PDA

View Full Version : 7424XP or Cyclo

Pages : [1] 2

P&B detail
09-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Which one of these would be better to buy? By better I mean easiest to use and will give best results. This would be my first machine so if you could give any help I would appreciate it. :xyxthumbs:

longdx
09-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Either would be a good choice. I am partial to the Cyclo (US made in Colorado and built like a tank.All it ever needs is a periodic brush replacement and the thing will last for 50 years) Some do complain that it can be awkward in smaller spaces and lack of speed adjustment. However, the 7424XP has variable speeds and is built well. Newer Cyclo polishers have addressed this by finally offering a speed dial. The 7424XP has a vast array of pad choices and sizes to really tailor it to a particular job.

Mobile detail
09-17-2011, 12:01 AM
If this is your 1st time using a machine I would recommend the pc. Cyclo is a different beast and can be difficult for new users.

Kristopher1129
09-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I can't speak on the Cyclo cause I've never used it.

What I can say...is that I've been using the PC for quite a while now. The pad choices are great, and the tool absolutely is excellent to start with. Get's the job done well, and has performed flawlessly.

My issues with the PC, and the main reasons I'm in the market for something different...is the power, on/off switch location, vibration, and the rotation of the pad is easily stopped. Other than that, it's awesome. Even if I found a replacement...I would absolutely still hold on to it for LSP applications, or particular jobs. I'd probably just throw a smaller backing plate on and use it as a 3" polisher.

Not that I can speak for any of the other DAs...but you may want to look into the Griots, or Megs as well. Or, if you feel like spending some extra money...the Flex.

P&B detail
09-17-2011, 12:19 AM
I think for now I'll go with the 7424xp, it sounds like it's better for a beginner and for a budget.

Gungho_15
09-17-2011, 01:26 AM
I think for now I'll go with the 7424xp, it sounds like it's better for a beginner and for a budget.

I was kind of a beginner when I bought my PC a year or so ago. I wrote on here asking for opinions. Surprise surprise, I am about to but a FLEX. I realize the PC is good, but I kind of wish I just bought the FLEX. Oh well, now I have more tools to use. Just my two cents.

BobbyG
09-17-2011, 06:45 AM
I was kind of a beginner when I bought my PC a year or so ago. I wrote on here asking for opinions. Surprise surprise, I am about to but a FLEX. I realize the PC is good, but I kind of wish I just bought the FLEX. Oh well, now I have more tools to use. Just my two cents.

You'll be glad you have both!

Flex 3401 for paint correction
Porter Cable 7424 for applying sealants and waxes. Ideal for smaller pads for getting into those tight areas..

jwgreen6
09-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Either would be a good choice. I am partial to the Cyclo (US made in Colorado and built like a tank.All it ever needs is a periodic brush replacement and the thing will last for 50 years) Some do complain that it can be awkward in smaller spaces and lack of speed adjustment. However, the 7424XP has variable speeds and is built well. Newer Cyclo polishers have addressed this by finally offering a speed dial. The 7424XP has a vast array of pad choices and sizes to really tailor it to a particular job.

I bought the Cyclo Pro 5 as my first "real" polisher for the same reasons. The adjustable speed is a really nice feature. I had no idea what the Cyclo's VES vibration-less feature, the best of all polishers, was all about until I started using it. There's virtually no vibration with the Cyclo which makes it a joy to use and it didn't take me long to learn how to use it.

If you're young and impetuous and money is an issue, go with the Griot's Garage polisher or Meguiar's polisher (if you can get one--they're out of stock already). Both GG and Meg's are similar in form and function to the PC, but offer more power and cost about the same as the PC.

If buying Made in USA is important to you, then the Cyclo is the only way to go.

If you want something that is a cross between a DA and a rotary polisher and you can handle the vibration and the higher cost, go with the Flex 3401. I tried on once and both arms were quickly numb from the vibration. Make no mistake -- it's a powerful machine. Afterwards I was convinced I made the right choice -- for me -- in buying the Cyclo. If I need more correcting power than what the Cyclo offers, I'll break out my new DeWalt DP849X.

RTexasF
09-17-2011, 08:37 AM
I have a PC7336, a Cyclo, and the new Griots machine purchased in that order. Once I used the Cyclo the PC became a shelf ornament. The Griots is stronger than both and corrects more rapidly. The Flex was beyond my price range but I have used one and consider it superior to the above mentioned buffers. Tough call, but of the three I own the Cyclo would be my choice if I had to choose only one. It is the older model without speed control.

kimtyson
09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
You have to buy twice as many pads for a Cyclo. As already stated, that they are hard to use other than for larger areas. The PC is a great tool, especially for a first time machine user.

eboose7
09-17-2011, 01:12 PM
You'll be glad you have both!

Flex 3401 for paint correction
Porter Cable 7424 for applying sealants and waxes. Ideal for smaller pads for getting into those tight areas..

I now have the Flex XC3401 for paint correction and the Cyclo for applying polish and/or wax and paint sealant. The Cyclo was my first polisher and I found it very easy to control, because it doesn't vibrate as much as some dual action polishers. I brought the Flex later, when I decided that I needed more correction power. I haven't had any experience with the PC 7424XP, so I can't comment on it. But I know you will like the Cyclo.

VISITOR
09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
between the two choices you've listed, go with the pc7424xp. with different size backing plates, and pad choices (you can also use the cyclo brush attachment to clean carpets as well) you'll be able to accomplish more...

P&B detail
09-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Would the flex or the 7424xp be better all around

RTexasF
09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
You have to buy twice as many pads for a Cyclo. As already stated, that they are hard to use other than for larger areas. The PC is a great tool, especially for a first time machine user.

Ridiculous, they are sold in pairs and cost less than PC pads. It is not hard to use, in fact it is one of the easiest to use on the planet. If my only choice was the PC or the Griots it would be the Griots. It simply shames the PC in actual use. Porter Cable needs to get much more serious to catch up with Griot. In truth you couldn't go wrong with any of the polishers mentioned. The Flex is at the top of the heap and the PC is at the bottom. The other two are in between.......that's my rating anyway.

VISITOR
09-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Would the flex or the 7424xp be better all around

every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one traditional style random orbital such as the PC, GG6 or G110v2...