PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for chrome wheels

jamores23
09-17-2011, 07:49 AM
I have a client who stated they have chrome wheels and there are brown spots on the wheels. Any tips on polishing out chrome wheels? Will opt metal polish do any good? and the brown spots , im almost sure its gotta be rust??????

FUNX650
09-17-2011, 01:30 PM
I have a client who stated they have chrome wheels and there are brown spots on the wheels. Any tips on polishing out chrome wheels? Will opt metal polish do any good? and the brown spots , im almost sure its gotta be rust??????

Wash & dry the wheels. See if your fingernail catches in the brown/rust spots. (Wouldn't hurt to take a look see at the brown/rust spots through a magnifing lens also)

If they do, the top chromium layer has been compromised, and perhaps the bright nickle plating and copper layers too.

(If this is not the case, it might just be some "flash rust". Keep your fingers crossed for this scenario...easily removed with metal polish.)

Not much you can do for the first example I gave except, if that's the case, use a non-aggresive metal polish to further 'clean' the wheel and use a good sealant afterwards for protection.

This will have to do until your customer decides to either have the wheels re-plated (expensive!) or purchase new ones.

Just my opinion...since I don't have the wheels in front of me.

Bob

ScottB
09-18-2011, 08:36 AM
once chrome blisters its almost impossible to repair other than professionally. Generally heres how to keep chrome up :

1. Use a chrome specific wheel cleaner (Griots)
2. Chrome polish as necessary
3. Consider protecting wheel with a sealant of wheel wax product

Blackg35shine
09-18-2011, 10:09 PM
I have chrome rims on my Infiniti G35 (Enkei rims) and the best think I use to make them shine is to use Mother's Tire & Rim. It is a nice cleaner that works very well

Steps I use

1) spray down with Mother's Tire and Rim, then let sit for 5-10min
2) scrub with rim brush depending on how much gunk is on the rim
3) spray off with water (light water spray, not too hard)
4) dry down with microfiber towel

It makes my rims shine amazing. I can see them reflect off the streets as I drive lol. :) and I get lots of compliments on how they shine very nicely. Best of luck to you!

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4cb94aa9-b1e7-2b00.jpg

Flip
09-18-2011, 10:15 PM
What about claying to remove some rust?
I heard of one detailing shop using some type of acid, the guy working there told me they use acid and they don't even have to touch the rims.
Also heard about using steel wool.

Not sure about any of these options but worth a thought.
I clayed some chrome rims the other day, and it seriously took me 1hr 2o min of serious labor. There was probably a more effective way of removing that rust, and I'd love to know how hahaa.

Blackg35shine
09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
What about claying to remove some rust?
I heard of one detailing shop using some type of acid, the guy working there told me they use acid and they don't even have to touch the rims.
Also heard about using steel wool.

Not sure about any of these options but worth a thought.
I clayed some chrome rims the other day, and it seriously took me 1hr 2o min of serious labor. There was probably a more effective way of removing that rust, and I'd love to know how hahaa.

Most rim compounds are composed of acids through my understanding. But not all. I know for a fact mother's and McGuires rim cleaning products have acid compounds in them

Flash Gordon
09-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Man you get some crappy cars. lol I gotta hand it to you though for sticking it out

Clean that rust off with xxxx steel wool, then polish with 105