PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a brand new vehicle

Ty Webb
09-18-2011, 08:56 PM
OK, I am new to using higher quality detailing products but I have been keeping cars clean for years. My old habit was to wash, dry, wax by hand or with a cheap random orbital, and call it a day.

I have been reading and studying up and recently sank some money into better equipment and products. We just bought a new family truckster (brand new) and I want to start off now with a good foundation to keep it looking nice for the long haul.

Here is my plan so feel free to offer up advice or at least give me a go for it if this sounds reasonable. Of note, I am using almost all products from Griot's Garage. This is an almost daily driver that is kept in the garage.

Here are my steps in order:

Clean the tires and wheels first with Wheel Cleaner & Rubber Cleaner
Wash
Dry
Paint Prep spray on and wipe off
Clay bar with Speed Shine the entire vehicle.
Use R.O. to apply Griot's One Step Sealant
Hand wipe with Micro Fiber
Use R.O to lightly buff with Carnauba Wax Stick
Hand wipe with Micro Fiber cloth
Glass Cleaning Clay Bar
Use R.O. with Fine Glass Polish
Dress the tires with Long Last Tire Dressing
Wash as needed
Monthly use Spray On Wax.

Repeat the whole process in six months but use Best of Show wax in place of Carnauba Wax Stick

Repeat the whole process in another six months but use Best of Show wax in place of Carnauba Wax Stick

Repeat the above in another six months but throw in a step of Machine Polish 3 before Paint Sealant.

That should get me through about the first two years of the vehicle.

Am I on target, close, or way off base? Close enough for a family daily driver?

Any words of wisdom from the experts are always appreciated.

Ty

Ty Webb
09-18-2011, 09:08 PM
I also forgot, I will be using:
Leather Care to condition the new seats in the Dodge R/T minivan. (Yeah, its a man van!!! Or at least as manly as I can get)

I plan to apply an extra coat to the outboard lumbar and thigh area on the seats.

I will use Leather Care Spray monthly and use the regular Leather Care every six months. More if it needs it.

Just for the full story....

Thanks again!

FussMan
09-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Welcome Newbie:

you are on base but...

I did stop reading after your 3rd paragraph...I know others will opine..others will cut and paste their pervious answers

my bad

Fussman

ps..search

Ty Webb
09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry to be a pain in your ass! I won't post again!