn't seem too many hang out at the water cooler...
I'm Ryan from PA and have been following the forum for quite some time now.
Ok on to my question... I have been reading and re-reading on this and have not yet decided..glaze or not.
In what I'm gathering it's a waste to glaze (meguiars 7) in between the polish and sealant?
I usually wipe down with a paint cleaner (klean strip prep all) after the polish and then glaze and seal

I had the same question a little while ago (also from PA btw - Wilkes-Barre area). I was applying BlackFire Seal and then a Nuba wax. I asked if a glaze step was a waste. What I didn't know is that a glaze fills in/hides left over RIDS and nicks to an extent.

I really could have used this last correction/polish with all of the leftovers I had. Just placed an order yesterday, and grabbed a little of Wolfgang's Glaze as my free sample to play with. Hopfully after this weekends buff, the glaze won't be as necessary.

embolism
09-20-2011, 09:12 AM
unfortunately, wolfgang's glaze is not a glaze at all but a finishing polish

to the OP, on basecoat/clearcoat paint systems, yes, applying Meg's 7 would be a waste of time. Applying some of the new polymer based glazes like CG blacklight, PB Black Hole, or Prima Amigo, will clean and temporarily fill light swirls and enhance gloss but it will not cover bad swirls for long, even when topped with a wax or sealant.

Waxmax
09-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I often use Amigo, EZ Creme, BFGEP or Wet Glaze2.0 prior to the LSP.

I might sacrifice alittle durability with these polymer based glazes, but I just like the look and if it happens to conceal some light swirls I missed (or don't want to remove based on clearcoat depth) when polishing, that's a bonus.

silverfox
09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Future memo......CG Blacklight is a finishing polish/glaze/sealant AIO....and it does all 3 really, really well. Rather unique in the detailing world. Amigo comes close, but Blacklight adds a sealant that is good for an average 4 months.

Waxmax
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, CG Blacklight is a nice product...look/slickness/durability/ease of application like BFWD I think. But BL has some mild abrasives that can make it like an AIO when machine applied.

courtdale
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
unfortunately, wolfgang's glaze is not a glaze at all but a finishing polish

Ugh, well here's hoping I don't need it this time around.

Ryan R
09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I figured it was a waste of time after I did half the trunk of my Durango with the Meguiars 7 and the other half without. Didn't see much (if any) difference.

budinsc
09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
id cut the finish down with mez sip then top it with a good sealant then reseal every 3-4 washings. i think a glaze is a temporary band aid even if you top it with something. the imperfections are always going to be there polish them out for good.

hope this helps.

budinsc

Mike Moore
09-20-2011, 03:57 PM
I use a glaze under a sealant sometimes and it all depends on the vehicles paint.
The reason I use it is not for "filling" or "hiding" swirls that were not polished out.
Filling swirls is not the correct way to detail a vehicle, that is for used car lots.

To me M205 does a real good job preparing the finish for LSP. So why use Menz PO85?
Menz PO85 to me it increases the shine and gloss level and creates a lustrous finish.
I use glaze to enhance the gloss factor and increase the shine & "kick it up a notch".

Ryan R
09-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I use a glaze under a sealant sometimes and it all depends on the vehicles paint.
The reason I use it is not for "filling" or "hiding" swirls that were not polished out.
Filling swirls is not the correct way to detail a vehicle, that is for used car lots.

To me M205 does a real good job preparing the finish for LSP. So why use Menz PO85?
Menz PO85 to me it increases the shine and gloss level and creates a lustrous finish.
I use glaze to enhance the gloss factor and increase the shine & "kick it up a notch".

Understood. My only intention was to "boost the shine".
I agree with the filling or hiding the swirls. I'd rather correctly remove them than have to see them come out again.
I'll have to add the Menz to my list of products to try.

sal329
09-22-2011, 07:04 AM
I like using Amigo, mostly use it for the cleaning aspect and it does give a nice look. I also use Wet Glaze 2.0, it adds a great look even on a polished car. I have not noticed either product shortening the life of my LSP. Wet Glaze is nice because you can put a base coat sealant and then top with Wet Glaze then top with your LSP

Mike Moore
09-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Understood. My only intention was to "boost the shine".
I agree with the filling or hiding the swirls. I'd rather correctly remove them than have to see them come out again.
I'll have to add the Menz to my list of products to try.

For a regular "swirl job" my normal goto's are

Megs M105 / LC Orange
Megs M205 / LC White
Menz PO85 / LC Black
Wet Glaze 2.0
LSP of choice.

This list can vary depending on the paint and the results of the "test spot".

Just did a pair of black and white Challenger's with that combo.
IMHO Glaze adds to the WOW factor when the client picks it up.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/Steve/TwinsRCenter.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/Steve/BlackRear.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/merlinhd03/Detail/Steve/BlackFront.jpg

cobraa
09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
the thing with po85.. is that it contains so much oil it make you think you have holograms on the car when actually is only oil you didnt clean up well.

truckbutt
09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
That black Challenger looks amazing!. I'm also a fan of Wet Glaze 2.0. As stated above, I use it for the depth enhancement, not to fill swirls.