PDA

View Full Version : how do you take off wax from a carbon fiber overlay or in general?

touring
09-19-2011, 06:08 AM
i have a car today that has a streak on the 3m clear bra and has wax marks on the carbon fiber. How can i take them out?

FUNX650
09-19-2011, 07:28 AM
i have a car today that has a streak on the 3m clear bra and has wax marks on the carbon fiber. How can i take them out?

Could you please supply a little more info?

What kind of streak on the clear bra are we talking about? (Rubber, cone, wax/polish build-up)
Isn't the carbon fiber overlay clear-coated? (That's the norm anymore)

Thanks.

Bob

Mike Phillips
09-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Picture?

:Picture:

dsottum
09-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Assuming the carbon fiber is clear coated (which it usually is, I have yet to come across any that wasn't), treat it the same way you would regular cleared paint. Dawn wash, IPA mix, or if you prefer name brand specialized products, Griot's has a wax removal solution (I think called surface prep or maybe wax remover iirc).

touring
09-19-2011, 10:00 AM
It's a carbon fiber overlay, so I would assume it's like vinyl. The mark on the clear bra seams like a rubber mark but not sure. Pics going up soon.

Do you wax clear bra? Or just use soap and water?

touring
09-20-2011, 07:00 AM
It's a carbon fiber overlay, so I would assume it's like vinyl. The mark on the clear bra seams like a rubber mark but not sure. Pics going up soon.

Do you wax clear bra? Or just use soap and water?
Just a follow up... I used a Majic eraser very lightly saturated with car wash soap on both the overlay and the 3m worked perfect. thanks guys

FUNX650
09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Just a follow up... I used a Majic eraser very lightly saturated with car wash soap on both the overlay and the 3m worked perfect. thanks guys

Glad everything turned out OK for you! :)

Bob