PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 476/915 Liquid?

ArkayoDeetayo
09-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Hey, Collinite says that their 845 works the same, no matter what form, thick chunky peanut butterish or watery, so that got me thinking, is it possible to melt the 476/915's out of their tin can (warm or hot water around it) to get it in a liquid form and put it in a bottle for easier application? (rather than using something to scoop it out, rub it on the buffing pad, etc).

Anyone tried this or have any feedback why it isn't going to work?

BobbyG
09-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Collinite 845 is formulated to be a creamy consistency for ease of application whether automotive or as an insulator wax. This product is easily applied manually with a foam applicator or with a machine polisher. I apply it with my Porter cable 7424 dual action polisher.

Collinite 476 & 915 are designed to be more a traditional paste wax meant to be applied with a foam or microfiber pad.

Heat will will soften and liquify both Collinite 476 & 915 however as soon as its temperature begins to return to ambient temperature it will start to solidify and become thicker until it reaches it's original state. Unless you're able to work with this product at it's melting point you're pretty much stuck with it as it's produced..

FUNX650
09-13-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm with BobbyG on this one...you gotta be pretty daggone quick to take a hot liquid, procured from heating a paste wax to its melting point; and then pour this now hot, hot, hot liquidized paste wax it into an applicator bottle for "ease of use" before it starts to cool off, and congeal in the applicator bottle. What would a person do then?

And there's also the possibility of too much heat and what effect it will have on any solvents a wax may contain to think about...what state would the paste wax then be in?

Many people have melted waxes...but not for the purpose you have proposed.

Paste waxes are fairly stiff, somewhat moist mixtures...liquid waxes generally show fluidity....it's your choice to make on the structured form of waxes you will/want to use.

Just for poops and giggles...try Collinite's S-238 on for size...same as Colly 845, only a tad more 'pasty'. :)

Bob

yakky
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
The only reason I could see to melt it is to get it into a deodorant stick for easier application on pads. But after reading CG's specialized heating and cooling procedures for their boutique waxes, I wonder if it has an effect on the overall result.

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
IIRC correctly Collinite says that 845 IS the liquid version of 476. I would imagine it's basically 476 with a lot more solvent in it.

So you're trying to invent something that's already invented.

ArkayoDeetayo
09-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Ah Ok, thanks for everyone's replies. Before I use my 845 I just leave it in the sun for 5-10 min and shake it vigorously before use, I figured I could do the same with the paste, I just wanted to ask if anyone done it before, so I learn from someone's else experience as to whether its good or not. Thanks again for all your inputs, appreciate it.

ArkayoDeetayo
09-13-2011, 11:30 PM
IIRC correctly Collinite says that 845 IS the liquid version of 476. I would imagine it's basically 476 with a lot more solvent in it.

So you're trying to invent something that's already invented.

Ah ok, it's because someone told me 476 is the most durable of all the Collinites, so I figured I would layer a liquid form of 476 over my 845, but from the responses, it won't work or won't be a good idea.

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes, logically if 845 is "watered-down" 476, 476 is going to be more durable because for every "swipe" of wax on the surface you're going to have more wax and less solvent.

(yeah, so a few more molecules of thickness in our unmeasurably thin layer of LSP)