PDA

View Full Version : FLEX 3401 DA with Menzerna Medium polish.

mg6045
09-17-2011, 06:55 AM
My intention is to correct with Menzerna Power Finish. I have found that I can easily do a nice 1 step on a light colored car with Power finish and a Tangerine HT pad on just about any car.

Last week I was able to us Power Finish with a LC Light cut Orange Flat pad and finish out perfectly. The machine was the Griots Garage DA and I used speed 6. I was working on 2011 Audi S4 paint, which I would consider a clearcoat that is hard. I Am usually able to finish off with stronger polish's and more abrasive pads on this paint with excellent clarity compared to other paint systems. The reason I went to the Orange pad is because I was able to correct a lot faster with it. On the hood I taped off a section and used Super Finish (106fa) with a black pad and did not notice a difference in the results that I felt was worth another 6 hours of labor. So I finished off the hood with 106 and stopped there.

So last week I was done wtih the top half of the car. I stopped at the body line that is right above the doorhandles. So now I have the lower half of the car to do. Theres a lot of curved surfaces in those areas so I decided to take out the Flex DA. Ive had the flex for a while but never used it to correct.

My first plan of attack it to go back to the Tangerine HT pad and power finish and do a 1 step. I was hoping that with the added ability of the flex I would be able to get similar correction as to the GG DA and orange pad.

So my question is what speed would you guys recommend I use on the Flex for correction ? Do I stay away from speed 6 ? speed 5 better, or I have even seen speed 4 used for correction. I'm confused and need help. thanks.

BobbyG
09-17-2011, 07:25 AM
So my question is what speed would you guys recommend I use on the Flex for correction ? Do I stay away from speed 6 ? speed 5 better, or I have even seen speed 4 used for correction. I'm confused and need help. thanks.

Oscillations Per Minute for Comparison

Flex 3401-3200-9600
Griots & PC 7424-2500-6800

For paint correction and polishing I use speeds 4 to 5 on the Flex. This combined with its forced pad rotation works well.

Don't be afraid to experiment to tailor it to your application...

mg6045
09-17-2011, 07:30 AM
thanks a bunch for the quick response Bobby ! I thought I saw you guys on the forum state that Speed 5 is very common or correction, but I wanted to ask first to be sure.

I will start at speed 5 and go from there. As long as my pad stays rotating on these curved panels (which it will with the Flex ) I probably wont see a need to step up to higher speeds. I am doing a 1 step so I dont want to be hammering the paint so I can avoid having to follow up with a finishing polish.