PDA

View Full Version : Help : What the heck happened here?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
After a quick wash, I noticed what appear to be blemishes in the paint. Before attempting any repair action, I would like to identify what the actual problem is. Any ideas? If additional angles would help, I can provide more pics. It doesn't seem that the paint is rough or anything, but wow does it look like the color itself has faded....

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Gary,

From here it actually looks like the hoods been wet sanded!

You never noticed that before?
How long have you had the car?
Have you done anything to it?

Mike Phillips
09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Looks like the beginning stages of clear coat failure. I only have one really good picture of the beginning stages of clear coat failure and it's a picture sent to me while I worked for Meguiar's.

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

Here is the best example I've been able to find that shows beginning clear coat failure, it's from a thread I created on MeguiarsOnline called the The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20411)

Photo Courtesy of MeguiarsOnline
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2600_8_30_06OG003.JPG

Since I have not been able to find a similar car with the beginning of clear coat failure to photograph for the AG forum, and because this is a very useful picture for helping people diagnose what type of problem they're having with their car's clear coat I've added to the Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive here on AG but have given proper credit to where I obtained the photograph.

Due credit where due credit is due.... which more people would do this...

On AutogeekOnline.com

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Had a bad feeling that's what I was going to hear.... Gotta go check my paint warranty :P Glad I didn't start messing with it.

Bobby, the strange thing is that at this point it's only visible at a certain angle. I don't drive this car much so I only really look at it when I go to wash/wax it. Usually wifey takes it to the wash but today was going to be detail day and I nearly had a heart attack.

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
So, the bad and bad news - took a ride over to Chevy in the last few minutes and they confirmed it. Clear coat is shot. First words out of his mouth - did something get on the paint? Not what I wanted to hear AND it's not covered... Naturally they want my first born to repaint it.....

Rsurfer
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
What year and model?

Bobby B.
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Since the dealer confirmed that it is Clear Coat failure. I would try and polish the surface and see if you can temporarily make it look better. The Clear Coat will only get worse over time so there is no rush to have the hood re Painted & Clear Coated.

Setec Astronomy
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Now just hold on one dang minute--if that car is new enough that you thought you had a warranty claim...

Looking at that picture, and how specific the hazed area is...this looks like a "I got some tree sap or tar or something....let me just clean that with a ScotchBrite pad". As Bobby B. says, if you're going to get a repaint, it's worth trying to polish it out.

slickooz
09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm assuming you bought it used, so what year is this car?

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
It's a 2007 Chevy Trailblazer that belongs to my wife. We did get it used but off a 1 year lease. It's not covered under warranty because....get this....it isn't rusting through. I just read with quite a bit of interest the thread on the repair that was done in a very similar case so I am going to hold off. What bugs me about it is that I am really meticulous and how I missed this happening is mind-boggling. Just been a busy summer I guess. I am awaiting a DA polisher so I may try to polish it for now and do the clear coat repaint during my next vacation

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Initially I thought it was wet sanding because of how straight the rear edge is...

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Oh, and I also placed a call to GM directly and they were nice enough to tell me that it's not covered BUT they would cover half of the cost of my wife's fuel gauge when it fails....gee thanks for the heads up on that one...

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe we should have let them go under instead of bailing them out. I hear working folks, you know, the ones that paid for those bailouts, will be getting the next bailout!

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Initially I thought it was wet sanding because of how straight the rear edge is...

I wish I could have said that was the problem. At least I would know I'm the one to blame... When I screw something up it's a little easier to digest I guess. It does kinda look like it was wet sanded though.

garyg7133
09-19-2011, 04:15 PM
They can come bail me out anytime. I have to say, this car has been great. Our other 2 chevy cars.... Yeeeeesh. I'm a Subaru guy now but wifey still swears by Chevy. I've always hated their paint.