PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars product question

Pages : [1] 2

BlueGenCoupe
09-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Just to let everyone know, I polish a few times a year, and the products im looking for are a scratch/swirl remover, polish and possibly a sealant. so today
I went to my local NAPA and purchased some meguiars polishes. I purchased the Professional show car glaze 7, Speed glaze 80, swirl remover 9, heavey cut cleaner 4 and fine cut cleaner2.

I was looking in the meguiars section and They dont have the heavy cut cleaner. the one I purchased, is it a discontinued product?

Also with the products I bought are these items good for what I want to do? Should I get something else?

1 last question, is the speed glaze and show car glaze the same thing?Feed back pleaseFeed back please

Thanks in advance. looking forward to listening to your suggestions

bigbadbp7
09-15-2011, 12:02 AM
The speed glaze has abrasives in it. The show care number 7 does not. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

C. Charles Hahn
09-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Just to let everyone know, I polish a few times a year, and the products im looking for are a scratch/swirl remover, polish and possibly a sealant. so today
I went to my local NAPA and purchased some meguiars polishes. I purchased the Professional show car glaze 7, Speed glaze 80, swirl remover 9, heavey cut cleaner 4 and fine cut cleaner2.

I was looking in the meguiars section and They dont have the heavy cut cleaner. the one I purchased, is it a discontinued product?

Also with the products I bought are these items good for what I want to do? Should I get something else?

1 last question, is the speed glaze and show car glaze the same thing?Feed back pleaseFeed back please

Thanks in advance. looking forward to listening to your suggestions

1) M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner and M02 Fine Cut Cleaner are both very old-school "rocks in a bottle" abrasive compounds which are to be used via rotary only (and they won't finish down as well as some of the more modern abrasive technologies without a lot of skill and finesse).

2) M80 Speed Glaze is a Diminishing Abrasive (DAT) polish which is a medium grade polish; it also contains a fresh paint safe sealant.

3) M09 Swirl Remover is a very very mild Diminishing Abrasive polish, generally it is most effective when only shallow marring is present on the surface to be corrected.

4) M07 Show Car Glaze is a "pure polish" which contains oils to enrich paint surfaces (this is mostly relevant to single stage finishes), but no abrasives whatsoever. The application media is the only source of cut when using M07. It is NOT the same as M80 Speed Glaze.

As for whether or not these products will be useful for your situation, it depends on what you're working on, what condition it's in, what polisher(s) you have, and so on.

BlueGenCoupe
09-15-2011, 06:51 AM
1) M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner and M02 Fine Cut Cleaner are both very old-school "rocks in a bottle" abrasive compounds which are to be used via rotary only (and they won't finish down as well as some of the more modern abrasive technologies without a lot of skill and finesse).

2) M80 Speed Glaze is a Diminishing Abrasive (DAT) polish which is a medium grade polish; it also contains a fresh paint safe sealant.

3) M09 Swirl Remover is a very very mild Diminishing Abrasive polish, generally it is most effective when only shallow marring is present on the surface to be corrected.

4) M07 Show Car Glaze is a "pure polish" which contains oils to enrich paint surfaces (this is mostly relevant to single stage finishes), but no abrasives whatsoever. The application media is the only source of cut when using M07. It is NOT the same as M80 Speed Glaze.

As for whether or not these products will be useful for your situation, it depends on what you're working on, what condition it's in, what polisher(s) you have, and so on.

I'm working on a 2010 Hyundai genesis with light swirls and scratches. Can you suggest a meguiars or 3m products to use?

shoeless89
09-15-2011, 07:12 AM
Meguiar's #105 and 205

Tom Weed
09-15-2011, 07:34 AM
:iagree::iagree:
Meguiar's #105 and 205

If it's black, you may need finishing polish after 205 or very good technique with a finishing pad.

