PDA

View Full Version : Megs MF question

Pages : [1] 2

Sunshyne
09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
I finally got the Meg's MF system and have a question

After the initial D300 run as the compound stage, whats an alternative to a polish besides the D301?

I have 105/205 as well if that helps

thanks for your input

Rsurfer
09-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I finally got the Meg's MF system and have a question

After the initial D300 run as the compound stage, whats an alternative to a polish besides the D301?

I have 105/205 as well if that helps

thanks for your input

You can use the 205 with a foam pad to finish down.

Harleyguy
09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
205 works fine as Ron mentioned why not try the D301 ?

storm100
09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
205 works fine as Ron mentioned why not try the D301 ?

:whs:

skipper1
09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I found that after using the mf pad with d300, I polished with m205 and a foam pad and came out great. Give that a try.

tommythecat
09-14-2011, 09:40 PM
I just did my car for the first time with the MF system. I used the D301 and I am really happy with the results. I will get a write up done as soon as I get the pics off my phone and camera. :xyxthumbs:

Rav777
09-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I also use the D300 compound, but I do a final polish it with the new Optimum Polish II and a foam pad. So far awesome results.

silverfox
09-15-2011, 04:09 AM
There must be a million threads on guys buying the MF correction system and then taking a pass on the D301 part of the combo. Either Megs has geniuses working in their marketing department (getting folks to buy products they won't actually use) or this whole fear or lack of love for D301 is needless and needs some serious rebuttal from both Megs and detailers alike. I can't think of such a revolutionary, game changing product as is the MF correction system combo (after many years of testing before being released) ...that is being rejected as much as the D301 product seems to be experiencing. The fear seems to be around the carnuba and fillers it lays down which I find ridiculous because most guys lay down carnuba on top of their sealant of choice anyway.

Flannigan
09-15-2011, 06:58 AM
I was under the impression that the "fear" related to the MF finishing pad not being able to finish down well on all paints.

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I was under the impression that the "fear" related to the MF finishing pad not being able to finish down well on all paints.

I thought it was the fact that the D301 is an AIO, and for the people here, if they are doing a multi-step polish, they don't really want to finish with an AIO, they want to use a finishing polish and then their LSP of choice (perhaps having to do with having spent the time doing a multi-step, they want to use their best LSP, or at least a dedicated one).

jfelbab
09-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I have used the 300/301 on both factory and repaints with excellent results. I can't speak to the longevity or durability of 301 as a LSP as I have so far always applied various products over it with no issues. I've used M21 V2, NXT V2, UW, GC paste, #26 and #16. All look good and have held up for a couple months so far.

As a finishing polish, 301 does a great job with the MF pad. I'm tempted to let it go and see just how well and how long the 301 protects. Anyone done this yet and can offer their observations?

silverfox
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Its true that some really soft, finicky paints "perhaps" will leave a haze when finishing down with MF finishing disc...but its seems odd to me that this reason is what's driving the fear factor. We are talking a very, very small % of paint types that would experience this. Many guys are using the MF finishing pads, but using products other than D301, (or they stop after D300/cutting pad step, and go right to an LSP other than D301)...so I'm not convinced the MF finishing pads as being the primary reason.

I just don't get the overwhelming tendency... to just skip the D301/MF finishing step altogether (especially from those who have never even tried it), and substitute it with something else...but its obvious that is what's going on for a vast majority of those considering buying the MF correction system.

Belair
09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
...I just don't get the overwhelming tendency... to just skip the D301/MF finishing step altogether (especially from those who have never even tried it), and substitute it with something else...but its obvious that is what's going on for a vast majority of those considering buying the MF correction system.

I agree John. I bought the MF system & after reading many more posts about it I'm confused about whether D301 is really all that's needed to complete the job. Seems like the more 'OCD' folks want to tinker with the system, changing this & adding that but I'm not sure what the purposes nor the end results are, that part is always missing from the comments. And maybe OCD isn't the right term, it may be more ADD (attention deficit disorder), no offense intended. (For those to whom this may apply, please don't start a flame war, I'm entitled to my opinion too.) I've never seen a comparative review between the MF system as it was designed and another approach that takes bits and pieces from here and there.

Sunshyne
09-15-2011, 12:12 PM
good points guys, I plan on the 301 but wanted to hear what alternatives were available.

After the 301 can I use a topper like 845, Fuzion etc?

Setec Astronomy
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Again, I think the disconnect is that Meg's designed the system for the same people that traditionally use AIO's like #66, etc., which is dealers and car wash detailers.

Generally on these types of forums, AIO's are frowned upon as being a compromise, and not having the best characteristics of either a finishing polish nor an LSP. Hence the desire to use the "compound" part of the system but not the "AIO" part of the system.

To me it's just a matter of target market, etc.