PDA

View Full Version : Need help or tips! Baked on adhesive! Quick answers please!

SeaJay's
09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok well I'm in the middle of removing the adhesive on a 7x14 trailer. The decals were removed by the owner using a heat gun and the adhesive is really baked on. I've been working on one side for the past 3 and half hours and have gone through 3 cans of tarminator.

Any one have any tips or suggestions that I might be able to try.

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Is it really baked from the heat? Or do you just need to heat it again to soften it up and take it off with a plastic razor?

BobbyG
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Is it really baked from the heat? Or do you just need to heat it again to soften it up and take it off with a plastic razor?

This is a good idea Jason and if you use a solvent afterward be careful how hot it is otherwise it may eat into the paint.

SeaJay's
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I think it's baked on from the heat. I have to run home to get the rest of my tarminator so I will grab my heat gun as well. See if that helps any. I have been using a plastic razor

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2011, 11:44 AM
The 3M adhesive remover is supposed to be very good, I haven't used it. Sometimes with this kind of thing it's all about having the right solvent, and maybe Tarminator isn't it.

SeaJay's
09-15-2011, 12:55 PM
The 3M adhesive remover is supposed to be very good, I haven't used it. Sometimes with this kind of thing it's all about having the right solvent, and maybe Tarminator isn't it.

I actually had some 3m with me and the tarminator worked better.

LegacyGT
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Do you have any Tar X ... after Corey's gum review, I would be interested to see if it works on your adhesive

SeaJay's
09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't have any tar x. I apparently am out of tarminator as well. I had to stop at advanced auto and pick up some 3m. It's actually working ok now just a lot of elbow grease. The 3m definitely softens the paint which I believe is single stage. So I'm being extra careful and not using the plastic razor after putting a small gouge in the paint.

Slow and steady...

sahrcar
09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
What about letting the solvent sit for a few minutes then using a steam cleaner? I've done this several times as it turns the adhesive residue into a gummy substance which can then be scraped with the plastic razor blade or rubbed off with a terry cloth.

Jimmie
09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
PCL Bug and Tar.
The guy at the paint shop said he thought it worked better than a leading adhesive remover. I can attest to the fact it worked well. You get a terry cloth rag damp ( not wringing wet). Then use the abrasiveness of the terry cloth to rub.
The stuff smells and has the consistency of Goof Off so don't let the bug and tar label throw you. Worst case you may have to get a 3M Eraser wheel for use on a drill. The combo of the two will take it off.

opie_7afe
09-15-2011, 04:52 PM
go to walmart and get this product called de-solv-it, it is located in the all purpose cleaner aisle top shelf and works really good on tar and adhesive, or you can try goo gone gel...good luck

SeaJay's
09-16-2011, 06:57 AM
The 3m adhesive remover worked well on all the other sides. I think the side I started on was where he started to take the decals off. It seems he baked the adhesive a little too much. But I eventually got all the adhesive off. It was a very long day and I didnt even finish. I have to go back on Tuesday. I way under estimated this job too. So I'm probably going to loose money on I once it's all said and done. Oh well live and learn.

kimtyson
09-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear that. The good news is you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. See if this customer has any referals for you. He may try harder knowing you lost money on his job. Good luck.

I Shine
09-16-2011, 01:26 PM
I have had good luck using WD-40.

SeaJay's
09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Sorry to hear that. The good news is you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. See if this customer has any referals for you. He may try harder knowing you lost money on his job. Good luck.

Hopefully he does give me a few referrals. That would make this easier to swallow. Oh well though. Learning experience.