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Hey Shiny, I have a really old bottle of M02 which is labeled for hand application (great stuff back then for paint transfers, plenty of solvent). Then they changed it to rotary only, but I thought it then got changed back a few years ago to a hand/DA product? I remember Mike Phillips talking about this on MOL.

BlueGenCoupe
09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Meguiar's #105 and 205

So all the other polishes I can bring back?

:iagree::iagree:

If it's black, you may need finishing polish after 205 or very good technique with a finishing pad.

My car is blue

shoeless89
09-15-2011, 09:36 AM
So all the other polishes I can bring back?

I guess it depends on your budget. I have like 4 different products for each category but I like having options and love trying new products.

105/205 can tackle almost any project, they are my go-to compound and polish. Personally I've never NEEDED to use a fine finishing polish after 205. It has always finished down very well for me. But you can add a finer polish like Menzerna P085RD for that final touch.

And BTW, if you put a glaze under a sealant it will destroy the durability.

dtuna42
09-15-2011, 11:33 AM
+1 on the M105/M205, especially for those of us in the lower skill brackets because they are pretty easy to use. But some things that may be even better for you to use by hand, along with being cheaper and even easier to find OTC, would be Ultimate Compound and/or Swirl-X....

BlueGenCoupe
09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I guess it depends on your budget. I have like 4 different products for each category but I like having options and love trying new products.

105/205 can tackle almost any project, they are my go-to compound and polish. Personally I've never NEEDED to use a fine finishing polish after 205. It has always finished down very well for me. But you can add a finer polish like Menzerna P085RD for that final touch.

And BTW, if you put a glaze under a sealant it will destroy the durability.

Awesome info thanks. Now to my next question....I bought these wool pads The Edge 2000 PLUS 8 Inch Wool Buffing Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/edge-8inch-wool-pads.html) and these foam pads Lake Country 7.5 Inch CCS Pads- 6 PACK (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack2.html). now when applying 105 and using the wool pads, I can start off with the Black Heavy cutting pad, or should I start with the least aggressive(medium or Light)? I've never used wool so I dont know what there cutting abilities are like. Then for 205 I would use the blue finishing? The white was is discontinued.

With the foam pad using M105 which pad should I use(I dont think I got the Yellow, not sure which ones I chose)? and for 205?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time using these products. The other products I use are so simple to use, there dummie proof.

dad07
09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Awesome info thanks. Now to my next question....I bought these wool pads The Edge 2000 PLUS 8 Inch Wool Buffing Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/edge-8inch-wool-pads.html) and these foam pads Lake Country 7.5 Inch CCS Pads- 6 PACK (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack2.html). now when applying 105 and using the wool pads, I can start off with the Black Heavy cutting pad, or should I start with the least aggressive(medium or Light)? I've never used wool so I dont know what there cutting abilities are like. Then for 205 I would use the blue finishing? The white was is discontinued.

With the foam pad using M105 which pad should I use(I dont think I got the Yellow, not sure which ones I chose)? and for 205?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time using these products. The other products I use are so simple to use, there dummie proof.

What kind of polisher ( machine) are you using?

budinsc
09-15-2011, 04:57 PM
another avenue and the one that has worked so well for me is mex sip on a yellow lc pad followed by ultima sealant. fabulous results with not much effort.

hope this helps.

budinsc

BlueGenCoupe
09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
What kind of polisher ( machine) are you using?
Mkaita rotary.

another avenue and the one that has worked so well for me is mex sip on a yellow lc pad followed by ultima sealant. fabulous results with not much effort.

hope this helps.

budinsc

Sorry, mex sip?

C. Charles Hahn
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Hey Shiny, I have a really old bottle of M02 which is labeled for hand application (great stuff back then for paint transfers, plenty of solvent). Then they changed it to rotary only, but I thought it then got changed back a few years ago to a hand/DA product? I remember Mike Phillips talking about this on MOL.

Hmm... that could be, I'm not sure. All I can say for certain is that the bottle of M02 sitting on my shelf says rotary only. :dunno: