PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar sand paper effect ?

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
09-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Well I just clayed my car and this is not the first time but everytime it seems like I used a sand paper because the orange peel peaks became dull....
Is this normal ? Or maybe my claybar is too aggressive ?
It's a 3m perfect-it
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8140/dsc05792mini.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6546/dsc05799mini.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6831/dsc05801mini.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7496/dsc05802mini.jpg

onlycodered
09-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Either the clay is too aggressive or you're not using enough lubricant. What are you using for lubricant?

Rez90
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Either the clay is too aggressive or you're not using enough lubricant. What are you using for lubricant?

This.

DaC
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM

This.

Well.. I'm using dish soap with water sprayed...... I put a good amount of it and the clay was gliding very nicely.... the last time I clayed was 6 months ago and the car is kept with collinite #885 every month or two.... it was cool to see the clay came clean even after doing the entire car... it stays parked outside, under trees most of the time but at night....
And if I do remember well when I used Meg's UQD to clay it wasn't that different....

Rei86
09-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Go to Wal Mart and pick up the Meguiar's or Mother's Clay kit and do a side by side.

Sounds like your clay is a bit to aggressive, and also use that dedicated clay lube (detailing spray) to see if it also makes a difference.

Rez90
09-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Well.. I'm using dish soap with water sprayed...... I put a good amount of it and the clay was gliding very nicely.... the last time I clayed was 6 months ago and the car is kept with collinite #885 every month or two.... it was cool to see the clay came clean even after doing the entire car... it stays parked outside, under trees most of the time but at night....
And if I do remember well when I used Meg's UQD to clay it wasn't that different....

Use detail spray....mkay?

DaC
09-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll start using ONR as a clay lubricant... it just needs to get here first.... =]

But thinking this way.... if I continue to do this, I might remove all the orange peel from the paint...... LoL

onlycodered
09-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Sounds like someone's anxious! Hahaha. I'd recommend waiting for the ONR to arrive as dish soap is probably not the best option for claying.

On a side note I used the Ultima Elastrofoam system today for the first time and I have to say that I personally will never be using an actual piece of clay ever again. I no longer need to knead (ha!) clay. Just rinse the Elastrofoam pad and off I go!

DaC
09-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Sounds like someone's anxious! Hahaha. I'd recommend waiting for the ONR to arrive as dish soap is probably not the best option for claying.

On a side note I used the Ultima Elastrofoam system today for the first time and I have to say that I personally will never be using an actual piece of clay ever again. I no longer need to knead (ha!) clay. Just rinse the Elastrofoam pad and off I go!

Spend a saturday without washing my car ???? :bat: I'm just too addicted to it right now to do that.... :laughing:

So Elastrofoam does work ? but it won't remove wax, sometimes I clay to remove and wax the car again...

onlycodered
09-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Spend a saturday without washing my car ???? :bat: I'm just too addicted to it right now to do that.... :laughing:

So Elastrofoam does work ? but it won't remove wax, sometimes I clay to remove and wax the car again...Regular clay only removes some wax, not all, and I'd imagine Elastrofoam would remove just as much as normal clay. The bottom side of the Elastrofoam block has a coating on it that feels almost exactly like clay, but contaminants don't get stuck in it! :props:

DaC
09-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Regular clay only removes some wax, not all, and I'd imagine Elastrofoam would remove just as much as normal clay. The bottom side of the Elastrofoam block has a coating on it that feels almost exactly like clay, but contaminants don't get stuck in it! :props:

Well I would say most of it, because no more beading after claying the car.... I'm still looking for a place to do my car, as my condo manager gave me a big No....

For what you say Elastrofoam seems to be a really nice product, I might give it a try on the next buy frenzy.... :dblthumb2:

shoeless89
09-18-2011, 09:27 AM
One reason your removing all your wax is because your using dish soap as lube. I use Dawn to STRIP my old wax before I put more on. Its a degreaser so it removes all the wax. And IMO it probably wouldn't provide the amount of lubricity I would want when claying a car. That might be why it acted like sandpaper.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

DaC
09-18-2011, 12:14 PM
One reason your removing all your wax is because your using dish soap as lube. I use Dawn to STRIP my old wax before I put more on. Its a degreaser so it removes all the wax. And IMO it probably wouldn't provide the amount of lubricity I would want when claying a car. That might be why it acted like sandpaper.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

But, can it be that bad ? I mean... I want to get rid from orange peel anyway but I'm too afraid to wetsand....

shoeless89
09-18-2011, 03:11 PM
But, can it be that bad ? I mean... I want to get rid from orange peel anyway but I'm too afraid to wetsand....

Well your scared to wetsand but you doing that with the clay (if thats really whats happening) so why not just do it the right way and actually wetsand?

As far as the dish soap goes, yes it shouldn't be used that often. It will dry out the paint, rubber, seals, ect. But use every once in a while is ok

DaC
09-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Well your scared to wetsand but you doing that with the clay (if thats really whats happening) so why not just do it the right way and actually wetsand?

As far as the dish soap goes, yes it shouldn't be used that often. It will dry out the paint, rubber, seals, ect. But use every once in a while is ok

Well, I only use it when claying. I have the ULT Quick Detailer but it is pretty expensive around here (Brazil). About $35.00a bottle, that's why I choose to go with dish soup.... when I have my ONR it will be much easier as it's gonna be a way cheaper quick detailer...

Well.... I'm thinking about wetsanding with 3000 grit.... but I'm really afraid of doing any harm to the factory paint...