PDA

View Full Version : Paint durability test?

dmband
09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey guys I just bought my 2005 ford expedition and was looking at it the other day and noticed something on the running boards so I looked and got down and looked and saw that the panels that run along both sides of the car along the running boards are completely rusting and dripping rust and have huge bubbling. I went online at this point and started research and found that there are MAJOR paint problems with this car and other fords because they are defective jobs. The major major issues are bubbling under the hood which I also have and bubbling under the liftgate which I believe I have very tiny ones starting. I also have some paint coming off on the roof as well. I know the car is a 2005 but ONLY has 42,000 miles on it!! It seems as though the ONLY way Ford will do anything at all is to go to small claims. There is a TSB released by Ford on the hood issues and liftgate issue that requires the paint be stripped down to the base to be fixed although they still don't cover that issue or any other paint issues unless you can put your finger through a rusted hole so regardless of warranty no coverage at all. There is a facebook page specifically for these issues and for a guide to sue Ford. If anyone has a Expedition please check under your hood and liftgate! The FB page tells me I need a paint durability test so I can prove that my paint job left factory with less then specifications but nobody knows what this test is so if anyone knows of this any info would be great!

FUNX650
09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey guys I just bought my 2005 ford expedition and was looking at it the other day and noticed something on the running boards so I looked and got down and looked and saw that the panels that run along both sides of the car along the running boards are completely rusting and dripping rust and have huge bubbling. I went online at this point and started research and found that there are MAJOR paint problems with this car and other fords because they are defective jobs. The major major issues are bubbling under the hood which I also have and bubbling under the liftgate which I believe I have very tiny ones starting. I also have some paint coming off on the roof as well. I know the car is a 2005 but ONLY has 42,000 miles on it!! It seems as though the ONLY way Ford will do anything at all is to go to small claims. There is a TSB released by Ford on the hood issues and liftgate issue that requires the paint be stripped down to the base to be fixed although they still don't cover that issue or any other paint issues unless you can put your finger through a rusted hole so regardless of warranty no coverage at all. There is a facebook page specifically for these issues and for a guide to sue Ford. If anyone has a Expedition please check under your hood and liftgate! The FB page tells me I need a paint durability test so I can prove that my paint job left factory with less then specifications but nobody knows what this test is so if anyone knows of this any info would be great!

This may or may not be of much assistance, but each OEM has approved 'independent' testing procedures as outlined and authorized by the likes of the SAE, ASTM, DIN, and of course, Ford's own set of protocols 'overseen by these organizations'.

What testing labs that are used for such tests would be of great benefit...My guess that info will be hard to come by. Perhaps googling "What is Ford's paint durability test" might be helpful. That, or ante up and join in on the Class Action Lawsuit, if there is one.

Too bad you didn't notice these "blemishes" before your purchase. :(

Bob

dmband
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that info i will check it out. Yea I bummed that I didn't notice before we bought I would have never noticed really unless it hadn't dripped on the running boards. There was a class action suit I believe in Texas the FB page says but it got thrown out and Ford got away on a technicality :-(( people have had success in small claims though because Ford simply has defense for the problem so people win.

buddhadog
09-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Yep , seen that rust on Ford explorers also.Im sorry you got burned!

D_Nyholm
09-14-2011, 11:07 AM
You should also check out the warranty on the car. I believe on one of my cars it has a 10 year corrosion warranty. I did just check on Fords site and they have a 5 year unlimited mile corrosion warranty on the 2011's, so I doubt the 2005 was any different :(