PDA

View Full Version : Should I clay...new Audi

Pages : [1] 2 3

Audi Rick
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I'll be getting a new Audi next month. If anyone has seen how they ship... well there all covered up. So with that said is it worth risking marring it with clay? There shouldn't be any rail dust or contaminants in the paint. Just wondering if I should skip the clay as I prep the car. Thinking about using Opti-Coat 2.0.

Setec Astronomy
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Will you get the car with the plastic on it? Unless you get it with the plastic on it, there's really no telling what the car has been exposed to. Strange things happen..

Dr Oldz
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I would clay it. I did an Audi that was shipped with the plastic on and it still needed a mild claying only one week after delivery. Especially if you are using OC, it is worth the time and effort IMO.

slickooz
09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
What color is your Audi? If it metallic you can easily get away claying with the Meguair's white clay.

But after you do a wash, just take a plastic ziplock bag and run it cross the hood. If you hear/feel anything then I would clay it, before using Opti-Coat 2.0.

Audi Rick
09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
These cars are completely wrapped in plastic. So I figured it should be clean from the factory? I guess I'll just do the test after I wash.

The color is Monsoon Grey.

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Claying the surface of a vehicle isn't an arduous task and done correctly takes only about 30 minutes to complete.

Even though it's a new car inspect the surface to ensure that it's as close to defect free before you apply Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. The extra time will be worth the effort and it can't be done afterwards..

Do it right the first time.....:props:

FussMan
09-19-2011, 03:56 PM
What about using Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System, paint cleaner, paint cleaning foam (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-elastrofoam-cleaner.html) instead of clay?

Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System is a revolutionary replacement for automotive detailing clay products. It removes bonded contamination from paint, glass, chrome and plastic without the abrasive effects of harsh polishes or the inconvenience of detailing clay.

The Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System quickly smoothes your paint to an ultra-slick and bright finish, preparing it for polishing and sealing.
Anyone with experience using this?

Fussman

Dr Oldz
09-19-2011, 03:59 PM
What about using Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System, paint cleaner, paint cleaning foam (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-elastrofoam-cleaner.html) instead of clay?

Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System is a revolutionary replacement for automotive detailing clay products. It removes bonded contamination from paint, glass, chrome and plastic without the abrasive effects of harsh polishes or the inconvenience of detailing clay.

The Ultima Elastrofoam Paint Cleaning System quickly smoothes your paint to an ultra-slick and bright finish, preparing it for polishing and sealing.
Anyone with experience using this?

Fussman

Replaces clay and is a wonderful product. I like the fact that the bar can be washed and reused. It also saves time as there is no need to knead the clay. It works very well IME.

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I have no experience with this product however it sounds interesting! Pricey though!!

Jim, good to hear it works so well!!

dougaross
09-19-2011, 04:11 PM
{Elastofoam}Replaces clay and is a wonderful product. I like the fact that the bar can be washed and reused. It also saves time as there is no need to knead the clay. It works very well IME.
:iagree:see review by Garry Dean

spyder Ned
09-19-2011, 04:41 PM
These cars are completely wrapped in plastic. So I figured it should be clean from the factory? I guess I'll just do the test after I wash.

The color is Monsoon Grey.

I got my R8 in June. Came in an envelope. Dealer did no prep work. Took it home, washed it with Dawn and clayed it. Waste of time. No contaminates. You can see delivery of my car on You Tube. Punch in "red audi R8 delivery". Good luck with yours.

Setec Astronomy
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah, if it's got the plastic on it, it should be good...it's just really hard sometimes to get a car that way.

ronkh57
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Having had an Audi ($$VW$$) (kind of bitter since it was a lemon)
Clay it.

The plastic was put on it at the port, not in Germany.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/IMG_1463.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/2010-09-11120618.jpg

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Having had an Audi ($$$) (kind of bitter since it was a lemon)
Clay it.

The plastic was put on it at the port, not in Germany.

Hi Ron, I would have to believe they put the plastic on at the factory. However, I have also heard about cars being checked here at the port to make sure they are ok under the plastic, and maybe they reapply after that at the port...after sitting outside for 3 weeks. Either way that would explain why some people say they've gotten their car with the plastic but they clayed off a bunch of crap from UNDER where the plastic was.

ronkh57
09-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Ron, I would have to believe they put the plastic on at the factory. However, I have also heard about cars being checked here at the port to make sure they are ok under the plastic, and maybe they reapply after that at the port...after sitting outside for 3 weeks. Either way that would explain why some people say they've gotten their car with the plastic but they clayed off a bunch of crap from UNDER where the plastic was.

Well I do know that BMW ships em thoughout Germany without plastic, then applies plastic at port in US.

Maybe a bad assumption on my part, but I know the crap that came off of my $$VW$$.

Also know that Deep Blue Sea is a harder color to keep nice than BMW Jet Black.