PDA

View Full Version : Will a sealant "seal" in a polish or glaze?

Pages : [1] 2 3

fredcandetail
09-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Just curious if this isbtheoretically correct .. Meaning will the sealant lock in the oils and and give the finished work more longevity or do they not "lock in" and not bond to each other?

embolism
09-17-2011, 04:57 PM
not really

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/37488-glazes-under-sealant-wax-day-1-a.html

I only tested a few combinations though so maybe some play better with others...

Garry Dean
09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Just curious if this isbtheoretically correct .. Meaning will the sealant lock in the oils and and give the finished work more longevity or do they not "lock in" and not bond to each other?

I will generally use some type of paint prep or do an iso alcohol wipedown after polishing, before a sealant application. Prepping the paint and removing polishing oils helps the wax or sealant to bond better.

truckbutt
09-17-2011, 05:33 PM
There are a number of "glazes" that are formulated to be applied immediately before the application of a sealant. These include: Wet Glaze 2.0, Poorboys Black Hole Glaze and Chemical Guys Acrylic Creme Glaze. "Glaze" technology has created a number of new products rendering the meaning of the term "glaze" very hazy. More important then name, it's important that you follow the manufacturer's directions.

poweraid
09-17-2011, 05:37 PM
black hole can be applied before a sealant or wax and not effect the bonding of it? will the glaze then wear off quickly ? enlighten me !

longdx
09-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I have used the combination of Black Hole followed by Collinite IW845 with no durability issues. You can essentially lock in the effects of the glaze with the sealant. Older glazes were used to give easy, quick gloss to a finish but would wear off quickly. The glazes mentioned by "truckbutt" are formulated to work in conjuction of a sealant. While I haven't tried the other two glazes, BH works well for me

truckbutt
09-17-2011, 06:49 PM
black hole can be applied before a sealant or wax and not effect the bonding of it? will the glaze then wear off quickly ? enlighten me !
If you use a"glaze" that the manufacturer says is designed to be applied before a sealant/wax, it will be locked in by the sealant/wax and will not "wear off" until either the sealant/wax wears off or you remove it.

Rei86
09-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Chemical Guy's black light is also a "glaze" and can be used under a sealant/wax also.

truckbutt
09-17-2011, 08:14 PM
There is unfortunately no consistent use of the name "glaze". It has come to mean different things depending on the product and manufacturer.

embolism
09-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I have used the combination of Black Hole followed by Collinite IW845 with no durability issues. You can essentially lock in the effects of the glaze with the sealant. Older glazes were used to give easy, quick gloss to a finish but would wear off quickly. The glazes mentioned by "truckbutt" are formulated to work in conjuction of a sealant. While I haven't tried the other two glazes, BH works well for me

I don't know how you can say this. We all know how durable Collinite 845 is -- 5 months is not unreasonable. What you have essentially said is that the fillers in BH will also last 5 months or as long as the Collinite.

Sorry, that is just not the case, or I'd never need to ever polish my car again...

glazes fill in and disguise swirls to some extent but are not locked in by anything put on top of them, instead, they mix with the wax/sealant, and eventally get washed out of the swirls, so after a few washes, you will have nice shiney swirls again...

truckbutt
09-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't know how you can say this. We all know how durable Collinite 845 is -- 5 months is not unreasonable. What you have essentially said is that the fillers in BH will also last 5 months or as long as the Collinite.

Sorry, that is just not the case, or I'd never need to ever polish my car again...

glazes fill in and disguise swirls to some extent but are not locked in by anything put on top of them, instead, they mix with the wax/sealant, and eventally get washed out of the swirls, so after a few washes, you will have nice shiney swirls again...
That just isn't factually correct. The glaze doesn't magically gas out of the Collinite. If the Collinite lasts 5 months, so does the glaze.

embolism
09-17-2011, 10:25 PM
If what you say is true then all I need to have a show car finish is a bottle of black hole glaze and Collinite 845. Apply both once every 5 months and my swirls would be taken care of until the next application...

fredcandetail
09-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Now were talking boys ... The past few posts about locking in the results is just what I was hoping to get clarified.... So let's say that you glaze and then 845, and let's assume that u polish and then APC it down or whatever prep solution to remove the oils I can see 845 bonding and sealing pretty well but will BH wash out with an APC WASH? ... and I can see 845 lasting however long it does with the proper washings etc ... Let's say you use CQuartz instead of 845 is this more of a permanent seal?

Elite Pro
09-18-2011, 01:18 AM
CQuartz recommends application on bare paint, free of all polishing oils & glazes, so there might be durability issues there

Rei86
09-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Mostly probably has to do with the bonding issue that CQuartz/AQuartz/E119 will have. Same goes for what OPT recommends having a bare paint finish when applying Opti-Coat 2.0/Opti-Guard; so the product can bond with the paint better.

However when on the subject of "glaze" some "glazes" are actually made to be worked in conjunction with a product topped on it. IE Chemical Guys seems to have a very strong following with glazes that look great on a non-perfect paint with a topper on it (IE Nuba Waxes and or Sealants, no coatings since every coating manufacture likes you to have bare paint as a base).