PDA

View Full Version : polish choices

mjc189
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I am new to the detailing scene and will buy a PC DA this weekend.I plan on getting flat 5.5" LC pads : 1 Yellow, 1 orange, 2 white and a gray pad. Are red and blue pads needed ? They sound SOOOO similiar to a gray pad!
I will wash then clay with clay magic.

I currently have swirlx and want to remove fine scratches on my car (Desert silver metallic acura). I also have paint transfer I need to remove. I plan on starting with a white pad if that doesn't work can I move up to an orange pad? If I use a gray pad will swirlx function as a finishing polish? b/c I want the car to look like a scratchless mirror. If swirlx can be used as a finishing polish I plan on using wolfgang sealant 3.0 (sample) if not would I be better off to follow up with poorboys PwS. Either way I would wait 12hours then wax on top. (natty's blue or collinite 845- can both be used on rims?)
I also want to do the same to my fiends 96 impala SS but it's black so i'm nervous lol
people talk about applying waxes with a white polishing pad, after these steps wouldn't I use a gray pad since white has minor cut to it? all these steps speed 4/5 on PC 7424xp?

I also plan on using megs apc plus dilluted 10:1 for carpet and dash, 4:1 for engine, rims, and tires. could I use 10:1 as bug and tar remover or dillute more?

I'm on a budget so I can't afford specialized products for everything.

I have been reading like CRAZY and learned a lot. You guys have been SUPER helpful thus far!

embolism
09-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't think you need yellow

get 2 orange, 2 white and 2 black

try a test spot with white pad and swirlX, you may want to get some ultimate polish to use with a black pad if your test spot is not to your liking but on silver, swirls are pretty hard to see without the proper lighting.

I'd go with the WGDGPS. Never tried NB on rims, I'd go 845 for the durability.

Unless you have dedicated black pads, I'd just do the WGDPGS by hand. It's tough getting lsps out of your pads.

Bunky
09-16-2011, 04:52 PM
You really just need a polishing pad (if LC, orange/white) and finishing (if LC, black) when polishing in a two step polish polish. If LC orange is not doing it, you need to change your polish rather than a more aggressive pad.

mjc189
09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
So a black pad with swirl x wouldn't finish up the same as a black pad with ultimate polish? Or would it be simliar to a white pad with UP?

I see that ultimate polish is about equal to M205 which is the same abrassiveness (according to charts on AG) as Poorboys PwS. Can I use Poorboys PwS instead? I been reading and see that UP has "enriching oils". I want something that will last. I hear poorboys pro polish is good and it's on sale so my plan:

My car:
Swirlx (orange or white pad least aggresive method) > PwS (black pad)> hand wax S

Black Impala
Swirlx (orange or white least aggresive method)> Poorboys Pro polish (balck)> WGDGPS(hand or dedicated black pad)> wax on the black impala

Am I on track?

BobbyG
09-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Detailing can be but doesn't need to be expensive and when some forethought is used you'd be surprised how little it takes to make your car look great. Meguiar's and Mothers make some great products that are available at stores like WalMart, PepBoy's, Autozone etc.

Porter Cable 7424xp is a great machine and will provide years of satisfaction.

Pads

(2) Orange
(2) White
(2) Gray

Always start with a lesser aggressive approach and in this case the White pad. If you're seeing progress however very slow switch to the Orange pad.

Swirl X is a very fine over the counter polish. For a more aggressive over the counter compound look at Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Even this is an over the counter product it woks surprisingly well and won't break the bank.

Personally I polish in speed 5.

Gray pads are sort of multi purpose. It's firm enough to take some pressure during fine polishing but also works great for applying sealants and wax.

Wolfgang Paint Sealant has a decent following and like most should be allowed to cure for 12 hours without coming in contact with moisture.

Natty's and Collinite 845 are two fine waxes however Collinite 845 wins hands down in durability.

Black is one of those colors that some call a full time job! :laughing:

mjc189
09-16-2011, 07:55 PM
thanks for the info! you reaffirmed everything I been reading about pad choice and waxes. I'm just trying to make sure I didn't have anything that wouldn't work well together and get the proper pad combination. I understand pad selection depends on paint, but I also understand certain pad choices aren't a good idea with some product. Any sealer that is applied to the paint can be applied to lights and the windshield correct?

FussMan
09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
don't decide tooooooo fast until you check out the Meguires DA Micro-Fiber state of the art system.

Only 2 pads..only 2 products and 7 years+ of research and development..

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System, paint polishing system, car polish, car detailing system, compounding system, remove scratches (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-microfiber-system.html)

good luck

Fussman