PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Strength

Mike@DistinctImage
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi guys

Don't know if this is the right place for this but does anyone know how strong an air compressor you need for cleaning DA microfiber discs? Getting my DA mf kit soon and need to get an air compressor.

Thanks,

BobbyG
09-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Mike,

Compressors are capable of producing some very high and dangerous levels of air. Most air guns are designed to regulate the actual pressure delivered to about 30psi regardless what in the hose.

Depending on your needs you may be able to get by with one of the small portable units from one of the big home centers.

Many air tools will list its air consumption and if your goal is to use large amounts of air size the compressor with that in mind. Compressors are rated in CFM; cubic feet of air per minute at 40psi and 90psi. This should correlate to the tools you intend to use...

tw33k2514
09-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Any small compressor will work for pad cleaning. But think hard about if you are gunna want to buy some air tools in the future. Perhaps a tornador...

aerogt01
09-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Any small compressor will work for pad cleaning. But think hard about if you are gunna want to buy some air tools in the future. Perhaps a tornador...

Agreed. However, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 3 gallon unless you want it running constantly.

The larger the tank, the more cleanings you can get before you hear the compressor again.

jfelbab
09-18-2011, 01:55 PM
I limit my compressor to 30psi just in case. You don't need a lot of pressure to clean pads. This method of pad cleaning is really efficient and fast.

I have a Makita MAC700 and it is quiet and quite good at maintaining the pressure needed for many air tools.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61x8JKv2ezS._AA1000_.jpg
I'd definitely recommend an oil-lube type compressor for long life and quietness.

I found a deal by monitoring the deals web sites. If you're not on a hurry, bookmark Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon (http://slickdeals.net) and DealCatcher: Free Online Coupons Amazon, Dell, Old Navy, Overstock (http://www.dealcatcher.com) and check then daily. Sooner or later you may strike on one.

Mike@DistinctImage
09-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Wow, thanks guys for the speedy input!

Yeah I'm only looking to clean pads for the moment, air compressor's aren't cheap in my country so will look at something small and step up in future.

Thanks again to everyone and BobbyG for the detailed (excuse the pun) answer. :)

BillE
09-19-2011, 05:37 AM
...air compressor's aren't cheap in my country so will look at something small and step up in future...

Just to be nosy, how much are compressors going for in Cape Town?

Bill

Mike@DistinctImage
09-19-2011, 08:42 AM
BillE, depending on size, but a 50 liter, 2.2kW (don't know what that is in imperial terms) is around R3000, so roughly $400.

Pretty expensive for us though. But I think I'll be good with a much smaller one for my purposes :)

C. Charles Hahn
09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Mike, just keep in mind that you don't HAVE to have/use an air compressor to clean the MF pads; you can use a pad brush or bug sponge as well if a compressor would be a major expense for you.

BillE
09-20-2011, 07:00 AM
BillE, depending on size, but a 50 liter, 2.2kW (don't know what that is in imperial terms) is around R3000, so roughly $400.

Pretty expensive for us though. But I think I'll be good with a much smaller one for my purposes :)

Thanx!

Is that $400 in 'your' money or 'mine'?

Like I said above, just curious and nosy...LOL

Here's the conversion for whomever wants it...50 liter=13.2 gal (US), 2.2KW=2.95HP

Bill

SPIROS ANTONIOU
09-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Hi guys

Don't know if this is the right place for this but does anyone know how strong an air compressor you need for cleaning DA microfiber discs? Getting my DA mf kit soon and need to get an air compressor.

Thanks,

Just a little tip my friend ,if you are planning to buy ,buy a compressor with big bottle so you dont have to fill it every time.For exaple i have a little compressor (15 years old) and only last for three cleanings.then i have to refill it again.Hope you can undersant what iam trying to say because my english are poor

Thank you

Mike@DistinctImage
09-20-2011, 08:54 AM
BillE thanks for the conversion. My country's currency is South African Rand (ZAR) which we term as 'R' so R3000 = roughly $400. Most of our detailing gear sold here is imported (funnily enough) through Autogeek in bulk. Things like the DA microfiber system is waaay cheaper for us to import through local Amazon portals.

Spiros: I don't quite know what you mean. I'm guessing you mean the compressor reservoir? It is my understanding that compressors don't need refilling? :confused:

mark58
09-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Using air compressor to clean pads is only one way. As others have mentioned use a soft (plastic) brush. It works just fine for me and I have air coprocessor and don't use it.