PDA

View Full Version : Washing again after polishing.... ?

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
09-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Do I need to wash the car again after polishing in order to wax/seal the paint ?
I think I might have to do this because of the polish oils....

onlycodered
09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I usually do. Gets any polishing dust off the car and cleans up any polishing oils before putting the LSP on.

BobbyG
09-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Do I need to wash the car again after polishing in order to wax/seal the paint ?
I think I might have to do this because of the polish oils....

Some do and some don't but I think it's a good idea to have the surface clean in order for the sealant to properly bond to the finish without contamination from oils and debris.

Many of today's products are water-based and wash off well with soap and water. There are products available designed for this purpose line Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner.

Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner, prewax paint cleaner, paint prep cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-pre-wax-cleaner.html)

IID
09-16-2011, 07:49 PM
One word for ya DaC:
CarPro Eraser
Believe me,if you purchase it and doesn't work to your liking-let me know and I'll take it off your hands :xyxthumbs:

FussMan
09-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I certainly would too...a perfect step not to skip

FussMan

ps...just building up my post count!

DaC
09-16-2011, 09:09 PM
One word for ya DaC:
CarPro Eraser
Believe me,if you purchase it and doesn't work to your liking-let me know and I'll take it off your hands :xyxthumbs:

Alright then..... :xyxthumbs:

I might place another order this weekend, maybe it could make it to the list... =]

IID
09-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Alright then..... :xyxthumbs:

I might place another order this weekend, maybe it could make it to the list... =]

You got it,good call.
I'm a man of my words if your NOT happy with it,PM me with your info and payment will be on it's way with my shipping info :dblthumb2:

DaC
09-16-2011, 09:46 PM
You got it,good call.
I'm a man of my words if your NOT happy with it,PM me with your info and payment will be on it's way with my shipping info :dblthumb2:

I guess I wouldn't ship it back from Brazil to you.... =]]]]

IID
09-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I guess I wouldn't ship it back from Brazil to you.... =]]]]

I did not see where you were from because you have NO location under your avatar,I assumed you were from USA.
My bad,I guess ya wouldn't lol.

DaC
09-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I did not see where you were from because you have NO location under your avatar,I assumed you were from USA.
My bad,I guess ya wouldn't lol.

LoL! Yeah..... =]

Kristopher1129
09-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I've never washed after polish. After compound? Yes...but polish no. I honestly don't see the point. I guess it depends on whether or not you made a mess when polishing. I tend to polish, and keep things real clean. Although, I do wipe the paint down with alcohol to prep for wax/sealant.

I guess there's a lot of factors that play into whether or not you choose to wash after polish. Did your product dust heavily? Did you make a mess? Splatter?...if your answer is yes to any of those questions, then I'd say wash then. But, keep it clean...and you can move on IMO.

DaC
09-17-2011, 04:44 AM
I've never washed after polish. After compound? Yes...but polish no. I honestly don't see the point. I guess it depends on whether or not you made a mess when polishing. I tend to polish, and keep things real clean. Although, I do wipe the paint down with alcohol to prep for wax/sealant.

I guess there's a lot of factors that play into whether or not you choose to wash after polish. Did your product dust heavily? Did you make a mess? Splatter?...if your answer is yes to any of those questions, then I'd say wash then. But, keep it clean...and you can move on IMO.

Good point! Even because when doing other people cars, the clock sometimes can be a issue....

In my case I'll be working with Meg's Ultimate Compound/Polish and ScratchX 2.0.... But I also have M105/M205 on the way....

But I think I'll take care of most jobs with UP or M205 alone.... 1 step only...

mg6045
09-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I do usually to remove the dust from hard to reach areas, and not really for the purpose of degreasing the paint.

If your interested in just degreasing the paint you can either use a spray and wipe waterless wash, a rinsless wash, or you can use a solvent spray like IPA or some of the newer products from Griots and Carpro.

I usually like to wash the car, than if I'm sealing it with a product that has a matching paint cleaner in the lineup, use that. I feel that using a paint cleaner preps paint better than spray and wipe IPA.

IID
09-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I personally like to check my work after each and every correction step to ensure my polishes/compounds are not hiding/masking any missed area's that still need correcting.
CarPro Eraser does that VERY well without doing a wash down.

Kristopher1129
09-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Good point! Even because when doing other people cars, the clock sometimes can be a issue....

In my case I'll be working with Meg's Ultimate Compound/Polish and ScratchX 2.0.... But I also have M105/M205 on the way....

But I think I'll take care of most jobs with UP or M205 alone.... 1 step only...

I hear that. I'm the same way. I'll typically have 3 "1-steps", and a full correction that will sit around for a couple days so that I have the time to do it correctly. Most daily drives are a 1-step and done. I'd rather do just full corrections...but, most people don't see the point.