PDA

View Full Version : searching for the perfect detail brush

whitson01
09-16-2011, 06:41 AM
hey guys. as you can see im new around here. ive always been a fan of detailing cars but just recently started to have an interest of doing it correctly like the pro's do. so i joined autogeek.
ive been trying to build my detail aresnal. i have been looking for a detailing brush that i can use for ANYTHING. detailing interior/exterior, engine bay, wheels, wet/dry, soaked in cleaner or interior dressing etc.... i dont care to spend some money for a quality brush that is efficitive and will last. ive had my eye on the swissvax brush but which one? they have a wheel brush and a interior brush. from what i can tell its the exact same thing. is this so? i also saw a adams detailing brush. its a trim/lug nut brush but is it ok for interior and exterior paint? not to mention its $20! on amazon there is a brand called raceglaze and they have a brush set for $30. looks like a swissvax knockoff. im sure there are many others. so please feel free to give me some opinions and input. thanks!

kimtyson
09-16-2011, 08:19 AM
:welcome: to the forum. I think you will find it hard to use just one brush for everything. For starters, you don't want your wheel crud on the interior. Brushes are specialized because you need a certain size or shape for one application and a different size or shape for another application.

Setec Astronomy
09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
As noted, you really want to segregate some of your cleaning tools, unless you are really going to clean them well (if possible) after using. As kimtyson said, you really don't want to be brushing brake dust into the seams on your leather seats.

It seems to me that people have said good things about the Raceglaze brushes; I haven't used them. Bear in mind that these kind of tools eventually wear out, so they usually aren't a "forever" purchase.

daveinsweethome
09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
raceglaze is a respected company from brittan. their brushes are the equal of swisswax imo. just dont comingle any brush that has been around brakedust like others has said.

whitson01
09-16-2011, 10:00 AM
thanks for the input. with all of this being said i may go with the raceglaze kit for $30 that comes with 5 brushes.

Twister
09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Raceglaze has nice brushes

kimtyson
09-16-2011, 11:06 AM
thanks for the input. with all of this being said i may go with the raceglaze kit for $30 that comes with 5 brushes.

I think that would be a good choice. Good luck.

tw33k2514
09-16-2011, 11:24 AM
As many have already said, there is no one perfect brush. I have 7 brushes right now, and I feel like I still need more. The set you are looking at looks like it would be a great start. Oh, and don't overlook a simple tooth brush.

SeaJay's
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
As everyone has said you are going to need many different types of brushes. I have about 8 or 9 and I too feel I could use some more.

Good tip is to label your brushes handle with a sharpie for what it's used for. This way if you have a couple of the same brush you don't mix them up.