PDA

View Full Version : Tears In My Clearcoat?

BlantonDetail
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
My car may not be the nicest, prettiest, or greatest car ever, but it's still my car. It's a 99 Lumina with a Pewter Metallic paint. On the hood it looks like there are actual little tears (like rip-tears, not crying tears) in the clearcoat, and the paint chipped under that.
Is that actually what I'm seeing, and is there anyway to fix it other than just touching up the paint? There's some really small rust spots in some of the paint around the car, and a buddy is going to help me with replacing those places in the body. But I'm not sure about the hood. It doesn't look like there's much to work with. I'm pretty new to things more than regular detailing and wax jobs and I've yet to purchase a DA. I just want my car to be as nice as it can be, for what it is.
Advice or suggestions?

Thanks!!

rider9195
09-14-2011, 02:51 PM
:Picture:

BlantonDetail
09-14-2011, 02:56 PM
:Picture:

Hello! Yeah, when I get home tonight I'll take some from my wife's cell phone and put 'em up on here. I forgot to say that..
I don't have a way to until I'm off work tonight which should be in about 2 1/2 hours, if anybody wants to countdown!

BlantonDetail
09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Ok, it got kinda late on me, and it's also dreary and rainy, but here are two samples of this issue on my hood.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9225&stc=1&d=1316042947

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9226&stc=1&d=1316042947

Flash Gordon
09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I would either have it repainted or apply touchup paint and learn to live with it

Kristopher1129
09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
It's hard to tell, but it almost looks like your paint has been burnt. In the second picture it seems like you can actually see the layers. It looks like the very middle went down to paint, and the darker part surrounding the middle is clear coat.

I don't know...just a guess.

BlantonDetail
09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Is there some sort of clear coat touch-up, where I could put some touch-up paint on first, then a coat of something clear? Or would that be totally unnecessary?
I just want it to look smooth and natural.

It was a loaner car at the dealership I work at, and they sold it to me pretty cheap because I just really needed something at the moment.

I clayed this sucker for the first time today, and parts of it felt like I was claying pavement! I have some work ahead of me on this, but at least the paint is fairly idiot proof and scratches barely show up on it unless they're deep. I think it's going to be a good car for me to learn some things on.

Thanks!
Tony

dougaross
09-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Is there some sort of clear coat touch-up, where I could put some touch-up paint on first, then a coat of something clear? Or would that be totally unnecessary?
I just want it to look smooth and natural.

It was a loaner car at the dealership I work at, and they sold it to me pretty cheap because I just really needed something at the moment.

I clayed this sucker for the first time today, and parts of it felt like I was claying pavement! I have some work ahead of me on this, but at least the paint is fairly idiot proof and scratches barely show up on it unless they're deep. I think it's going to be a good car for me to learn some things on.

Thanks!
Tony
Yes you can get touch-up and clear
google paint scratch repair

Kristopher1129
09-14-2011, 10:45 PM
You can touch it up all you want...I really don't think you'll every be happy with the results. If both spots are on the hood, you could always re-paint the hood. Just an option.

Silverstone
09-15-2011, 02:43 AM
You can get clear coat online or from the Chevy dealer.

I had one spot like that next to the corner of the tail light on the quarter panel and brushed on some clear to keep it from spreading. It doesn't look that bad at all but it's in a less conspicuous place.

The hood repaint is good advice also.