PDA

View Full Version : Tornado - yay or nay?!?!?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bates Detailing
09-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Alright guys - Ive never used a tornado, Im still using brushes, cue-tips, etc.
Is it really worth it?!?!?!
How is it on HEAVILY soiled surfaces?
What are the goods and the bads?!?!?
Is my VX5000 equivalent, better, or sub par compared to the tornado?!?!?

Thanks in advance guys.

slickooz
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm sure Kris will shine in, he swears by this product.

john b
09-14-2011, 11:39 PM
how big is your compressor that you have?

ALLN1WASH
09-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Ive had two of them for about two years now and couldn't be more happy with their abilities. I use them day in and day out for exactly what your asking about, HEAVILY SOILED AREAS. I also like them because of their blowing ability, so really, your able to get the majority of your interior cleaning done with one tool and a microfiber.

Get One.

Kristopher1129
09-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Buy one. If you dont like it....ill buy it off you for full price and pay my own shipping. You'll get hooked on it fast. I just use both of mine for dressing. Wont catch me without one....thats for damn sure, ha.

I dont typically use them for heavily soiled areas. I like them as a final dressing tool. BUT, I can't even begin to count how many random uses I've come across for them...theyre officially a necessity for me.

I think in no way a Tornador will replace, or make your steamer redundant. They're totally different IMO.

Bates Detailing
09-15-2011, 01:03 AM
how big is your compressor that you have?

Dont have one yet - Im guessing that is needed then?!?!

Ive had two of them for about two years now and couldn't be more happy with their abilities. I use them day in and day out for exactly what your asking about, HEAVILY SOILED AREAS. I also like them because of their blowing ability, so really, your able to get the majority of your interior cleaning done with one tool and a microfiber.

Get One.

Buy one. If you dont like it....ill buy it off you for full price and pay my own shipping. You'll get hooked on it fast. I just use both of mine for dressing. Wont catch me without one....thats for damn sure, ha.

I dont typically use them for heavily soiled areas. I like them as a final dressing tool. BUT, I can't even begin to count how many random uses I've come across for them...theyre officially a necessity for me.

I think in no way a Tornador will replace, or make your steamer redundant. They're totally different IMO.

Sounds like you guys love it. Did you see a huge time savings when using it the first times?!?!?

SeaJay's
09-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I have a tornador but my little compressor isn't enough to run it. If I recall it recommends at 5.2cfm at 90psi to run it properly. Being mobile don't know how much room you would have for a decent size compressor. This has been why I haven't bought the bullet and purchased one yet. I just don't have the room to carry it around with me.

fredcandetail
09-15-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm with Kris on this one GO FOR IT! it works Great and most of all when customers peek in on my and see me using a specialized tool they are blown away and remember why they hired the pro with the right bag of tools.
Now Kris ... Dressing??? Tell me more about this? Like putting HD in it and dressing tires and dash?

wildjyoung
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
+1

This tool has made detailing faster with better results. I was skeptical at first but due to recommendations went for it and have not looked back.

Bates Detailing
09-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I have a tornador but my little compressor isn't enough to run it. If I recall it recommends at 5.2cfm at 90psi to run it properly. Being mobile don't know how much room you would have for a decent size compressor. This has been why I haven't bought the bullet and purchased one yet. I just don't have the room to carry it around with me.

I can definitely see that being an issue -

I'm with Kris on this one GO FOR IT! it works Great and most of all when customers peek in on my and see me using a specialized tool they are blown away and remember why they hired the pro with the right bag of tools.
Now Kris ... Dressing??? Tell me more about this? Like putting HD in it and dressing tires and dash?

+1

This tool has made detailing faster with better results. I was skeptical at first but due to recommendations went for it and have not looked back.

I may have to try it out for the shop - depending on the cost of the compressor.

Kristopher1129
09-15-2011, 10:53 AM

I use a dressing from Malco called Appeal dressing. It's just a white water based dressing. I've used that stuff for years and love it. It comes in a 1 gal jug, and I dilute it 1:5. Makes 5 gallons!

So basically I just use the 5 gal dispenser to fill up my little Tornador canister, and I'm off. I do all the cleaning before hand, then just use the Tornador to dress.

I used to use it as a cleaning tool at first (cause that's how it's advertised) but I just find it more useful for dressing. Although, I do still clean up quite a few things by just using the dressing. So for me, it's kind of the best of both worlds.

To B & B: I didn't notice a significant difference in time until I got a little more used to using it. Once you get used to it...you'll be flying through vinyl. There is a bit of a learning curve IMO. Once you know exactly how you're comfortable using it...it becomes a necessity very quick.

There's also a lot of uses even without the solution. I use it to break up stains. I'll spray a little degreaser, flip the Tornador to air, and beat the stain up. Then the extractor will pull it right up...or sometimes you can just wipe it up. I also use it to fluff mats or carpet. If I get something that needs crevice leaning like a cupholder or something, and I have my canister filled with dressing...I just spray a little APC, wipe the excess...then flip the Tornador to air, and blast the cupholder with a towel covering it to prevent splatter. It really is endless, ha.

embolism
09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
how about electronics?

read a post on here about liquid getting behind the LCD screen on a lexus (I think the model is prone to it) and the guy wanted a new radio...

maluminas
09-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I for one would be scared to death to spray anything inside the car, for 2 reasons:

1- infiltrations in places you dont want it, it could damage electronics.

2- overspray on the interior glass, which you will have a hell of a time cleaning afterwards... And its not because youre spraying cleaners that you can assume they will be easy to clean off the glass.

So ill keep my brushes.

wildjyoung
09-15-2011, 11:19 AM
I for one would be scared to death to spray anything inside the car, for 2 reasons:

1- infiltrations in places you dont want it, it could damage electronics.

2- overspray on the interior glass, which you will have a hell of a time cleaning afterwards... And its not because youre spraying cleaners that you can assume they will be easy to clean off the glass.

So ill keep my brushes.

I can understand your concerns and shared them before I bought one. However, once you use it you will quickly realize it is fine.

The amount of liquid used in really small and is actually more of a vapor.

I do not spray it close to electronics. I just use plain air to aid with dust.

To date, I have not had to clean windows after using it in a car beyond a quick wipe with a microfiber. I typically keep all doors open and the mist is a moot issue.

Kristopher1129
09-15-2011, 11:45 AM
how about electronics?

read a post on here about liquid getting behind the LCD screen on a lexus (I think the model is prone to it) and the guy wanted a new radio...

Electronics have never been an issue. I just simply spray at a distance, or avoid them all together if it makes you feel better. The mist is so fine...there's no way it will harm electronics. I can see if you sat there intentionally blasting the hell out of a stereo...but nobody would do that. The windows are not an issue. That's why I do windows last. Obviously it depends what you put in your Tornador. All I know is...I get very little on the window, and it's never been an issue.

I use the Tornadors on about 4-5 vehicles a day, and have NEVER had an electronic issue. Something a lot of people don't understand...is that this doesn't necessarily replace brushes. The Tornador makes vinyl simple. That's all. It doesn't mean you can throw out your brushes, cause there will still be times when you have to agitate.

It's like anything else...there will always be people out there against, or making arguments against a product, or tool. Then, they use it...and the story changes.

I was the same way with a DA...didn't think it would be useful. Now, it use it pretty much everyday.