PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss and Collinite Question

Pages : [1] 2 3

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi all... Planning on winterizing my new pickup truck. In spring i clayed and polished and protected the paint... My question is this:

I will be washing with Dawn dish soap

then using Duragloss Pre-Cleaner

then applying DG Bonding agent

then applying DG Total Performance Polish

I want to then top everything with Collinite 845...

Since i'm using the bonding agent with the 105, would it be 'ok' to give it 2 hours prior to applying the Collinite? I do not have the ability to store the truck in a garage over night and cannot ensure moisture will not be on the paint over night... so i was thinking i'd try to get all this done in 1 day. Does anyone see any issues with this?

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
That sounds fine...a lot of people are mixing the 601 Polish Bonding Agent with the LSP ("polish"), that may save you some time and give you a little more curing time before you top it with the 845.

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 12:09 PM
yea, i've read that in a vew threads... so it's really applying 2 products with one pass.

I've usually applied the 105 and let it haze and did the 'swipe' test to determine when it was ready to come off... Is there any advantage to leaving the DG on the paint longer as oposed to take it off when the swipe test says it's time?

embolism
09-15-2011, 12:31 PM
mix 1:4
601 and 105
wipe off after swipe test then park in the sun for a couple hours will speed up curing time
move to shade then let it cool off for a couple hours before doing your collinite

that's how I'd do it anyhow...

rwright
09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Are you applying Pre-Cleaner by hand or machine? Are trying to achieve correction with Pre-Cleaner or just want to clean the paint? If you don't need the abrasive action then I say go with DG 501 Marine/RV Polish to deep clean the paint and lay a foundation for 105. If you're looking for light correction then stick with your plan.

I have waited 30, 60, and 90 minutes before removing DG 105 and to be honest it all appeared the same.

Sent using iPhone 6 prototype on 5G Network

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 01:37 PM
my truck is metalic black... very few if any swirls (thanks to the grit guard).

I was using the pre-cleaner mainly as a means to remove any wax the dawn wash didn't, and if there were any swirls maybe it would correct them too...

I will be applying everything by hand, via Polishin' pal with LC Oracle (pre-cleaner), White (601 and 105), and Red (collinite) pads.

So if i'm understanding you correctly, i can use 501 instead of the pre-cleaner IF my paint does not need much correction?

richy
09-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Since you already own the 2 products, mix them at 4:1 as mentioned above. This does 2 things: Flash cures the product to save in application as well as removal. You can go around the car with this mixture and then go around and remove it (assuming it passes swipe test). You can immediately top it with Colli at that point. I agree with above in regards to 501 too. It is unbelievable prior to 105 and Colli. That's the trio I use for my Funeral home cars.

CEE DOG
09-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Are you applying Pre-Cleaner by hand or machine? Are trying to achieve correction with Pre-Cleaner or just want to clean the paint? If you don't need the abrasive action then I say go with DG 501 Marine/RV Polish to deep clean the paint and lay a foundation for 105. If you're looking for light correction then stick with your plan.

I have waited 30, 60, and 90 minutes before removing DG 105 and to be honest it all appeared the same.

Sent using iPhone 6 prototype on 5G Network

Richard just called me and asked me to add the following revision to his quote above. per Richard:

The pre cleaner does contain abrasives.

501 actually contain abrasives as well but also contains protective properties.

All of the abrasives are diminishing abrasives.

Sent using UPhone 7 prototype on 5NG Network

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Richy!

I will be ordering some 501 and some empty dispensing bottles from A.G. today, as i wish to detail my truck next weekend.

As stated above, i have the LC Oracle, White, and Red pads for my polishin' pal... What pad do you recommed i use for the 501?

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks cee dog... so the PC and the 501 have the same amount of correction abilities, but the 501 lays down some protection on the paint. So if i used the 501 instead of the PC, i'd esentially have 3 layers of protection.... ie: 501, 105, 845?

Oh yea, i forgot to mention i usually "final wipe" with Aqua Wax after the 845 has been removed.

CEE DOG
09-15-2011, 01:52 PM
No problem! I don't know that they have the same amount of corrective abilities and abrasives but they do both have abrasives. I just typed what Richard asked. But yes you would have a lot of protection. I don't personally know how much those layers dissolve or bond to the previous layer and build up as I haven't worked with them.

embolism
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
you can mix the 501 with 601 to flash cure it too apparently

I've used just 501 on a white car and it's good stuff. Used it with a white pad (polishing) at speed 5 on a GG6

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 02:04 PM
so i'm assuming another option i have is to mix 501 with 601. Then mix 601 with 105. Then my collinite.?

My pickup is not a daily driver, but in the winter months it gets used a lot for hunting. However, i love the beading and protection, oh and longevity of DG and Collinite!

duck_commander
09-15-2011, 02:37 PM
When you guys are saying to mix 4:1... what type of measurement are you using? I know it's probably a dumb question, but I never did it before.

embolism
09-15-2011, 02:49 PM
for approx 1 time use, put 1/2 -3/4 oz of 601 into a container, then add 4 times the 501 or 601, then shake or mix.

you can mix up more in a dispenser bottle but whatever you don't use will congeal a bit. Richy has said it doesn't really affect the product performance and he just keeps adding more to the same bottle as he needs it.