PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

jimbo585
09-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I cant decide between CQuartz and Opti-Coat. I thought I decided on CQuartz but now I don't know. I know these haven't been tested extremely long term but maybe you guys know more about the products and can make an educated guess on what would be better for my purpose.

Main objectives:
1) Protection (which I know I will be satisfied by going with either)
2) Keeping swirls out/ Reducing implementation of swirls
3) Maintaining high gloss shine
4) Easiest care/ won't require much besides a wash and QD

So I guess I need help determining which product will do better at keeping swirls out of the clear coat and will maintain its high gloss the longest by only using a QD (if I went with Opti-Coat) or reload (if I went with CQuartz)

Feed back please

Old Tiger
09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Opti Coat has been around for several years. It is extremely durable. With good wash technique both should hold up well. OC is most durable of the two.

Dr Oldz
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Opti Coat has been around for several years. It is extremely durable. With good wash technique both should hold up well. OC is most durable of the two.

When Jim(OT) speaks, wise men listen!

jimbo585
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I have noticed and have often listened to his advice! :xyxthumbs:

It's good advice and I have been leaning towards OC.

While I do not care as much about 2 yrs vs. permanent because I will not have the car for much more than 2 years anyways, but if OC is more durable, will it protect against wash induced swirls better? Thats one of my biggest concerns because I want to avoid polishing them out as much as possible after the application. My wash technique will be 2 bucket but over time without polishing they are bound to appear so I want the best protection over that.

Also, which one in anyones opinion or experience will retain maximum shine the longest by only applying a QD (or reload) every so often?

Thanks!

Dr Oldz
09-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I can say that I haven't used CQ but I have used OC and I am very pleased with it's performace and ease of clean up!

jimbo585
09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Any one else have opinions- Particularly to which would resist swirls better/ longer? That's my main reason for using this type of product. I read all 38 pages of the OC thread, and know it will acquire swirls and not prevent rock chips, but being my car is black, and I am trying to cut out future paint corrections, I want to use the product that cuts swirls out the most. Thanks!

BobbyG
09-19-2011, 09:40 AM
When Jim(OT) speaks, wise men listen!

Yes they do!!

:urtheman:

jimbo585
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm just confused because OC says it's like another layer of clear coat. But you don't have to polish it? What if no one polished the manufactures clear? it would look horrible! Is it because when it cures it hardens and is more resistant to scratches and swirls vs a manufacture clear coat? "You can use poli seal to enhance its appearance every so often" How often is it needed, if ever?

Dr Oldz
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm just confused because OC says it's like another layer of clear coat. But you don't have to polish it? What if no one polished the manufactures clear? it would look horrible! Is it because when it cures it hardens and is more resistant to scratches and swirls vs a manufacture clear coat? "You can use poli seal to enhance its appearance every so often" How often is it needed, if ever?

Prior to applying OC, the paint has to be in perfect condition(or a condition you are happy with). It is not scratch proof. If over time you do get wash induced swirls then can be polished out with Poli-seal. The thing about OC that most people miss is that while it is said to be permanent, if it requires polishing you are polishing the OC away and not the actual clear. So it is the ultimate sacrifical barrier.

jimbo585
09-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Does OC show swirls the way a manufacture clear coat does or are they less noticeable with OC applied? Is the only benefit to just preserve the manufacture clear coat longer? I don't want to have to polish away swirls. I want to be protected from getting them. Preserving the clear isn't important to me because I wont keep the car long enough for it to deteriorate.

How does nano coating technology compare to this? Maybe CQuartz is what I actually am looking to use...?

Dr Oldz
09-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Does OC show swirls the way a manufacture clear coat does or are they less noticeable with OC applied? Is the only benefit to just preserve the manufacture clear coat longer? I don't want to have to polish away swirls. I want to be protected from getting them. Preserving the clear isn't important to me because I wont keep the car long enough for it to deteriorate.

How does nano coating technology compare to this? Maybe CQuartz is what I actually am looking to use...?

Not sure what you are after then....If you don't keep the car long enough and preserving the clear isn't important, then y even bother putting anything on it? It will help prevent swirls but nothing is swirl proof. If u decide on either product, they will just make the existing swirls more prominant. So I would advise polishing properly b4 using either product.

jimbo585
09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Sorry, I see that what I typed could be misleading. When I say I don't plan on keeping it long- I mean less than 3 more years because it is already 6 months into a lease.

I know nothing is swirl proof sadly :( and my car will be polished and cleaned prior to application of whatever product I choose. The reason I want one of these products is because I spend WAY too much of my free time maintaining a good finish on my black car. It's too much work and I spend so much on products! :nomore: And also while at college it is impossible to care for my car besides washing it.

So I am looking for whatever product will require the LEAST amount of polishing required after the application. CQuartz does not mention anything about needing to polish the paint to remove swirls once it is applied, only Opti-Coat which is why I thought one may be better at preventing them. I don't want to use clays, swirl removers, finishing polishes, glazes, etc... I thought that was the benefit of OC or CQ or am I wrong?

Who finds themselves needing to remove light swirls over time after applying these products?

Maybe Avi or Chris can provide their opinions also.

Thanks!

Dr Oldz
09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I did misunderstand u. Like I said, I have only used OC and I have it on a car that has SS paint and is VERY soft. It has reduced wash induced swirls by 75%. On other vehicles I have it on, I really see no need to polish it again in the time frame you are looking at if proper washing techniques are followed. I hope that helps u and sorry for the misunderstanding.

jimbo585
09-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Not a problem. Thank you! That is incredible and just what I was hoping to hear! I was leaning towards OC after talking with who would be applying it for me anyways. Proper washing technique will be used but I'll keep my extra poli-seal on hand just in case. Thank you for all your input!