PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions soft paint

ThirdgenTa
09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
So I am buffing my friends Gran National and using Menzerna power finish, Lake country white pad and Cobra blue microfiber. Well once I remove the swirls and go to wipe the polish and the dust off, the paint is so soft that it is putting scratches in the paint. So the paint goes from hazy and full of swirls to clean but looking like I put some small RIDS in the paint. I am not sure what to do to prevent this and also I was going to do an IPA wipe down to get rid of the polish oils and the dust, but that will make it worse! I also thought about washing it, but don't know if that will put swirls back in.
As far as washing, I just have a Cobra Chenille microfiber mit, 2 buckets with grit gaurd and ONR and Duragloss 901 for soap. (no foam gun) Leaf blower and Cobra gold waffle weaves to dry.
I've actually done half the car and will be finishing it in a couple of hours.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

john b
09-18-2011, 08:14 AM
what other polishs do you have

loudog2
09-18-2011, 08:28 AM
This happens to my car all the time. I have a black SUV with soft paint. I do notice more swirls after a IPA wipedown, so I try to avoid a strong combo. Try a wash using a citrus base soap. I come to realize that it will never be perfect with my paint.

It does get frustrating though!! Espeacially after hours of hard work..

ThirdgenTa
09-18-2011, 08:33 AM
what other polishs do you have

Powergloss and superfinish.

loudog2
09-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I use menzerna with mine too. Diminishing abrasives work a lot better. I tried 205 to finish once and it left a lot of marring.

What are you going to use as your LSP?

Also, do you have any new pads? Could something be stuck in the foam pad you are using? How many passes are you doing? Is the polish breaking down enough?

ThirdgenTa
09-18-2011, 09:19 AM
I use menzerna with mine too. Diminishing abrasives work a lot better. I tried 205 to finish once and it left a lot of marring.

What are you going to use as your LSP?

Also, do you have any new pads? Could something be stuck in the foam pad you are using? How many passes are you doing? Is the polish breaking down enough?

I will be using Menzerna Power Lock for LSP

One of the pads I used was brand new. Its not that the pad was instilling marks it was after I wiped the polish off. So the swirl marks would be gone, but there would be straight marks.

As far as the amount of passes I am doing about 6. I am still not the best for telling how broken down it's supposed to be.

Here is a pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/ThirdenTa/035-6.jpg

rfinkle2
09-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Put a microfiber bonnet over the pad, or trap a piece of mf'r in between the pad and the paint and spritz with water.

You really have to work powerfinish for a while, or there is a lot of residue to wipe off.

In the future, you might try Menzerna po16fa (aka superfinish) on particularly soft paint.

Best of luck.

mg6045
09-18-2011, 10:48 AM
I find PowerFinish to break down relatively easily. The only time it may be hard to wipeoff is if you buff it till its dry.

mg6045
09-18-2011, 10:51 AM
I will be using Menzerna Power Lock for LSP

One of the pads I used was brand new. Its not that the pad was instilling marks it was after I wiped the polish off. So the swirl marks would be gone, but there would be straight marks.

As far as the amount of passes I am doing about 6. I am still not the best for telling how broken down it's supposed to be.

Here is a pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/ThirdenTa/035-6.jpg

Those dont look like toweling marks. They look like Rids that have been there under the swirls. You can see some of the scratch's go from the corrected side into the uncorrected side. You may want to use a stronger polish like SIP, or a more aggresive pad, or use more pressure and with slower arm movement. The PowerFinish looked to do a great job of removing the swirls but theres no way its aggressive enough to cut those deep RIDS out.

Dr Oldz
09-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Those dont look like toweling marks. They look like Rids that have been there under the swirls. You can see some of the scratch's go from the corrected side into the uncorrected side. You may want to use a stronger polish like SIP, or a more aggresive pad, or use more pressure and with slower arm movement. The PowerFinish looked to do a great job of removing the swirls but theres no way its aggressive enough to cut those deep RIDS out.

I totally agree with this. I would try the Powergloss that you have on a test spot to see if there is any improvement.