PDA

View Full Version : Neglected stainless exhaust

Pages : [1] 2

mjc189
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
I have seen a couple DIYs out there and they show different grits of sandpaper/ steel wool. The exhausts are not as bad as the attached pics. I have tried mother mag and aliminum polish in the past and it didn't really work. I also read steel wool could make it worse/rust?

I plan on using an apc or brake cleaner let it soak, whatever grits are recommended then polish with the mothers.

thanks in advance

weavers
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I would use steel wool #0000. That should clean it up pretty well and maybe polish with never dull. you could also try some compound and a terry cloth towel too.

I find that apc will clean stuff of it exhaust tips but they still look dirty. steel wool does it for me. I also wax the tips afterwards. i dunno if the wax just burns off, but it seems to help a bit next time cleaning it up. the next time typically car soap and a rag will clean it.

TLMitchell
09-15-2011, 06:20 AM
I have seen a couple DIYs out there and they show different grits of sandpaper/ steel wool. The exhausts are not as bad as the attached pics. I have tried mother mag and aliminum polish in the past and it didn't really work. I also read steel wool could make it worse/rust?

I plan on using an apc or brake cleaner let it soak, whatever grits are recommended then polish with the mothers.

Brillo/SOS, the soap acts as a lubricant as well as a stout cleaner. Poliah when clean.

TL

Klink10
09-15-2011, 06:28 AM
My pipe looked something like that once. I used one of those green scratchy pads and some Mothers polish. Cleaned it right up and made it shine. Followed with a coat of NXT. Bear in mind it was the pipe that joined my axleback at the point where it could be seen through the spokes in the rims. As time permitted I finished it all the way to the header.

Flannigan
09-15-2011, 06:31 AM
0000 Steel wool and your favorite metal polish (I like Collinite Metal Wax since it protects as well). If after the steel wool you aren't happy do another round with a terry towel, and you can even do one with an MF towel after that to refine it some more.

shoeless89
09-15-2011, 07:05 AM
I would use 0000 steel wool and use either Optimum Metal Polish or Collinite Metal Wax

kimtyson
09-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I had that exact look on my tail. Used 0000 steel wool (got it at Lowes or Home Depot, I forget which) with APC as lubricant. Don't let APC dry out. Then polished and waxed with what I had laying around. Pretty sure I used Col 845. No stratches and it looks new again. It's been easy to clean since. I'd be afraid that anything else may scratch it. Always try a test spot.

ScottB
09-15-2011, 10:10 AM
P21S Polishing soap or steel wool (quad zero) with a good metal polish.

mjc189
09-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the responses! I will be sure to pick up some 0000 steel wool. I never knew you could put any wax on metal Im the MAN

FUNX650
09-15-2011, 11:09 AM

thanks in advance

First highlighted:
IMHO...Yes. Due to the metallurgical differences between steel and stainless steel. (Things like passivation characteristics, chromium and iron oxides, flash rust, galling, pitting, among others.)

If you're going to use a 'steel-wool-type' product, then use either: synthetic-'steel-wool' or stainless steel-'steel-wool'.

Second hightlighed:
I personally wouldn't use brake cleaner....instead I opt for either of these P21S products: P21S TAW, or, as killrwheels suggested, P21S Polishing Soap...both being citrus acid based which will help remove/neutralize most iron oxides[rust causing] that may be present. (Other citrus-based cleaning products may suffice as well.)

Third highlighted:
The "green grit" is recommended for SS.

I like Simichrome Polish over most other polishes for SS.

:)

Bob

dtuna42
09-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I always used Never Dull on my Harley pipes; easy to use & really good results.

mjc189
09-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Bob- I don't understand green grit. green scotch brite pads? or will the proper grit 2000, 2500 be green? lol

FUNX650
09-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Bob- I don't understand green grit. green scotch brite pads? or will the proper grit 2000, 2500 be green? lol

Even though rouge means red in French, rouge is also denoted for other abrasives "colors" used in metalworking.
"Green grit" equals green rouge.
Green rouge is for stainless steel.

:)

Bob

mjc189
12-03-2011, 09:35 PM
It's been a while but I finally got time to clean my exhaust. I used megs apc+ 4:1 and a very fine synthetic steel wool pad. I then polished with a terry cloth and the mothers polish and it came out great except for a what looks like an embedded rust spot circled in the pic( it's very smooth just discolored maybe a combo of body oils and heat ?) The only other complaint I have is the mothers leaves fine scratches when I use it with terry cloth or MF(this happened on my motorcycle also when no steel wool was used). Do I need to apply it with real steel wool to avoid scratches?

mjc189
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
is there any way to get this "rust" spot out? and will 0000 steel wool remove these scratches ? thanks