PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable question

JoeyD
09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I am the proud owner of the new porter cable 7424XP polisher.

I follow Mike Phillips directions exactly (using Wolfgang polish- no swirl marks yet car is still new) but the pad is not spinning-(as I put the magic marker line on the pad so I can see if it is turning). When I take pressure off I can get the pad to spin but it requires me to almost hold the 7424 in mid air I have so little pressure on it. What am I doing wrong?Feed back please

Rsurfer
09-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I follow Mike Phillips directions exactly (using Wolfgang polish- no swirl marks yet car is still new) but the pad is not spinning-(as I put the magic marker line on the pad so I can see if it is turning). When I take pressure off I can get the pad to spin but it requires me to almost hold the 7424 in mid air I have so little pressure on it. What am I doing wrong?Feed back please

What size backing plate and pads do you have?

Elite Pro
09-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi, Welcome to AG!

What size pads are you using? I have the best results using a 5.5" pad with the 7424xp, much easier on the machine to keep the pad spinning.

onlycodered
09-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Which speed setting are you using on your PC? Anything under 4.5 will require you to use almost no pressure to get the pad to spin.

BobbyG
09-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Believe it or not you may not be applying enough pressure. Little or light pressure results in minimal or no pad rotation and too much pressure will stop it too. With this style of polisher meaning non forced rotation, proper pressure is paramount to pad rotation..

Pad size is also important and as mentioned about 5 1/2" diameter pads are the best performers on this style of machine.

JoeyD
09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Wow--thanks for the quick reply!
I am using the 5.5 backing plate with the 6" Lake country pads the proper pad color as per Mike Phillips.

Rsurfer
09-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Wow--thanks for the quick reply!
I am using the 5.5 backing plate with the 6" Lake country pads the proper pad color as per Mike Phillips.
Try getting a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.

427cobraS/C
09-18-2011, 06:00 PM
There should be a washer on the backing plate. If that's not there, the plate could be
hitting the housing for the counter balance. That happened to me with the 4 in. backing plate.

this may help
Jim

JoeyD
09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
I just measured the backing plate is 5" and the pads seem to be at least 6" but measure 6.5" on the face side.
I will speak to customer service and see if can exchange all these pads I have for the proper size, the Autogeek guys are great so I don't think I will have any problem. Thank you guys your information was of great help!

dtuna42
09-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Even with the smaller pads, they can load up and stop rotating, so remember to clean off the excess product (and dirt/debris) periodically during use.

Kurt_s
09-18-2011, 11:52 PM
I have no problems with 5.5" Flat and HT pads but started with 6.5" CCS pads. I didn't get the cut that I wanted with the 6.5" CCS pads.

About 15-20 lbs of pressure. Don't use too much or too little polish/compound.

I recommend trying Surbufs and MF pads at some point. Much faster cut like a rotary without the holograms.

Kurt

JoeyD
09-21-2011, 11:47 PM
thanks for the info you have been helpful
regards

JoeyD
09-21-2011, 11:52 PM
thanks for the info dtuna!

shoeless89
09-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Try getting a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.

:iagree: I had 6" pads and I had the same problem sometimes. 5" pads work so much better

Mike Phillips
09-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Believe it or not you may not be applying enough pressure. Little or light pressure results in minimal or no pad rotation and too much pressure will stop it too.

Good point Bobby.

There's a strange phenomena that happens with DA Polishers that if you have the face of the pad against the paint but little to almost no downward pressure, the pad will just vibrate and even spin backwards.

Then as soon as you shove your hand down on the head of the tool the magic happens and the pad starts rotating.

The comment about the pad not rotating with little pressure is actually common from people brand new to machine polishing as they can be a little apprehensive when first starting out...

In this trouble shooting guide, I left this issue out so I'll update it and include it.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html)

:)