PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

pappasnapple
09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Well I come in as Pappasnapple as that was my name as a Paramedic as the kids called me Grandpa until I kicked their rumps. Had to pick a name and that is what they stuck me with.
Live in San Jose, married to a gal for 32 yrs who loves cars as much as me. Have two sisters with cars also. Its a family affair.
I have 5 cars and am learning to detail and what I thought to be easy is not. There is as many opinions as there are hairs on my head and while those are fewer... there is enough.
My current learning curve is probably the most common:
Mistakes on rags
swirl and scratch removal
which of the products to use (I currently use Zaino and Top Coat)
What to use on aluminum wheels
How to correct glass issues

I have found no one company is the answer but its both frustrating and costly during the learning curve. I must have 30 gallons of stuff around.
Oh and of course tire products.
I have a 55 chevy, 37 ford, 30 ford with matching trailer, 56 Nash metro with toyota running gear, 58 Morris Minor woodie stocker, project car 59 Nash Metro which will have chevy s-10 V-6 in it and a modern club man.

I did get smart and bought a good orbital.

Am trying to compare Griots, Zaino, Klasse and Wolf

I am ready to make all my cars gorgeous. Help

Dan C
09-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Welcome to the forum,looking forward to seeing some pictures of your rides...what orbital did you get?

Dan

DaHen
09-16-2011, 04:27 AM
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum.

I had a fifty-five chevy convertable many years ago.

Setec Astronomy
09-16-2011, 06:31 AM
5 cars?? I counted 7, lol. Welcome to the forum, Pappa.

pappasnapple
09-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Welcome to the forum,looking forward to seeing some pictures of your rides...what orbital did you get?

Dan

I got a porter cable and it seems to work fine. First smart investment in detailing. Its a random I believe the number is 7424

pappasnapple
09-16-2011, 07:17 AM
5 cars?? I counted 7, lol. Welcome to the forum, Pappa.

ssshhhhhh don't tell my wife I can't count

kimtyson
09-16-2011, 08:10 AM
:welcome: to the forum. That's a lotta vehicles. You came to the right place. This is a very friendly, helpful forum. There is so much info here. Good thing the wife likes cars. You two should snuggle up with a laptop and start watching videos and reading all of the great stuff here.

cutter
09-16-2011, 08:45 AM
:welcome: TO AUTOGEEK!!! You have come to the right place to pursue your passion!!

Safaripete
08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi, my name is Peter and I'm a guy with 11 back surgeries since 9/11 ( retired NYPD now living in Central Oregon). I also LOVE to drive a 2004 LIMITED EDITION 6 Series BMW that I picked up about 2 years ago with 10,555 miles on it. Now I have 21000 miles, having just finished an 8 K cross country drive. My boy bought me a PORTER CABLE 7424xl. I hope I can clean up the paint with this machine without re injuring my spine. Since my first BMW in 1986 I've been using ZYMOL Custom waxes. Used these products on Hondas and Toyotas as well. Now, with my terrible back, I really don't know what to use, as Zymol is labor intensive I ordered some pads, bonnets, and clay. Awaiting their arrival. I'm happy to be a part of AUTOGEEK FORUMS....Looking forward to some expert advice.

Getting it done
06-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi, My name is Diana, I am 52 years old and I am a fan of old muscle cars, the 66 Mustang is my dream car. I have two grown children and three grandchildren plus one more due in Aug.
I have always been OCD about my car being clean. In 2007 I had the oportunity to start my own business, I saw an ad on the internet for detailing school and thought that it would be a perfect job. I attended the school and two weeks later I found myself in Las Vegas. I found out real fast that starting a business was not as easy as it seemed. Also being fresh out of Alaska, the Vegas heat kicked my butt. With a lot of pounding the pavement looking for clients we landed a fulltime spot at a highend golf course/country club. We were seeing lots of exotic cars and I quickly realized that there had to be more to detailing, paint could be more perfect, so I went on a mission to find someone to give me more advanced training. I found Renny Doyle and in Feb 2008 I went to Boise to train with Renny. I was confident in my new skills until I got home and then the thought of wet sanding and buffing scared me. I started detailing for a small dealership and there I got to practice without the pressure of what if... My confidence grew and in Aug 2008 Renny invited me to be a part of the Air Force One detailing team. I was so flattered and honored. When I discovered the Flex polisher my life changed. Detailing got faster, easier and the final results got better. I was working on a vehicle at the 2011 SEMA show and I met the people at Mothers. They asked me if I wanted to work with them at Barrett Jackson. I jumped at the opportunity. I learned so much from the crew, it was long hard hours and the cars seemed to be endless. In 2012 I applied to be the detail company for the SEMA show. We won the contract and I applied the knowledge I gained from working the Barrett Jackson circut and we had an awesome, smooth, profitable show. We repeated the contract and did the 2013 SEMA show.
I love what I do. I love to make cars shine, I am no longer nervous about wet sanding, using a rotary or tackeling big projects. Bigger is better in my book, we have detailed everything from bicycles to an 18 wheelers, planes, cranes, construction equip, and earth movers. You will know me when you see me, I am the girl detailer with the pink hair.

Relentless58
07-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi, I am Matt. My wife and I drive a 2008 Saturn Aura and a 2011 Honda Accord. I have been very interested in keeping a clean car since I turned 16 and had my own. Recently I have started to get more serious. I just purchased my DA porter cable yesterday after getting a quote from a few detail shops in town. I figured it was better to learn how to do this work and invest in myself than to hand over my car to a shop that was going to just run it through a standard process. Plus I wanted to add Cquarts and the owner of the shop had never heard of it. He keep spouting that he has been using the same teflon wax for 25 years and has never heard a complaint. So a few hundred dollars in the autogeek shop later I am on my way to learning the trade for myself and getting exactly the results I want. Here is a list of products I have just got or already own. Pelt me know your opinions on what you think.

1 16 oz. Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss
1 1 L CarPro Iron X Iron Remover
1 1 L CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleaner
1 Porter Cable 7424XP & 6.5" CCS Pad Kit (HD)
1 250 ml. CarPro Reflect Polish
1 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover #3
1 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Fine Swirl Remover #2
1 12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover #1
Tar x
C quartz
Mothers California gold showroom instant detailer & clay bars
Nu finish wax
Rain x original window treatment
Meguiars supreme shine hi gloss protectant
Black magic 2-in-1 engine shine

I'm super excited to get my porter cable. I plan on starting with applying wax with just a finishing pad so that I don't risk compromising the paint or burning into it at all. The major thing I am working on is some clay bar marring, minor oxidation, minor swirls, and minor scratches on the honda. I do have the issue of having a few paint chios on my hood. I let them be for a few years and now, after an iron x treatment they are showing rust. I'm not sure how to fix this. An auto body shop quoted $900. WOW!!! Again, I am new to this, so your insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

sproketser
07-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Welcome aboard !