PDA

View Full Version : Does Opti-Coat Resist Oxidation too?

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-13-2011, 01:34 AM
A neighbor of mine has an older Benz. I believe its an 85', gold in color and he wants us to polish it out in a month or so but the main problem he is having with it is light oxidation keeps coming back on the hood and trunk. He apparently has been using a light hand polish and re-waxing it, but it still comes back over time.

It doesn't look BAD...it just looks sort of 'spotted' in areas...not like a really thick oxidation that you see on some cars...just more like a light discoloration.

I was wondering if applying Opt-Coat to the car would resist the oxidation and keep it from coming back.

I want to KNOW it will before i go and offer it to him though, because if it doesn't and somehow it reappears under the opti-coat, it would just be a paint to buff it all off and then remove the oxidation and then re-wax it again.

If anyone has any experience applying OC to an older car (Im thinking its a single stage paint too but not sure yet as i havent tested it, does OC work on SS paint to?) or applying it to a previously oxidized paint id appreciate feedback...and of course Chris if you happen to read this i'd love an official Optimum response to this too :)

thanks all

IOMCAMARO
09-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Opti-Coat definitely resists oxidation way better than a clear coat, but it sounds like your neighbors car is a single stage paint maybe? If so, nano coating haven't really been put to the test in this case. I asked about this a few weeks ago and got varied opinions. Some have used it with 0 problems though. Idk if it would help with the oxidation with a single stage paint though, because usually once a SS paint starts to oxidize, it will continue to do so forever.

Chris Thomas
09-13-2011, 11:10 AM
It works on ALL clear coats, but we have had a couple of reports where it did not bond to single stage paint (literally two reports). I cannot say whether it was prep or product in those cases, but you'll just have to try it out to be sure for your specific application. It should work...and as has been mentioned, Opticoat wont oxidize.

Setec Astronomy
09-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Sounds like from what Chris is saying, you just need to make sure you polish the oxidation off before apply the Opti-Coat. How fantastic would this have been back in the day on red SS??

opie_7afe
09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
i have not used the coating products(yet) but my thinking is use a polish with not a lot of oils in the product and of course do a eraser or ipa wipe down then apply the opti-coat. as i know single stage paint is a lot more porous then base coat clear coat paints.what i would do is ask the neighbor if you can perform a little test of a coating on say half of his trunk lid and wait a month see how it does compared to the other side.if it works well great if it don't well you only did a portion of a panel and did not waste much product.but i guarantee that benz is single stage paint as it has oxidation that keeps coming back quick. clear coat oxidizes yes but not as fast as single stage. good luck to you and hope you can fix the clients problem! he will be ecstatic if you can!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
It works on ALL clear coats, but we have had a couple of reports where it did not bond to single stage paint (literally two reports). I cannot say whether it was prep or product in those cases, but you'll just have to try it out to be sure for your specific application. It should work...and as has been mentioned, Opticoat wont oxidize.

Chris thanks for the input. I think i'll take my chances if its only 2 people who reported negatively on it. Im pretty close w/this neighbor so he should be understanding either way on if it does or doesn't work...but would surely be happy if it kept it from returning :).

One more question while i have your attention. A different customer of mine has this monster 40ft RV. It is stored in an uncovered area though. The sides are all fine and have no problems, but its an 07' and he already had to drop 2k to have the front and back caps repainted. I was wondering if OC would bond to a RV or not? I was just thinking if i did his front and back caps and the thin lip that runs the length of the RV. Since these are the only things that get direct sun i was wondering if i could apply it to just those areas and if it would keep the paint from fading/peeling like it has already started to do...but again, im unaware if it works on RVs or not.

i have not used the coating products(yet) but my thinking is use a polish with not a lot of oils in the product and of course do a eraser or ipa wipe down then apply the opti-coat. as i know single stage paint is a lot more porous then base coat clear coat paints.what i would do is ask the neighbor if you can perform a little test of a coating on say half of his trunk lid and wait a month see how it does compared to the other side.if it works well great if it don't well you only did a portion of a panel and did not waste much product.but i guarantee that benz is single stage paint as it has oxidation that keeps coming back quick. clear coat oxidizes yes but not as fast as single stage. good luck to you and hope you can fix the clients problem! he will be ecstatic if you can!

I'm thinking its a SS also and yes i know oxidation returns very fast on SS...but like you said, if we can polish it out and the OC works on keeping it from returning he'll be thrilled. This car really is his baby :props:

Chris Thomas
09-13-2011, 11:31 PM
One more question while i have your attention. I was wondering if OC would bond to a RV or not? I was just thinking if i did his front and back caps and the thin lip that runs the length of the RV. Since these are the only things that get direct sun i was wondering if i could apply it to just those areas and if it would keep the paint from fading/peeling like it has already started to

Yes, it will work on gel coat and fiberglass. I'm not sure about "peeling" though. That sounds like a bonding issue with the finish. It will help with the oxidation and fading for sure. Just prep it well.

Dr Oldz
09-13-2011, 11:50 PM
I have put OG on my one car that has SS paint. I can report no bonding issues and thus far, all oxidation has stopped. I would say it has been on about 3 months. I would normally see some oxidation on the car by this point but so far so good!

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Yes, it will work on gel coat and fiberglass. I'm not sure about "peeling" though. That sounds like a bonding issue with the finish. It will help with the oxidation and fading for sure. Just prep it well.

Thanks Chris. Yeah he has about 2 or 3 spots that have peeled (gel coat) so i'll have to see if he wants to just put it on the whole thing to protect all the good parts and hope the peeling spots dont get any worse...or if he wants to repaint the bad spots first and then have us do OC on it.