PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a vehicle in sections over a couple of days!

modman
09-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I have black Dodge mega cab and am beginning the large job of paint correction on it.:buffing: It is my winter daily driver and my hunting wagon so it really needs the love. Unfortunately I have no garage and because I am a novice and it is such a large vehicle i will not be able to get it finished in one session. Is there a problem with washhing, claying compounding, polishing and sealing a section at a time. I just completed compounding and polishing the hood and front fenders and front bumper. Should I seal it before moving on to the cab? Or would it be better to compound and polish the whole thing over a couple of sessions then rewash, dry and seal with Meguiars 21.

I hope this is not too weird of questions.

Oh, and i am loving my new surbuf pads and Optimum Compound.

timaishu
09-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Thats how I did mine. I did mine in thirds spread across a weeks time.

Mike Phillips
09-16-2011, 02:10 PM
I

Unfortunately I have no garage and because I am a novice and it is such a large vehicle i will not be able to get it finished in one session. Is there a problem with washing, claying compounding, polishing and sealing a section at a time.

No problem at all, in fact I outline this approach in my e-book.

:xyxthumbs:

modman
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
I thought it would be ok I just wanted to make sure. I really trust the expertise on this forum.

Thanks

rfinkle2
09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
If you don't trust Mike Phillips, I wouldn't know who to trust.

modman
09-16-2011, 04:42 PM
well put!

truckbutt
09-16-2011, 04:52 PM
:iagree:with everything said above. I would just add that one way to keep your vehicle in shape when you don't have whole day to do it, is to do a section at a time over a series of weekends or days off. That way every few weeks the whole car is done.

Jenn1270
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I polished mine out over about 2 weeks. Worked great.

modman
09-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I finished the front clip today! It turned out really good but everything else looks really rough in comparison. I am not sure which new product i like more, Optimum compound or Surbuf pads. Oh and/ going from 6.5 to 5.5 inch pads on the PC made a huge difference. My second attempt at paint correction is going much better.:dblthumb2:

greg72982
09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Wouldn't you accumulate dirt/dust particles that will scratch/mar the paint when polishing though??

timaishu
09-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Wouldn't you accumulate dirt/dust particles that will scratch/mar the paint when polishing though??

Wash the panel to be polished.

I left the rest of my car dirty and washed only the parts to be polished. I hated having clean spots on a filthy car buts its really the only convenient way I think.