PDA

View Full Version : Backing plate questions for my new GG 6" ROP

ethereal
09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new detailer and have been reading AutoGeek for a few months now and finally got around to joining. I have been getting more and more into paint correction over the last few months and am slowly amassing a library of both products and knowledge.

I was given a 1st gen PC 7424 but really have not had a whole lot of luck with it, especially on my rock hard BMW paint. It has helped develop proper technique on curved panels, because any bad form and the pad stops rotating completely.

Since I've decided detailing is going to be a serious hobby for some time to come, I bought a Griots 6" DA (It's $111 shipped right now, pretty hard to beat). However, all of my pads that I currently have are 5.5" low profile Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads.

Which backing plate should I get? I see two main contenders:

Lake Country 5" Backing Plate
Meguiars W67DA 5" Backing Plate

Feed back please

I haven't paid much attention to discussion of backing plates, and am not sure if either is superior to the other, specifically on the Griots machine.

Thanks so much for the input!

-- Alex

nadroj
09-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Will the backing plate from your 7424 not work on the GG?

dad07
09-18-2011, 06:58 PM
either bp will work.......if you ever plan on using the megs mf system then thier bp is the one to have.

Personally i'd get both!

ScottB
09-18-2011, 06:58 PM
I believe the flexible backing plates are indeed interchangable between PC, PCXP, G110, and Griots machine.

Old Tiger
09-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new detailer and have been reading AutoGeek for a few months now and finally got around to joining. I have been getting more and more into paint correction over the last few months and am slowly amassing a library of both products and knowledge.

I was given a 1st gen PC 7424 but really have not had a whole lot of luck with it, especially on my rock hard BMW paint. It has helped develop proper technique on curved panels, because any bad form and the pad stops rotating completely.

Since I've decided detailing is going to be a serious hobby for some time to come, I bought a Griots 6" DA (It's $111 shipped right now, pretty hard to beat). However, all of my pads that I currently have are 5.5" low profile Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads.

Which backing plate should I get? I see two main contenders:

Lake Country 5" Backing Plate
Meguiars W67DA 5" Backing Plate

Feed back please

I haven't paid much attention to discussion of backing plates, and am not sure if either is superior to the other, specifically on the Griots machine.

Thanks so much for the input!

-- Alex

If you get the Megs you are good to go with the Megs DA MF pads too!

Old Tiger
09-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I believe the flexible backing plates are indeed interchangable between PC, PCXP, G110, and Griots machine.
100% correct.

ethereal
09-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I am going to give back the 7424 to the person who originally gave it to me, so I will need to purchase a backing plate of my own. The GG 6" polisher comes with a 6" backing plate so I can't use that one for most of my pads unfortunately.

I read somewhere (can't recall who or where) that the Meguiars BP has a very sharp edge on it that can dig into the foam and tear up pads.

ethereal
09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
I found a local PBE that has the Meguiars 5" BP (W67DA) -- unless someone talks me out of it I think that's what I'll go with. Saves a few dollars on shipping and I feel like that would be a smart choice because I would love to try the DA Microfiber System at some point.

Yes, no, maybe?

Mike Phillips
09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I found a local PBE that has the Meguiars 5" BP (W67DA) -- unless someone talks me out of it I think that's what I'll go with.

Yes, no, maybe?

That will work.

One of the points I make in my e-book is to, when possible, match the backing plate to the foam pad as it relates to the type of hook-n-loop materail beding used.

One simple thing you can do is to purchase backing plates and foam pads from the same manufacture and the majority of the time this will prevent any mismatch issues as most reputable companies do their homework and ensure they are using the correct hook-n-loop materials for both their backing plates and their pads.

It's pretty easy to figure out that a quality company is going to ensure the hood design on their backing plate matches the loop design on the back of their pad.

It's possible that some companies are use similar types of hook-n-loop materail but if you don't know for sure, then if you're using Lake Country pads get a Lake Country backing plate. IF you're using Meguiar's pads, use a Meguiar's backing plate.

3 Types of hooks

J-Hooks
Barb or Mushroom Hooks
Micro-Hooks

And then there's varieties in the different types.

Most hooks will attach to most loops, that's not the same thing as having a combination of hook-n-loop materias that are optimized for each other but if the BIG PICTURE is to not have the pad simply fall off the backing plate then any of the backing plates we seel at Autogeek will work with all the pads we sell.

:)

ethereal
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Mike for the educated reply. I will stick with the LC backing plate. I can't wait to try out the Griots polisher -- I've heard nothing but good things.

Mike Phillips
08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks Mike for the educated reply. I will stick with the LC backing plate. I can't wait to try out the Griots polisher -- I've heard nothing but good things.

You're welcome and if you're new to machine polishing you'll be glad you made the switch from working by hand to working by machine. You get better results faster. Period.

:xyxthumbs: