PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Steamer versus extractor

Pages : [1] 2

ScottB
09-17-2011, 09:56 AM
One of our forum member needs your help, please post your preference and consider comments too.

ShineTimeDetail
09-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks killer for helping me!

After buying my hp60 I don't see much need for my VX5000... Except for leather and windows. I'd say hands down carpet extractor!

Rav777
09-17-2011, 11:22 AM
I would say both come in handy, but if I had to pick one it would definitely be an extractor all the way! Like mentioned, steam cleaners do help with leather seats and door panels. I decided to buy a good extractor and a 100 dollar steam cleaner. Works for me!

Klink10
09-17-2011, 12:40 PM
I agree. I have the VX already so next up would be the extractor for sure.

pixelmonkey
09-17-2011, 02:43 PM
have a steamer

wish i had a carpet extractor

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

BobbyG
09-17-2011, 02:49 PM
I think a carpet extractor is more versatile and brings more to the game. Having the seats, carpets, and floor matts looking like new is very important to the customer therefore I chose carpet extractor...

jwgreen6
09-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks killer for helping me!

After buying my hp60 I don't see much need for my VX5000... Except for leather and windows. I'd say hands down carpet extractor!

Isn't one of the biggest arguments in favor of steamer vs extractor is the steamer uses less water than an extractor, thus the seats and carpets dry quicker?

What do you use for the rest of the interior?

I'm on the fence for buying either a VX5000 or a HP60. Sounds like the HP60 would be the better buy, eh?

ShineTimeDetail
09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I may sell you my VX5000? See if you get a good powerful extractor it will leave the seats fairly dry. The extractor I think takes less time because you one, don't have to switch from steam the go get vacuum, 2 you don't have to blot up the dirt because the shop vac isn't enough to get all the dirt out. But the extractor I got is 2x the price of the VX...

I don't use the steamer for anything but the seats and occasionally the door stills. I find too many times it discolors the plastic with steam.

lokerola
09-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Well, as a hobbyist I use our Bissell Little Green Machine. It's cheap and cheerful and works just fine. It's a small steamer that works for cleaning small areas on the seats and the carpet. Is it industrial? Hell no! Does it work for a weekend detailer with only 3 vehicles to keep clean? Heck yea!

2old2change
09-17-2011, 11:34 PM
I may sell you my VX5000? See if you get a good powerful extractor it will leave the seats fairly dry. The extractor I think takes less time because you one, don't have to switch from steam the go get vacuum, 2 you don't have to blot up the dirt because the shop vac isn't enough to get all the dirt out. But the extractor I got is 2x the price of the VX...

I don't use the steamer for anything but the seats and occasionally the door stills. I find too many times it discolors the plastic with steam.

Have you tried the steamer on egg-crate type grills or under hood cleaning ? I think both the extractor and a steamer have their place in the detailing process. I'm ready to upgrade from my lowley LGM to something like the Mytee Lite but also in the market for a VX5000 like yours.

dbbrooks
09-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, as a hobbyist I use our Bissell Little Green Machine. It's cheap and cheerful and works just fine. It's a small steamer that works for cleaning small areas on the seats and the carpet. Is it industrial? Hell no! Does it work for a weekend detailer with only 3 vehicles to keep clean? Heck yea!

:iagree: The new Auto Care is awesome and I had the old one for 12 years and it worked great!

V3AutoDetailing
09-18-2011, 06:04 PM
I use my vx5000 way more than my extractor. I think the steamer cleans just as well. If something is caked on, the vx5000 can spray hot water. then you can just wipe up with a few towles and a vacuum.

The steamer can be used for alot more, around the house it is great to have.

Showroom Shine
09-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Well I bit the bullet early when I started my business and bought an Extractor! The Aztec Hot Rod Hot Spotter! I really Love the piece of equipment. I also purchased a McCulloh Steamer. With the 2, I can handle most clean ups. If one doesn't get it the other will. I have become fairly proficient with the steamer. With a good apc and a rag over the steamer head cloth seats and panels are cleaned in less than half the time. With the extractor the main concern is to just get the carpet or mats wet enough to pull out the dirt. Over wetting is not recommended. When mats are exceptionally dirty and full of mud & dust after air blowing them they can be pressure washed if you have an extractor. Extract immeadiately so they can dry,while the rest of the of the detail can be completed. I do mats first thing, and lay to them aside. This is my process and not by any means condoning anyone elses routine!

Matt
09-19-2011, 06:50 AM
When mats are exceptionally dirty and full of mud & dust after air blowing them they can be pressure washed if you have an extractor. Extract immeadiately so they can dry,while the rest of the of the detail can be completed. I do mats first thing, and lay to them aside. This is my process and not by any means condoning anyone elses routine!

This ^ is what I find is needed when you have mats or carpets soaked with some sort of liquid. I had to clean cat pee from my home carpet and the only way to fully remove the cat pee was to pour water on them then use the extractor to extact the pee mixed water (as the cat pee had dried). Came up great and now no more cat pee smell.

A steamer would have not suited at all in this situation because the pee had soaked deep into the carpet and required being deep cleaned/ extracted to get it out.

96Lude
09-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I would say both come in handy, but if I had to pick one it would definitely be an extractor all the way! Like mentioned, steam cleaners do help with leather seats and door panels. I decided to buy a good extractor and a 100 dollar steam cleaner. Works for me!

Sorry, but a 100$ steam cleaner is a toy, unless you used a real steam cleaner which costs $800-$1000, you cannot really compare. I have used a $300 steam cleaner and it was garbage compared to a $1000 machine, I tried both.

A steamer would have not suited at all in this situation because the pee had soaked deep into the carpet and required being deep cleaned/ extracted to get it out.

Have you ever used a REAL steam cleaner? Those cheap $100 machines are useless.

Steam is thinner than water, so it would definitely penetrate deeper into the carpet. I have used an industrial steam cleaner worth $1000 and trust me, the smell would have been gone with that unit from your car.

The unit I tried is the Dupray Tosca.

Tosca Commercial Strength Vapor Steam Cleaner from Dupray

Please don't make these statements if you have not actually tried a real steam cleaner.