PDA

View Full Version : 3 stage correction but after rain swirls??

Pages : [1] 2

Hektik
09-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Just wondering if its something im doing wrong or not using the right technique, after doing a 3 stage correction on a black BMW it all just comes back up after being rained or washed? what should i do

il attach some before and afters (these are just after being done)

Cheers :xyxthumbs:

slickooz
09-19-2011, 02:30 AM
What polisher and compound/polish did you use? From the pics it looks like marring and holograms.

truckbutt
09-19-2011, 04:26 AM
It sounds like you are filling in defects with product rather then correcting them. As the above post says, we need to know what you are using and how.

sohail99
09-19-2011, 05:18 AM
You mentioned, 'after wash'!

Can you explain your wash technique!?

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 05:22 AM
If you've truly corrected and removed the swirls then the only way for them to return so quickly is there something in your process that's introducing them once again. Also, as another member mentioned you may have only filled the swirls temporarily hiding them.

shoeless89
09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
If you've truly corrected and removed the swirls then the only way for them to return so quickly is there something in your process that's introducing them once again. Also, as another member mentioned you may have only filled the swirls temporarily hiding them.

:iagree:

Hektik
09-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Alright fellow geeks so heres what i used, its not even after washing it i just parked up after being rained on and can just see it doesnt look as good as when i just buffed

Machine: PC
Lake Country pads/Product
1.White/Orange/ MG 205
2.Blue/3M Ultrafine
3.Black/Menzerna Micropolish
4.Black/MG Sealer Glaze

Im not a pro at this so hopefully some wise geeks out there can point me in the right direction to correct me car... Cheers Guys

Bimmersean
09-20-2011, 02:00 AM
For some reason, BMW black is very soft and easy to correct..The only downside is that you can scratch and marr it up by just looking at it. That being said, since you didn't wash it, i would have to say that you really didn't have a corrected finish to begin with. A three stage correction should comprise of an aggressive or semi-aggressive compound such as M105 or Menzerna SIP with a yellow or an orange pad. M205 is a refinishing polish and just cleans up the compounding marks..You prbably should start with M105 and a LC orange pad followed by M205 and LC white pad and then on to 3M Ultrafina with a 3M blue pad or a LC black pad...Another factor is the technique. if you follow this process and still get the same results, then your technique is the next factor to be looked at. Just my 2 cents.

Sean

Flash Gordon
09-20-2011, 08:04 AM
For some reason, BMW black is very soft and easy to correct..The only downside is that you can scratch and marr it up by just looking at it. That being said, since you didn't wash it, i would have to say that you really didn't have a corrected finish to begin with. A three stage correction should comprise of an aggressive or semi-aggressive compound such as M105 or Menzerna SIP with a yellow or an orange pad. M205 is a refinishing polish and just cleans up the compounding marks..You prbably should start with M105 and a LC orange pad followed by M205 and LC white pad and then on to 3M Ultrafina with a 3M blue pad or a LC black pad...Another factor is the technique. if you follow this process and still get the same results, then your technique is the next factor to be looked at. Just my 2 cents.

Sean

What he said :iagree:

Between each polishing stage, rewash the body or do a alcohol wipedown

courtdale
09-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Between each polishing stage, rewash the body or do a alcohol wipedown

This is something I didn't do and should have. Instead I was spot wiping with QD.

Similar issues and similar car for my first full correction:

Black BMW
LC 8.5" Pads
Wash & Clay
Cut - M105 w/Yellow pad
Medium Cut - Menzerna Power Finish w/Green pad
Polish - Menzerna 85rd w/Gray pad
Seal - Blackfire WD
Wax

Results - VERY nice shiny car, but upon close inspection of the trunk and hood especially, had many rids and imperfections left over. Most do my technique I'm sure, but I did not have the swirls that you mention. I've noticed some light marring here and there since, but I think I reintroduced that by washing/wiping later.

I also should have thoroughly wiped down after the final polish because I had a lot of spots filled in with light colored product (road rash pits etc). That and the cracks and crevices near the trim, door jams etc should have gotten more attention.

Those were my mistakes in a nutshell.

Hektik
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Great thanks for the input guys...Alright i guess maybe i need to compound more with LC orange and a 105 i was just a bit hesitant taking the orange at it.. I have 3M Perfectit 3000 is that ok to use instead of M105 or??

Flash Gordon
09-20-2011, 12:44 PM
He just said perfectit :)

3M Rubbing Compound cuts as well as 105 IMO

dtuna42
09-20-2011, 01:35 PM
He just said perfectit :)

Just had to go there?

truckbutt
09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
FWIW:
1. I've read a lot of posts recommending not to use IPA, especially on Black. As a result, I no longer use it. I switched to Klean Strip- Prep All. you can also use DuPont - Prep Sol or Mineral spirits.

2. I also don't agree with immediately going for M105 on a cutting pad. M205 is very effective getting rid of superficial stuff on a polishing or light cutting pad. It is much safer to start with something less aggressive on a test spot and then decide how to proceed based on your results.

truckbutt
09-20-2011, 06:44 PM
This is what can be done using M205 on a finishing pad. The left is done, the right isn't. I could have used a polishing pad. No M105 and a cutting pad were needed.http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/GS0F8796thb.JPG